CoC3 attempt no3, really close....

Terry Conjugate Iron

Hey guys, a few days ago I had a conversation with @Emmanouil Marizaswho's clearly more experienced than me in grip.

After I explained to him that I go through many lighter grippers for 1-2 closes he suggested that I should close my fists without a gripper, then cut my warm up sets in half. 

Indeed last Sunday I attempted my CoC3 for a third attempt since I got it. And it came literally a hair before closing. 

It was even closer than the clip I uploaded about 10 days ago. 

I went from the 2 straight to the 3 without taxing my hand with the 2.5

It worked. (I remember Nathan Holle also not being much into warming up).

So I did some light pronation/supination with the opposite hands and stretched my fingers also lightly. No hyper extension or anything. 

What's your routine? I find that I'm lacking knowledge on this subject. 

Also, my setup is terrible... Need work getting my setting hand out of the way. 

• Like 9

Great attempt but can I make a suggestion…..your set finger looks way too high up on the handle. As I am sure you know the further down you are on the handle equals more leverage. I only put enough of my set finger on the handle that would be needed for my pinky to replace it when the time comes. You should put the rest of the fingers above where the set finger goes and the pinky replaces the set finger once you get your set 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Hey guys, a few days ago I had a conversation with @Emmanouil Marizaswho's clearly more experienced than me in grip.

After I explained to him that I go through many lighter grippers for 1-2 closes he suggested that I should close my fists without a gripper, then cut my warm up sets in half. 

Indeed last Sunday I attempted my CoC3 for a third attempt since I got it. And it came literally a hair before closing. 

It was even closer than the clip I uploaded about 10 days ago. 

I went from the 2 straight to the 3 without taxing my hand with the 2.5

It worked. (I remember Nathan Holle also not being much into warming up).

So I did some light pronation/supination with the opposite hands and stretched my fingers also lightly. No hyper extension or anything. 

What's your routine? I find that I'm lacking knowledge on this subject. 

Also, my setup is terrible... Need work getting my setting hand out of the way. 

The higher the level of the athlete the lower the reps! Well done bro 🔥

• Like 1

Your are right there Terry, it will not be long before you close it like it is a #1

22 hours ago, Chez said:

Great attempt but can I make a suggestion…..your set finger looks way too high up on the handle. As I am sure you know the further down you are on the handle equals more leverage. I only put enough of my set finger on the handle that would be needed for my pinky to replace it when the time comes. You should put the rest of the fingers above where the set finger goes and the pinky replaces the set finger once you get your set 

Appreciate the constructive comment! 

Watched it again after you pointed that out and it indeed is almost an inch higher than it should. I even think my ring finger was affected by my setting finger. Great point... 

I need to be more technical right before I start closing. Cause I start losing it from the adrenaline lol

• Like 2

Take the lightest and heaviest grippers you have, work only your setting ability. Do not even close the gripper, work the setting only.

Get an idea of where you are in terms of resistance of light versus heavy. Record yourself attempting both, slow it down and note everything you can improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Appreciate the constructive comment! 

Watched it again after you pointed that out and it indeed is almost an inch higher than it should. I even think my ring finger was affected by my setting finger. Great point... 

I need to be more technical right before I start closing. Cause I start losing it from the adrenaline lol

Love your attitude….you will go far with it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Take the lightest and heaviest grippers you have, work only your setting ability. Do not even close the gripper, work the setting only.

Get an idea of where you are in terms of resistance of light versus heavy. Record yourself attempting both, slow it down and note everything you can improve.

Done!! Great comment, thanks John! 

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Love your attitude….you will go far with it. 

Hey I've done 20 powerlifting and strongman contests combined. I came prepared haha. Thanks man.. 

4 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Done!! Great comment, thanks John! 

You're welcome

• Thanks 1

Another tip I can give to improve your gripper strength. Attempt to lift an adjustable dumbbell with your ring and pinky fingers. Go light on this movement with a weight you can handle. Only increase weight by a few pounds over time.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2022 at 10:31 PM, John McCarter said:

Another tip I can give to improve your gripper strength. Attempt to lift an adjustable dumbbell with your ring and pinky fingers. Go light on this movement with a weight you can handle. Only increase weight by a few pounds over time.

You mean just try to pick it up and put it back down? 

I can do something like that, I got Olympic dumbbells at home. 

I sometimes do gripper closes for ring finger and pinky with the gripper upside down. What do you think about those? 

And thanks! 

2 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

You mean just try to pick it up and put it back down? 

I can do something like that, I got Olympic dumbbells at home. 

I sometimes do gripper closes for ring finger and pinky with the gripper upside down. What do you think about those? 

And thanks! 

Glad to help.

You can do that. I've done many different methods: timed holds, reps, rows, tossing the weight and attempting to catch it with those two fingers.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Glad to help.

You can do that. I've done many different methods: timed holds, reps, rows, tossing the weight and attempting to catch it with those two fingers.

I've recently come to realize that the pinky during a close is kinda like a tricep in a bench lockout. It's needs to be strong so you can complete the attempt. 

And yes you've helped a lot! I've been on here a little over a year and my approach has changed entirely! Grateful 💪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I've recently come to realize that the pinky during a close is kinda like a tricep in a bench lockout. It's needs to be strong so you can complete the attempt. 

And yes you've helped a lot! I've been on here a little over a year and my approach has changed entirely! Grateful 💪

Also, I would dare say that it’s more beneficial to have the pinkie fully on the bottom of the handle, as opposed to the half of it off for leverage like has been shown in some teaching. Your pinkie looks right. Sure, going down the handle may reduce the tension in leverage, but it increases the load in the fingers that can’t help as much because of the v shaped handles when closed. Plus it reduces dexterity; the hand works stronger as a unit. Just my two cents I had hanging around. 😀

Edited by slazbob
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slazbob said:

Also, I would dare say that it’s more beneficial to have the pinkie fully on the bottom of the handle, as opposed to the half of it off for leverage like has been shown in some teaching. Your pinkie looks right. Sure, going down the handle may reduce the tension in leverage, but it increases the load in the fingers that can’t help as much because of the v shaped handles when closed. Plus it reduces dexterity; the hand works stronger as a unit. Just my two cents I had hanging around. 😀

Controversy! Lol... I don't think I can have it any lower cause I feel like I lose tension... I'm just trying to "sharpen" my ability cause I really think the strength is there. Thanks man. I'll definitely experiment with it. 

@John McCarter your thoughts? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Controversy! Lol... I don't think I can have it any lower cause I feel like I lose tension... I'm just trying to "sharpen" my ability cause I really think the strength is there. Thanks man. I'll definitely experiment with it. 

@John McCarter your thoughts? 

Depends on what works for the individual and their goals.

I need to get back into grippers and note what works on my end 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 5:21 AM, John McCarter said:

Depends on what works for the individual and their goals.

I need to get back into grippers and note what works on my end 

Has it been a while since you trained grippers? 

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Has it been a while since you trained grippers? 

Last training cycle was in 2018.