Journey Up the Mountain

Jared P

8 hours ago, Jared P said:

Saturday - 4/22/23

Best gripper session of my life. Finally busted through the stagnation, and hit a bunch of new PRs. Felt extremely strong, and like anything was possible.

Must be an awesome feeling.  Congrats on the new PRs!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, matek said:

Great close, big milestone!!

Going wider incrementally is a good idea, but I advise doing it with the Aaron Corcorran/CPW style choker system. Be careful with the hose clamp. 30mm is still totally fine, 38mm might be but not sure. But I would be surprised if the clamp doesn't slip off at 54mm. Even if it can hold it somehow, eventually it will pop off violently - opening your hand unexpectedly (+ you don't want a clamp projectile to your face 😅). 
20mm-30mm is a great range to train the final crush, but for anything wider, I would wait for Cannon's choker conversion service. Alternatively, convert it on your own. Have a small company drill ~25-30mm deep M6 (6mm) threaded holes into the handles. Or do it on your own with a vice, but it's hard to drill a straight hole in a cylinder without a drill press. Then this is what you need from a hardware store (although Amazon will be easier): 3x M6 stainless nuts, 2x M6 stainless male rod end bearings (heim joint), 1x M6x120mm full threaded stainless bolt, 1x M6 stainless knurled nut. 
After I typed this, I remembered you're in the US. So for imperial units, just replace M6 (6mm) with 1/4" (6.35mm), and 120mm with 5" (127mm). 

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the detailed information. Going to listen to your wise advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Must be an awesome feeling.  Congrats on the new PRs!

Hard to describe how good it felt.

Encouragement to all:
If you are feeling stuck on a level or plateau, keep pushing forward anyways. Keep training correctly, despite any discouragement that things will never change, or fears that you are even getting weaker (I had moments with these fleeting thoughts - I've been stuck trying to close my 2.5 for what seemed like forever). Eventually, the strength gains will arrive, often like an explosion of sudden unexpected power, despite being something like 10 RGC weaker just a few days prior. Keep training, and don't stop. Consistency + discipline + form + energy + time = success.

• Like 3

Congrats! Getting the 2.5 feels awesome. I, like you, was stuck trying to hit the 2.5 for ages. It’s a big milestone!

• Thanks 1

Saturday - 4/29/23

143 CoC 3
- Attempt; 15mm away

136 Standard Iron
- Attempt; 10mm away

127 CoC 2.5 (choked to 20mm)
- Attempts, not closed

122 CoC 2.5
- 4 reps of singles, deep set

116 Grip Genie Level 4
- 38mm block set attempt; missed by 5-10mm

104 CoC 2, and 107 GHP 5
- CCS attempts; missed by 1-5mm

100 CoC 2
- CCS attempt; closed

96 Standard Gold (77mm spread)
- TNS attempt; missed by 5mm

91 Grip Genie Level 3 (narrow 63mm spread)
- TNS closed for 3 reps

Other working sets and reps not listed.

Great session.

Considering I'm 15mm away from being able to close a light CoC 3, and I started not being able to close the 52 CoC Trainer 22 months ago, things are continuing to go very well.

• Like 5

Finding a lot of fun, and new challenges and goals, in training all gripper set positions. It wasn't something I ever considered when starting to train grippers, but it's something that has sort of materialized in the past few months - while compiling the Heavy Gripper Closes List, and hearing how people like Jaland Worley train, for instance.

Aiming for new PRs with each set type (TNS, CCS, 38mm block, MMS, DS, Choked), tracking their development with working sets and reps, and training them during each gripper session, has opened new ways to train and, thus far, has provided increased and more efficient gains and progress.

I've also been finding it useful to end my session with high reps of low rgc grippers such as the CoC Guide, including filed grippers, for 50-100 reps per hand, to really get the blood flow in the forearm and hand. I do the same with light extensor bands at the very end.

Fun stuff.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 7

Wednesday - 5/3/23

Some nice new PRs even on my weaker training day.

TNS - 100 CoC 2 | +9 rgc
CCS - 107 GHP 5 | +7 rgc
Choked - 132 Standard Iron (Choked to 13mm) | +5 rgc

Updated PR list:

TNS - 100
CCS - 107
38mm Block - 112
MMS - 116
DS - 122
Choked - 132 (13mm)

E6BB9087-093C-48DD-8995-EC86EBBA8273.thumb.jpeg.06c83d043f7d71af565ee662f8593b3e.jpeg

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 8

BF8378AE-5FE3-441D-848A-55AEF9EABA78.thumb.png.5059e27f68bbfb96acda35858c630a19.png

160 CoC 3.5
CCS attempt

I’ve got some ground to cover until I’m ready for the 3 cert. About 40mm, to be exact. Goal is to be ready sometime before the end of next year.

• Like 3

Saturday - 5/13/23

112 HG 250 - TNS - New PR

160 CoC 3.5 - CCS attempt - 5mm closer than last week, about 35mm away now

• Like 4

160 CoC 3.5 - CCS attempt

Measuring stick for the 3 cert.

May 6 vs. May 13

About 5mm closer in 1 week

BE9F2B37-0560-4049-9E26-5DB06D5BCD36.thumb.png.bcc2a713c0b66c07d2bfa4af9efd84b5.png1FC22E1A-1215-4EB4-A884-5A9FE7B11C92.thumb.png.e4ee315408bd25ba67f4a5f25f1bfc4b.png

Updated PR list:

TNS - 112
CCS - 112
38mm Block - 112
MMS - 122
DS - 122
Choked - 127 (20mm) / 132 (13mm)

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Saturday - 6/10/23

143 CoC 3
- About 8mm away now from closing this. Once reaching this stage on my 122 CoC 2.5, it was about 3-4 months before I could get my first close. As long as I get this thing closed this year, I'll be happy. Knowing a No. 3 close is maximum 4-6 months away is a great motivation, and will be my first genuine significant milestone in grip. CoC Trainer to CoC 3.

• Like 7

Good one

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new to report in the way of PRs, but making slow and consistent gains as far as reps at lower weights go.

I'm deep in the throes of my cutting season, down 20 lbs and probably around 10% body fat, so judging by last year, pretty normal to stall out for a bit on the gripper strength gains.

Best physique I've ever had, currently, and only hoping to get better and better over the years.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Update: August 7, 2023

Still chugging away with grippers, twice per week. Recently got about 3-5mm away from a 136 Standard Iron close, and my best attempt at my 143 CoC 3 is about 7-10mm away. Hoping to get the 143 closed by October or so.

Just started my bulk last week. Dropped to 179 lbs during my cut, and will probably end up around 205-210 by the end of the bulk, around April of next year.

I've been more focused and enjoying bodybuilding and armwrestling training the past couple of months, so grippers have kind of taken a back seat, even though I still train them.

Started working with a judo belt with weights attached a la Devon Larratt, and working on rising and pronating. Might be joining a local armwrestling club as well to get some table time in soon.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Haven't given an update on my own training in a while.

Armwresting:
Went to my first armwrestling practice this past week. Went well. Humbled. In pain. Some of the pain was quite rough. Taking a week or two off now to let the newbie pains heal up. Did some rehab with light resistance bands and light grippers all week. Feeling good by today.

Armwrestling lift training currently consisting of judo belt lifts. Rise, pronation, supination, ulnar deviation for reps. Devon-style singles lifts just starting. Wrist flexion (cup) and extension with dumbbells at the gym, standard bicep/back training at the gym.

Grippers:
Still on pace for my 143 CoC 3 close before the end of the year. Still sitting about 8-10mm away. 3-4mm away from my 136 Standard Iron. I've got my 127 and 132 grippers in chokers, but know I could close them both no problem.

Expecting a surge in strength over the upcoming months as my bulk picks up more steam, and I move into a strength peak. 146 GHP 7 could be possible before year-end also, but might be looking at Jan/Feb for that one.

My goals for certifications in 2024 are: MM0 and GHP7 for certain. MM1, MM2, and possibly CoC 3 are more uncertain, but hopefully possible. Aiming high.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Started experimenting with a new training method on grippers about 10 days ago, and the results so far have been very promising and extremely interesting. If this new experiment works, I'd be excited to share my findings in the future.

In conjunction with this new experiment, I have also trained as normal using some new methods learned from @Stephen Anderson, and observing/gleaning from the way people like @Carl Myerscough, @C8Myotome, and @dubyagrip train, as well as a few other sources, and compiling the best elements of these things together. I'd suggest seeking these guys out for programming and coaching if you can. Their results speak for themselves, and this learned wisdom is valuable information that can save yourself years of time and effort and spinning your wheels.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jared P said:

Started experimenting with a new training method on grippers about 10 days ago, and the results so far have been very promising and extremely interesting. If this new experiment works, I'd be excited to share my findings in the future.

In conjunction with this new experiment, I have also trained as normal using some new methods learned from @Stephen Anderson, and observing/gleaning from the way people like @Carl Myerscough, @C8Myotome, and @dubyagrip train, as well as a few other sources, and compiling the best elements of these things together. I'd suggest seeking these guys out for programming and coaching if you can. Their results speak for themselves, and this learned wisdom is valuable information that can save yourself years of time and effort and spinning your wheels.

Sounds Great man. I look forward to you elaborating on the new training style. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3611.thumb.png.a7f2112b76437c846383afb98d14df27.png

4mm away now on the 143 CoC 3, which will be my first ever 3 close. Goal of before the end of 2023, still on track. It’s gonna happen.

About 5-6mm gained in the past 3 weeks.

Training methods working well.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Jared P said:

4mm away now on the 143 CoC 3, which will be my first ever 3 close. Goal of before the end of 2023, still on track. It’s gonna happen.

Awesome progress man. Do you not use chalk? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome progress man. Do you not use chalk? 

I only recently, within the past month or so, started using chalk to train. I'm actually using chalk in that photo, just very lightly, and most it had absorbed/evaporated at that point - but enough remained to alleviate any slippage. I was also using flash on my camera to take that video (from where the photo originates), which reduces the visibility of the chalk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 11:35 PM, Jared P said:

This is awesome progress! Congrats! I hope your training is going well. :) 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

12/30/23

NEW PR - 143 CoC 3 deep set close

I was bound and determined to get my first ever CoC 3 close before the end of 2023, and I made it happen, in the final moments. My first attempt today was to 3-5mm, so I was doubtful about my chances. But I mustered up every last drop of energy, adrenaline, and testosterone in my body for one final rage-mode attempt, and gave it everything I possibly could. 100% max effort, nothing left in the tank.

I felt the handles touch, and watched the video back with screenshots to confirm. Success. FINALLY.

My first true big milestone with grippers. Starting from below the Trainer, almost exactly 2.5 years ago to the day, to ascend the ladder to my first ever CoC 3 close.

Next major goals are:
- GHP 7 certification (before the end of 2024, aiming high)
- CoC 3 certification (could take anywhere from 12-24 months to achieve)
- 100+ kg on the GM150
- Whatever level is achievable with the upcoming new Mash Monster cert

• Like 11

Right on 👍 that’s a great PR. Hard work pays off, good for you 

what a way to end the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1