Back to grip! Rolling Thunder and 3 different Hubs comparison

Terry Conjugate Iron

After 4 months off, I'm back to training with different handles. Competition in 3 weeks at this point. Trying to bring my Rolling Thunder and Hub up to where they were. Severe forearm problems, this is right before a deep massage session.  Feeling progressively better, hopefully next week I'll be back to my working weights. 

• Like 5

Nice, glad you are feeling better and noticed you haven't been posting as much.. I never stopped but i've been coasting the last few months, I got weird tendonitis in my wrists, then getting sick twice and knocked on my ass. But i'm finally getting back in action as well.

the good thing about when this happens, at least for me.. sometimes other body parts get to heal that you don't realize need healing and it gets me motivated even more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice, glad you are feeling better and noticed you haven't been posting as much.. I never stopped but i've been coasting the last few months, I got weird tendonitis in my wrists, then getting sick twice and knocked on my ass. But i'm finally getting back in action as well.

the good thing about when this happens, at least for me.. sometimes other body parts get to heal that you don't realize need healing and it gets me motivated even more.

Thanks man, I tackled grippers again that's why I stayed off so long. Closed a few of my 300s and came a hair before closing the #3 so that was a good run. 

I've found that grippers really damage my hands, whether I go lighter for some reps or I go all out for goal grippers. My right forearm has some permanent damage from cutting meat and fish for 13-14 years and right at that elbow joint, everything hurts. Biceps and forearm attachments. Especially that little jerk the Anconeus muscle. 

I'm also focusing on getting a 375 bench at the meet so that's why I stayed off for so long. But all the other handles don't ruin my hands. Yes I get sore but they don't hurt me long term. 

So I'm gently getting back to rolling and Hub for the meet but I'm prioritizing powerlifting first. I want a bigger total. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Thanks man, I tackled grippers again that's why I stayed off so long. Closed a few of my 300s and came a hair before closing the #3 so that was a good run. 

I've found that grippers really damage my hands, whether I go lighter for some reps or I go all out for goal grippers. My right forearm has some permanent damage from cutting meat and fish for 13-14 years and right at that elbow joint, everything hurts. Biceps and forearm attachments. Especially that little jerk the Anconeus muscle. 

I'm also focusing on getting a 375 bench at the meet so that's why I stayed off for so long. But all the other handles don't ruin my hands. Yes I get sore but they don't hurt me long term. 

So I'm gently getting back to rolling and Hub for the meet but I'm prioritizing powerlifting first. I want a bigger total. 

Grippers where my first purchase, but the COC trainer-2.5... But I found out they are too rough on my hands and tendons. Once I got the Vulcan 2 and ISG, I can do a lot more and my hands feel great.  You are way stronger and know more about training then me, but, i suggest the Vulcan and don't give up on your goals... Maybe put it on the back burner for awhile but keep that pot simmering...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Maybe you should stop using grippers for a while they are only good for getting  good at grippers anyway.

Even absolute grip monsters like @AdamTGlass say that they are a waste of time.

I personally enjoy them but they destroy your recovery and they are pretty much useless because they only make you stronger at grippers.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Maybe you should stop using grippers for a while they are only good for getting  good at grippers anyway.

I personally enjoy them but they destroy your recovery and they are pretty much useless because they only make you stronger at grippers.

I respect your point of view but many other "grip monsters" enjoy crushing the eff out of grippers. David Shamey, Big Carl, Chez to name a few. My 15 year old son hates KP but loves grippers and that has led to him doing axle, 2HP and light wrist work. IMO, there is nothing like closing a gripper that you have worked so hard to get those handles to touch. Also, grippers can play a crucial part in how you fare in a grip contest.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

After 4 months off, I'm back to training with different handles. Competition in 3 weeks at this point. Trying to bring my Rolling Thunder and Hub up to where they were. Severe forearm problems, this is right before a deep massage session.  Feeling progressively better, hopefully next week I'll be back to my working weights. 

Very nice work and cool shallow hub!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I respect your point of view but many other "grip monsters" enjoy crushing the eff out of grippers. David Shamey, Big Carl, Chez to name a few. My 15 year old son hates KP but loves grippers and that has led to him doing axle, 2HP and light wrist work. IMO, there is nothing like closing a gripper that you have worked so hard to get those handles to touch. Also, grippers can play a crucial part in how you fare in a grip contest.

I personally love them and I love training them I just don't want him to think that they are necessary.

Grippers have also led me to doing axle and pinch so I have to thank grippers for that so I am in no way badmouthing grippers because I personally love them to death.

What I meant to say was with all that is going on in his training right now it might be better to stop training grippers for a while  because they are hard on your recovery and don't really have carry over to other things.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Grippers where my first purchase, but the COC trainer-2.5... But I found out they are too rough on my hands and tendons. Once I got the Vulcan 2 and ISG, I can do a lot more and my hands feel great.  You are way stronger and know more about training then me, but, i suggest the Vulcan and don't give up on your goals... Maybe put it on the back burner for awhile but keep that pot simmering...

Its definitely on my bucket list, so many expenses lately, will be a while before I get it. Did you get Covid? 

My problem is the right arm. Left arm gets tired but NEVER had issues with it. It recovers better and never gets stuck with nagging pain etc. 

I switched to the handles for now, but yeah grippers are my weakness for sure so I'll be returning to them soon lol 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I do them for a couple of months and then switch to pinch and all the other handles. I have many handles haha.... 

I think it's also individual. If my right hand was in the shape of the left arm, I wouldn't have to stop training grippers regularly. 

But years of damage just don't allow it to progress as fast. 

Lifting weights so vigorously doesn't help either. Squeezing the bar as hard as you can 3-4 times per week for 2 hour sessions is very taxing on your fingers. Didn't use to be but now at almost 41 it is. 

So I'll just have to cycle them on and off in order to progress steadily. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Very nice work and cool shallow hub!

Thank you! Man I love the Hub. Yet hate it so much haha... I want to get the bigger shallow one as well. Probably from God's of Grip. 

I couldn't move ANY weight with the shallow one. Pissed me off but I enjoy getting crushed so I can work harder 

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I agree with you when it comes to the joy of closing a goal gripper. Nothing compares. They're my favorite grip tool and that's why I try and collect them. 

It's like I told Erik, my body doesn't allow me to train them non stop. My forearm extensors get all screwed up in the right arm so I tend to switch back to Rolling Thunder, Hub and pinching for a month or two. Interestingly enough.... I didn't touch any grippers for over 2 months end of last year due to an online grip contest. And when I did come back, I closed a few goal grippers. 

I guess it's individual. 

P.S. I'm grabbing some more GHPs for my collection next month 👀👌

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Its definitely on my bucket list, so many expenses lately, will be a while before I get it. Did you get Covid? 

My problem is the right arm. Left arm gets tired but NEVER had issues with it. It recovers better and never gets stuck with nagging pain etc. 

I switched to the handles for now, but yeah grippers are my weakness for sure so I'll be returning to them soon lol 

yup, stomach virus and then a few weeks later covid.. The stomach virus was way worse, but covid  has left me with a ton of fatigue to this day. Its kinda embarrassing but I  really got knocked on my ass between the two of them, i'm still not right.   Like I said, I hope you can give the Vulcan a go someday.. Either way I know your gonna close what ever gripper you set your mind too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yup, stomach virus and then a few weeks later covid.. The stomach virus was way worse, but covid  has left me with a ton of fatigue to this day. Its kinda embarrassing but I  really got knocked on my ass between the two of them, i'm still not right.   Like I said, I hope you can give the Vulcan a go someday.. Either way I know your gonna close what ever gripper you set your mind too.

Nothing embarrassing about getting very sick man... It was forced upon you not much you can do. Has it been long since you got over Covid? 

It'll be in my house for sure one day, seeing as I'm not letting grip go away from my life anytime soon 💪

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Nothing embarrassing about getting very sick man... It was forced upon you not much you can do. Has it been long since you got over Covid? 

It'll be in my house for sure one day, seeing as I'm not letting grip go away from my life anytime soon 💪

I got it a week after New years. What is crazy is my symptoms where so mild, but after they left the fatigue kicked in. But i'm finally getting back to normal.  Just gotta keep pushing never stall!

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

I got it a week after New years. What is crazy is my symptoms where so mild, but after they left the fatigue kicked in. But i'm finally getting back to normal.  Just gotta keep pushing never stall!

That's right! I've found that you can always train something and to some extent. Within reason of course... 

P. S. Just received a package from Heavy Grips, turns out the ones I have are counterfeit. Much like so many other brands. Shame. The company was kind enough to send me a package for review. Should be going up sometime this month 💪👀

44 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

That's right! I've found that you can always train something and to some extent. Within reason of course... 

P. S. Just received a package from Heavy Grips, turns out the ones I have are counterfeit. Much like so many other brands. Shame. The company was kind enough to send me a package for review. Should be going up sometime this month 💪👀

MORE GRIPPPEEEEEEERRRRRRRRSSSS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

MORE GRIPPPEEEEEEERRRRRRRRSSSS

That's right!! They're on my desk... Still in their packaging... Looking at me.... They're looking at me Erik 👀😐👁️😐

• Haha 1

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

That's right!! They're on my desk... Still in their packaging... Looking at me.... They're looking at me Erik 👀😐👁️😐

Hahaha you nearly made me choke on my apple thanks for that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Hahaha you nearly made me choke on my apple thanks for that.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Haha.... Hey that's what happens to me when I see your comments on my YouTube videos loool.... 

Apple huh? I see.... 👀🐖😐🐽 Just kidding lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Haha.... Hey that's what happens to me when I see your comments on my YouTube videos loool.... 

Apple huh? I see.... 👀🐖😐🐽 Just kidding lol

Hahahah 

Grip piggy with his apple? 🤣