does gaining mass help with grip

Karl

3 hours ago, Karl said:

Id assume for certain grip related lifting,gaining mass for strength may assist. But what about for straight hand crushing type grip? Can you achieve your max say on Coc whilst maintaing a lean physique? 

I don't think weight matters at all when it comes to crushing grip.

I also think you can be as lean as possible while still having an insane crushing grip.

I have had to quit my regular resistance training completely due to severe back problems and being in pain all the time but I have only been gaining crush grip strength.

I don't think muscle mass matters that much when it comes to grippers due to it being neuromuscular efficiency for the most part.

However you will probably make more progress when you incorperate heavy rows, deadlifts,pull ups etc because of the grip strength component.

And you will obviously gain muscle in the process of getting stronger on those rows,deadlifts and pull ups but I don't that muscle size itself does anything for grippers.

I have also never been in a caloric surplus while training grippers and I can nearly no set a 300 lbs gripper which is the equivalent of a CoC 3.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

I'm going to find out, i'm gonna cut back on cardio which i suck at anyways and try and bulk up.  But i'm starting BJJ once i feel better. That plus sledgehammer swings will be cardio enough.

I'm sure it does help, but not like it does with powerlifting.   Because its all tendon strength a lot of it. But the stronger you are overall, the stronger the  potential for your grip is. 

Edited by Blacksmith513

21 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm going to find out, i'm gonna cut back on cardio which i suck at anyways and try and bulk up.  But i'm starting BJJ once i feel better. That plus sledgehammer swings will be cardio enough.

I'm sure it does help, but not like it does with powerlifting.   Because its all tendon strength a lot of it. But the stronger you are overall, the stronger the  potential for your grip is. 

My training hasn't helped my grip at all but that's because I have only done hypertrophy training and even though hypertrophy raises your strength ceiling you still need to lift heavy in order to teach your muscles how to exert maximum force.

I have never maxed out on anything besides grippers so that's why I am not strong at all.

Also I weighed 265 when I first got my gripper and my starting strength on grippers wasn't strong at all.

So in my opinon you really have to train heavy in order for muscle mass to help your gripper strength.

Doing 10-20 rep sets hasn't done anything for my gripper strength.

So I'd say pure muscle size is useless for grippers unless you actually lift heavy.

By heavy I mean a maximum of 3 reps per set.

Even 5's didn't help my grip.

Edited by DevilErik

I think it's 100% genetic. Some boys can close huge grippers and it doesn't even look like they have ever lifted a weight.

For somebody else it might be the complete other way around. Like for me, I have to gain mass to get stronger. That's partially why it's so hard for me to make gains. My strength gains always comes after I gain more mass.

Grip strength, and grippers in particular is extremely dependant on the CNS. So if you have those genetics. Good connection with your muscles you can make huge gains without adding a lot of mass.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think it's 100% genetic. Some boys can close huge grippers and it doesn't even look like they have ever lifted a weight.

For somebody else it might be the complete other way around. Like for me, I have to gain mass to get stronger. That's partially why it's so hard for me to make gains. My strength gains always comes after I gain more mass.

Grip strength, and grippers in particular is extremely dependant on the CNS. So if you have those genetics. Good connection with your muscles you can make huge gains without adding a lot of mass.

I 100% agree.

Every person has to gain muscle in order to get stronger on things like the squat, the bench and the deadlift.

The difference is that some people gain a shit ton of strength when they gain muscle and other people like myself only gain a tiny bit.

I am super weak for my size but I do have a considerable amount of muscle mass.

And like you said since grippers are extremely dependant on the CNS I think they are the exception to the rule.

And another thing is that it is kinda hard to compare someone's muscle size to someone's strength.

I said that size equals strength in another post and what I meant by that is that muscle size equals strength potiental meaning that a bigger muscle has more strength potiental.

But that doesn't mean that a big person it automatically strong.

In the end everything comes down to genetics and you just have to make the best of it.

I have no idea how muscle mass affects pinch and thickbar though.

You obviously have to have a large amount of muscle mass for a big axle or saxon bar deadlift but when it comes to the loading pin I have no idea.

But for me the actual force production of my hands doesn't seem to be correlated with my muscle mass.

Edited by DevilErik

Also some people are super strong but they don't really look like they lift due to bad muscle insertions.

There is also a huge genetic component to looking jacked.

2 people can have similar amounts of muscle mass and one can look jacked and the other one looks like he doesn't lift.

So that also makes it difficult to tell whether muscle mass actually helps grip or not.

• Like 1