Deadlift PR after 7 years of turmoil

Terry Conjugate Iron

It's been seven years since I had that terrible injury. Didn't stop. Kept climbing back up. Seven freaking years for 12.5kg.

Contest in a few months. Hoping to get as close as I can to that coveted 600lbs club... Here's 555lbs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

It's been seven years since I had that terrible injury. Didn't stop. Kept climbing back up. Seven freaking years for 12.5kg.

Contest in a few months. Hoping to get as close as I can to that coveted 600lbs club... Here's 555lbs.

Inspirational as f*ck!

Congrats Brother!

Like I have said before I respect the hell out of you for not giving up!

You are a warrior! 

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Inspirational as f*ck!

Congrats Brother!

Like I have said before I respect the hell out of you for not giving up!

You are a warrior! 

Appreciate you Erik! I did try 580 and got it off the ground, but it felt too heavy and I dropped it. Didn't wanna exhaust myself. Don't like missing lifts either. Probably miss 3-4 lifts per year at most 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE WORK

Thanks John! Can't wait to compete again! 

10 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Strong deadlift man. Congrats 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Strong deadlift man. Congrats 

Appreciate it! Trying to get close to a 1500 total eventually 💪

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Appreciate you Erik! I did try 580 and got it off the ground, but it felt too heavy and I dropped it. Didn't wanna exhaust myself. Don't like missing lifts either. Probably miss 3-4 lifts per year at most 

You will get it next time!

• Thanks 1

Hey Terry what is your PR for the squat and Bench

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Was wondering that myself. What is your best total Terry? And in what division?

Should just run "coan-phillipi". That's an easy 15-20kgs right there.

Last time I ran it it took me up to 300kgs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Got a 165kg bench in competition in 2015 and 2018. Then did 170kg in the gym with a bounce, nothing crazy. Still controlled. But my stupid friend had his hands on the bar so to me that doesn't count. 

Squatted 230-235kg in competition in 2015 and 2018 as well. Last year I did 250 or 255kg in training. But I haven't tested my lifts in competition so I can't really claim that number. 

I've had a 635kg/1400lbs total twice, 2015 at my best and at 275lbs and in 2018 again in the 308lbs category. 

I'm looking to beat that in April. Training really hard for it. I'm in the masters category. 40 years old. 

Haven't competed in powerlifting in 3+ years now mostly due to Covid and moving back from Iceland to Greece, trying to rebuild from scratch. Been a tough 3 years. 

Got a lot to prove, to myself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Was wondering that myself. What is your best total Terry? And in what division?

Got you covered above buddy lol 👆👆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

Should just run "coan-phillipi". That's an easy 15-20kgs right there.

Last time I ran it it took me up to 300kgs

I have done so, a couple of times. I've ran many programs since 2011. And since 2015 I make my own 👌

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Got a 165kg bench in competition in 2015 and 2018. Then did 170kg in the gym with a bounce, nothing crazy. Still controlled. But my stupid friend had his hands on the bar so to me that doesn't count. 

Squatted 230-235kg in competition in 2015 and 2018 as well. Last year I did 250 or 255kg in training. But I haven't tested my lifts in competition so I can't really claim that number. 

I've had a 635kg/1400lbs total twice, 2015 at my best and at 275lbs and in 2018 again in the 308lbs category. 

I'm looking to beat that in April. Training really hard for it. I'm in the masters category. 40 years old. 

Haven't competed in powerlifting in 3+ years now mostly due to Covid and moving back from Iceland to Greece, trying to rebuild from scratch. Been a tough 3 years. 

Got a lot to prove, to myself. 

Very strong numbers big guy! 250kg+ squat is strong 💪 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very strong numbers big guy! 250kg+ squat is strong 💪 

Thanks man! I mean.... In the amateur ranks it's decent... Just like I told a friend of mine recently, I worked so much in factories etc while at my peak, that now at 40 I'm actually stronger simply cause my job isn't as hard as it used to be lol... 

If I play my cards right, I should be slowly improving until I'm around 45-47 👌

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Thanks man! I mean.... In the amateur ranks it's decent... Just like I told a friend of mine recently, I worked so much in factories etc while at my peak, that now at 40 I'm actually stronger simply cause my job isn't as hard as it used to be lol... 

If I play my cards right, I should be slowly improving until I'm around 45-47 👌

That imo is a legit excuse. I do blue collar work and years ago I worked long shifts at a tire facory that left my back so wrecked I just gave up on deadlifting(had to just squat and press). It takes it's toll on you for sure especially as we get older. It's impressive you can be this well rounded given the work requirements 👊

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

That imo is a legit excuse. I do blue collar work and years ago I worked long shifts at a tire facory that left my back so wrecked I just gave up on deadlifting(had to just squat and press). It takes it's toll on you for sure especially as we get older. It's impressive you can be this well rounded given the work requirements 👊

I did almost 20 years of hard labor. Talking about cutting fish for 10 hrs a day, bouncing 3 nights per week, training 4 days per week and training clients 3 days per week. Did that for 4 years until 2019. 

And for 13 years I worked with fish which required me going to the market which opened at 1am so I'd do 12hr days easily. 

I got 9 injuries and only one of them is gym related. A light peck tear early 2013 which took 3 months to heal. Everything else is work. Which in retrospect is a damn shame. 

Brother anything that you do bending over is brutal. Even if you had to just bend over for hours per day. It's insane friction on the spine. 

I think there's a strong connection with blue collar mentality and persistence in training. And I see that very much with gripsters. I respect it immensely. 

• Like 3

There is nothing wrong with hard work

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

There is nothing wrong with hard work

It's life's greatest school

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

we must not joke, the 600lb is part of the class of very low lifts, it is the elite in fact like 300 kg and 400 kg it is a tiny part of a country so what impresses me is is not giving up despite your pain; your metal strength is greater than normal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 4:17 AM, steeve tremblay said:

we must not joke, the 600lb is part of the class of very low lifts, it is the elite in fact like 300 kg and 400 kg it is a tiny part of a country so what impresses me is is not giving up despite your pain; your metal strength is greater than normal

Thank you very much. I just love it so much you know? It fulfills me, otherwise I wouldn't take my body through this for 9 years now. 

I agree. I see 23 year Olds pulling 700+ pounds, it's just insane. The sport is evolving and all the other stuff is too. So we try our best with what we have. 

Good lifting and Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:26 PM, climber511 said:

Good lifting and Good Luck!

Appreciate you. That post was 2 years ago. Managed to get a Master of sport in the deadlift with 262.5kg at 41 years old in that meet. Very pleased with it. 

• Like 2