How's your longevity program going?

hellswindstaff

In light of recent events in the strength world, I have decided to start a post on longevity. What do you do for longevity in the strength game and longevity in terms of your general health? Hopefully we can open a dialogue and learn a thing or two!

• Like 1

I'm still young, (almost 29),  not for much longer...... but I've noticed my recovery isn't quite the same, so I cut back on  beer.  Also I do online yoga every night I can.  I'm far from the strongest person here, but I can honestly say I've been pretty hard on my body between work and working out. I feel better now than I did at 18. But I'm now going about things more smart and much more rest, so I can hopefully say I feel better at 39 than 29.  For all the real younger people on the board... Listen to your body, know when you push it and when not too. Otherwise you'll snap tendons in your thumbs or strain your back a 100 times.   

I'm aiming to be Odd Haugen and still kick in my late 60s and beyond.   That guy is 72 and FINISHES his workouts with dead hangs on Rolling Thunders.  

• Like 5

In the grip world the biggest offenders seem to be too many 1 rep maxes, and not enough recovery. Just being patient is one of the biggest tools for longevity, and stop lifting with your ego. 

Some people also ignore the rest of the body and literally only do grip/wrist training which is a silly oversight both for health and performance reasons. You can't put a world class hand on a weak body, doesn't work that way.

• Like 5

I could write a book LOL

• Like 3

For starters, I walk between 1/2 hour - 2 hours everyday (It's how we were designed to get around).

I am just going to list some stuff that is beneficial and that I use or have used in the past.

Ramp up to maxes don't go above 90% for your maxes unless you can break a world record.

A training max should be easy and not grindy at all.

Do some gpp (general physical preparedness) which is resistance based cardio.

Examples are farmer's walks, sled drags,prowler pushes etc.

Do some high rep band pushdowns for elbow health and/or dead hangs for shoulder health.

Don't do too many exercises this can contribute to overuse injuries and inflammation.

Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.

Don't use any electronic devices before bed.

Use melatonin for better sleep.

Make sure you have as little stress as possible.

Don't hype yourself up before heavy lifts this negatively affects your recovery instead be calm and focused.

Don't grind reps on accessories and assistance exercises either.

Go for a hike every day.

Set longterm goals not short term goals.

Don't worry about time when it comes to goals just keep at it it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach a goal staying injury free is more important.

Make sure to rotate exercises in order to prevent overuse injuries.

Don't smoke

Don't drink

Make sure you have proper fatigue management.

Make sure you don't become quad dominant this causes knee injuries.

Make sure your back is stronger than your chest for injury prevention.

Make sure your upper back is stronger than your lats for injury prevention.

Buy a reverse hyper.

Don't party

Don't do drugs

Eat healthy

Don't get fat or shredded

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Do some high rep band pushdowns for elbow health and/or dead hangs for shoulder health.

Deadhangs are also good for spinal health... especially if you do a lot of barbell squatting.

• Like 2

Just now, hellswindstaff said:

Deadhangs are also good for spinal health... especially if you do a lot of barbell squatting.

Definitely! it decompresses the spine thanks for mentioning it I totally forgot about it!

Edited by DevilErik

The “secret” for longevity is simple – just don’t die!  If only it was that simple.  I’m 73 now and have lived 2 or 3 lifetimes it seems – I’ve been so blessed for so long with my health and ability to do whatever I wanted that the last decade or so is frustrating with all the things I’ve had to deal with.  I’ve made a really conscious effort to eat healthy, exercise religiously both with strength and aerobics – relaxation techniques – breathing exercises and on and on.  I eat well and I supplement to a small degree in accordance with my blood work results.  Which is something I think everyone should do starting when fairly young – get a COMPLETE blood workup including all hormone levels like thyroid – testosterone – etc etc etc.  Someday if you do have problems these numbers could prove very valuable.  See the doctor when sick – you just never know.  Don’t get BIG – and that means either fat or too much muscle as far as living a long time goes.  How many 300# 70 year olds do you see out and about living a good life?  Be aware of your genetics – talk to your parents – grandparents – aunts and uncles about things that run in your family that might pop up as you age – and write it all down along with the age at which family members developed those conditions or passed away.  And be happy – make a conscious decision to be happy each day – even when things aren’t perfect.  Don’t put off the things that make you happy – someday you won’t be able maybe – and try new and different things all the time – you just never know what just might turn out to be your next big thing that makes you happy.  I’ve come to believe that stress is a not so silent killer – do what you can to mitigate it.  Brush and floss your teeth – wear your seatbelt – don’t text and drive – and don’t get caught with the neighbors wife.  Train don’t test all the time in the weight room.   I know this is a mess to read but I’m pressed for time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

The “secret” for longevity is simple – just don’t die!  If only it was that simple.  I’m 73 now and have lived 2 or 3 lifetimes it seems – I’ve been so blessed for so long with my health and ability to do whatever I wanted that the last decade or so is frustrating with all the things I’ve had to deal with.  I’ve made a really conscious effort to eat healthy, exercise religiously both with strength and aerobics – relaxation techniques – breathing exercises and on and on.  I eat well and I supplement to a small degree in accordance with my blood work results.  Which is something I think everyone should do starting when fairly young – get a COMPLETE blood workup including all hormone levels like thyroid – testosterone – etc etc etc.  Someday if you do have problems these numbers could prove very valuable.  See the doctor when sick – you just never know.  Don’t get BIG – and that means either fat or too much muscle as far as living a long time goes.  How many 300# 70 year olds do you see out and about living a good life?  Be aware of your genetics – talk to your parents – grandparents – aunts and uncles about things that run in your family that might pop up as you age – and write it all down along with the age at which family members developed those conditions or passed away.  And be happy – make a conscious decision to be happy each day – even when things aren’t perfect.  Don’t put off the things that make you happy – someday you won’t be able maybe – and try new and different things all the time – you just never know what just might turn out to be your next big thing that makes you happy.  I’ve come to believe that stress is a not so silent killer – do what you can to mitigate it.  Brush and floss your teeth – wear your seatbelt – don’t text and drive – and don’t get caught with the neighbors wife.  Train don’t test all the time in the weight room.   I know this is a mess to read but I’m pressed for time. 

No this is great! Please post more when you have some free time and are hanging around on the gripboard.

Something that I rarely see mentioned is good posture and spinal alignment. You can breath much deeper, your heart works with greater ease, and you get better blood flow to the organs with a straight spine.

Since this is the gripboard... how often do you move your fingers (this is a rhetorical question for everyone)? Hand longevity is important.

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

I could write a book LOL

Btw... I would seriously buy that!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DevilErik Said it best, all I can add is don't let your ego get you into trouble.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Knowlton said:

DevilErik Said it best, all I can add is don't let your ego get you into trouble.

Anytime i've gotten hurt, at work or in the gym its been for this reason. Its one of those things we all go through..But It is the only way to learn unfortunately. 

One time about 8 years back I carried a heavy heavy statue for this elderly couple I take care of, he used to help me but at the time he was like 82  and still real strong then... But I was trying to do the right thing and not let him move it... I don't know what I injured exactly in my groin region... But it took MONTHS to heal, doctor checked for hernias. 

It hurt to go to the bathroom (both ways) and just working on my knees caused pain in my privates...  I forgot about this until now.  Its funny the stuff we go through, but then we forget about it.  

• Like 1

I am a big offender as far as the "rules" emerging here.  I do only grip, and lately only grippers.  I came to it relatively late (when I was in my late 40s, I'm 53 now), and I break lots of the obvious rules -- I eat too much so I am 20 pounds overweight, I don't sleep enough, I drink (socially but often, probably a beer a day on average), I always go for maxes.  I am aware of these transgressions but I have trouble controlling myself because I do this entirely for fun, not for strength or longevity.  And even so, I have no doubt that I am stronger than I ever was before.  Just slower and achier.

All that being said, I am following this thread because I know it is never too late to start being good.  I DO intend to lose 20 pounds in the next year, to eat healthier, to restart training since I have been doing almost nothing lately, and to choose a new strength goal (likely within grip), since I hit my gripper goals last year and want to try something different but haven't settled on it yet.

Good idea on the thread, it is good to see all the tips - many of them are agreed upon, and it drills them home better to hear it from several folks rather than just one, and also from folks older and younger than me, and with way more experience.

Cheers

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 2:07 PM, hellswindstaff said:

Since this is the gripboard... how often do you move your fingers (this is a rhetorical question for everyone)? Hand longevity is important.

I type all day.  Appeals lawyer.

• Like 1

There is a good mix of ages on the Gripboard, For us older folks who have been around a while we should give some insight on what to expect when you get older. So the younger lifters know what they got to look forward to. Basically what evil Eric said was a pretty good advice. 

I'm almost 60 years old I still work as a heavy equipment mechanic. I don't like to turn down jobs, so the bigger the dirtier and the heavier is where I live. In the early 90s I was real big into powerlifting. It was all about gaining weight and lifting the heaviest weight you can. As I got older I had to lose weight check my ego at the door and lift moderately. I still work out six days a week mostly moderate weight and a lot of reps. I'm very fortunate to have a gym at my shop and a gym at home. The saying at the gym is as long as you look good naked.

• Like 6

I recently read "When you are a young adult exercise is a recreation, but for an older adult it is a necessity."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

There is a good mix of ages on the Gripboard, For us older folks who have been around a while we should give some insight on what to expect when you get older. So the younger lifters know what they got to look forward to. Basically what evil Eric said was a pretty good advice. 

I'm almost 60 years old I still work as a heavy equipment mechanic. I don't like to turn down jobs, so the bigger the dirtier and the heavier is where I live. In the early 90s I was real big into powerlifting. It was all about gaining weight and lifting the heaviest weight you can. As I got older I had to lose weight check my ego at the door and lift moderately. I still work out six days a week mostly moderate weight and a lot of reps. I'm very fortunate to have a gym at my shop and a gym at home. The saying at the gym is as long as you look good naked.

Yup, i enjoy learning from everyone here.  Old or young, there is something to learn from someone. That's pretty cool what you do for work. Pretty physical too.

But please keep the pics to forearms, I don't wanna know how good you look  or dont look naked!

• Like 1

Yep I like hard work

• Like 1

Great thread. It keeps certain things in perspective, and encourages me to be more systematically consistent with daily health, stress mitigation, exercise, diet, active recovery outside, movement, and sleep. As the saying goes, "early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise", which is an idiomatic way of saying everything we know intuitively about longevity, consistency, and health. Most of us know instinctively what is good for the body, and what is not. It's just a matter of making a daily habit of it, and not veering off course if possible.

My current job is extremely intensive manual labor that is hard on the body. I'm happy to do it while I'm young, but eventually will want to venture into a less physically demanding source of income.

Self-imposed stress seems like a bigger threat to health than people realize. Stress should be avoided at all costs. After all, stress doesn't do anything to help any situation, only makes everything worse.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Great thread. It keeps certain things in perspective, and encourages me to be more systematically consistent with daily health, stress mitigation, exercise, diet, active recovery outside, movement, and sleep. As the saying goes, "early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise", which is an idiomatic way of saying everything we know intuitively about longevity, consistency, and health. Most of us know instinctively what is good for the body, and what is not. It's just a matter of making a daily habit of it, and not veering off course if possible.

My current job is extremely intensive manual labor that is hard on the body. I'm happy to do it while I'm young, but eventually will want to venture into a less physically demanding source of income.

Self-imposed stress seems like a bigger threat to health than people realize. Stress should be avoided at all costs. After all, stress doesn't do anything to help any situation, only makes everything worse.

you are 100% right about the stress.. I have had extremely high levels of it, I know i've taken years off my life, I didn't start or cause any issue but somehow fell into it 10 years ago.  

Edit *But i've since learned that you can't change certain things but you can change how you react, and I don't stress about it too much anymore.. Sleep is very important too... you gotta charge your batteries. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

you are 100% right about the stress.. I have had extremely high levels of it, I know i've taken years off my life, I didn't start or cause any issue but somehow fell into it 10 years ago.  

Edit *But i've since learned that you can't change certain things but you can change how you react, and I don't stress about it too much anymore.. Sleep is very important too... you gotta charge your batteries. 

Have you ever tried chamomile tea... it's good for calming you down.

Tea is good, 

But Every now and then my wife and I will go to the coast and sit and just watch the waves for a couple hours.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, hellswindstaff said:

Have you ever tried chamomile tea... it's good for calming you down.

Yes, I do drink it. I love the stuff, its great to calm down.