Gripper training methods

Ivan Cuk

Singles with a hold is the key

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I don't really do continuous reps. I do for instance a single close every minute or so. That's what I meant by 15 singles. I close it, hold it for a few secs, rest. And then at it again. I need to bring back TNS. Used to be good at it 

Ah like that that's an impressive work capacity man!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Singles with a hold is the key

I've seen that somewhere else, still haven't really grasped it.. Is that the thing we're you close the gripper and then squeeze as hard as you can even though it's closed? 

43 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I've seen that somewhere else, still haven't really grasped it.. Is that the thing we're you close the gripper and then squeeze as hard as you can even though it's closed? 

Nah thats overcrushing, Reps with a hold is just holding it shut for a longer period of time than you usually do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have already posted once but I will again to expand a bit and lay down my point of view on training:

PART 1

Every % is important to train up. 10 lbs RGC is important. Guide, Sport, Trainer, whatever.

EVERY DAY

It's just intellectualization that has nothing to do with the body talking about "what works for you". Many things work. For total body prowess you need a conditioning base.  To reach the peak one requires an incredible foundation.

For endurance standards I go with this self-made equation:

( ( 1.185 ^ [100 - % of max] ) * Transcendental Might ) + Dino Wall Slamming Grit

Yes I include stuff that you should ignore.

The ^ sign means "to the power of" which means how many times you multiple the number by itself. So at 100% you have 100 - 100 which is 0. This makes 1.185 sum up to 1 in mathematics, so you should be able to do 1 repetition.

If you do something at 95% then you got 100 - 95 = 5, so multipled 1.185 by itself 5 times. This results in about ~2.28. So at 95% you should be able to get 2 repetitions and a quarter rep.

At 90% you should be able to do 5 repetitions.

At 80% you should be able to do 29 repetitions.

At 70% you should be able to do 162 repetitions.

At 60% you should be able to do 888 repetitions.

At 50% you should be able to do 4851 repetitions.

At 40% you should be able to do 26, 491 repetitions.

At 30% you should be able to do 144, 638 repetitions.

At 20% you should be able to do 789, 710 repetitions.

At 10% you should be able to do 4, 311, 729 repetitions.

An example of people doing something at 40% of their strength for ~26k repetitions can be found in push - up and body weight squat world records. 60% of body weight goes into a push up so a 200 lb man will be pushing 120 lbs which is probably about 40% of the record holder's max bench (300 lbs). Depends on range of motion as well of course. Just because it's a world record doesn't mean more can't be done of course.

An example of people doing something at 10% of their strength for 4 mil repetitions is difficult to find because it's a waste of (bad word filter)in' time. Get an ivanko gripper or baraban gripper to get down to this level. Yes you will experience pain and fatigue if you do 100, 000+ squeezes with 5 - 20 lbs of resistance. Train it up! More difficult at full close per usual so one has to take that into account. I bet none of you can full close 10% of your max for 10k repetitions in a row. Not even 5 lbs. Your hand would get tired just doing the air motion of closing and opening the hand and you would give up before hitting 10k. 10k is .25% of the goal reps here.

An example of 30% for 144k repetitions is difficult to find but David Goggins has ran a 205 mile race so what would that be? 144k steps for 200 miles would be 720 steps per mile.  Usually it's close to double those steps for a mile and 288k would be closer to 26% with this equation. That's about right.

An example of world records not being a good indication of potential is the plank world record. Last year someone got 8 hours then this year someone got 9 hours. If people really train for something they can do it for 20 hours every day and sleep for 4. I have heard the account of an old sailor that could work for 16 hours a day and sleep for 4 hours while the younger generation could work up to 12 hours a day and slept for 6 - 8 hours, and I'm sure if it really mattered he could do 20 hours a day.

PART 2

Not that anyone should be able to do this day 1 but it's what anyone can train up to. I don't think people can give their 100% either except when the planets align and this could explain some discrepencies especially at lower percentages. What's important is building up an endurance base along with heavy training, AND agility training; developing your senses, finesse and willpower are also all-important.

So 7 things: Strength, Stamina, Agility; Senses, Finesse, Willpower. DURABILITY. Get all 7 trained up, train multiple at the same time, and things happen. All together you have Prowess. Just a matter of how much a person is willing to invest.

Full body is always important and will affect your progress in any specific part of the body. Even organs are more 'fit' from training.

People exist below 50% exertion. Heavy movements are just minutes for those training pretty hard. 30 seconds x 20 is still just 10 minutes of lifting heavy or doing some sort of gymnastic move. Most everything we do is below 25% even. So people spend 8 hours at close to 0% (sleeping) then 10% - 30% throughout the day. Even hard manual laborers aren't working at above 50% most of the time they're working --> look at it second by second. When they work around 50% or more for long periods of time they get stronger, until what they're doing is below 50%. One or two muscle group gets used more than the others while the rest of their body is working at or below 50% most of the time. A breath or three is taken between difficult movements. Breaks are taken. The work is broken up with short and long periods of rest. And so on.

Don't break down because you live closer to sleep than peak exertion. Work hard.

The parts getting hit harder don't get much conditioning at the 10 - 50% range, they aren't training full body diligently, and they're doing physical work without more training experience to round out their perceptions, and thus they have pain, psychologically distressed feeling used, and it doesn't feel like they're growing as a result.

Most important is to be consistent and adapt, especially emotionally. Being emotionally distressed will drag you down. So body must be trained as well as emotionally. Open and strain your senses, develop finesse, and exert willpower.

One should train at all %s. Doing Full body, all %s, reaching max effort at each % EVERY DAY is the training goal here and makes progress in all directions possible. Doing less doesn't ever make anything better. I have never heard of someone doing less and getting more results. I have only heard of people doing a lot of training for a time, seeming to get nowhere, then taking a break and coming back only to bust out new PRs. That's how it works. No one can convince me of otherwise and I am better off for it. I will not listen to bullshit.

Do more grow more is the principle.

Edited by Dylan
clarified a small point

PART 3

Check out Ben Patrick. The Kneesovertoesguy has great material for creating an athletic body whether you're an senile cripple or 20 with 5 knee surgeries. Free info.

Every weak link is nuclear shit. Train finger extensors and make sure every opposite muscle/ bend is at least 50% strength of the strong side. Train it up. Sissy/ Limbo squats (which is like an inverse deadlift) should be trained to at least 50% of your deadlift. Shins should be trained to half of calf strength ( so a tib raise of at least body weight ). Opening the jaw should be trained along with side to side and forward back.

Wearable weights are great. I have linked a synopsis of studies that are relevant; 300% muscle mass and 50% increase in muscle fiber count after a training regime involving up to 35% of body weight on a single wing of a bird for 24 hours followed by 48 hours of rest, along with the rest of the program over the course of 1 month. All in all you can do any sort of limber and awkward movement and wind up getting more out of it which makes it easy to MOVE MORE. A weight vest with 15% BW, ankle weights with 2 x 5% body weight and wrist weights with 2 x 2.5% body weight is a great start. If you can move in all the ways a person can move but with slightly more weight easily, you can move without the weight very well and add even more weight slowly enough that you'll reach a point you forget you're wearing a 150 lb weight vest, 2 x 30 lb ankle weights, and 2 x 20 lb wrist weights while playing soccer or basketball or something.

Finally, slow vs fast reps. Ballistic speed and explosivity is great. 1 minute long repetitions are great (30 seconds both ways). Regular speed is great. All of it is part of training and one needs a mix of the three to get the most out of things.

My training philosophy is to do something, and work into doing everything. Immersion is important. Increasing total work done is most important. Grow.

Hypertrophy vs Hyperplasia.pdf

Edited by Dylan
added a little

14 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Nah thats overcrushing, Reps with a hold is just holding it shut for a longer period of time than you usually do

Ah got it, thanks... By the way I just closed my first 300 gripper yesterday. Parallel set but hey that's a start right? 

Worked for so long to get this done. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dylan said:

PART 3

Check out Ben Patrick. The Kneesovertoesguy has great material for creating an athletic body whether you're an senile cripple or 20 with 5 knee surgeries. Free info.

Every weak link is nuclear shit. Train finger extensors and make sure every opposite muscle/ bend is at least 50% strength of the strong side. Train it up. Sissy/ Limbo squats (which is like an inverse deadlift) should be trained to at least 50% of your deadlift. Shins should be trained to half of calf strength ( so a tib raise of at least body weight ). Opening the jaw should be trained along with side to side and forward back.

Wearable weights are great. I have linked a synopsis of studies that are relevant; 300% muscle mass and 50% increase in muscle fiber count after a training regime involving up to 35% of body weight on a single wing of a bird for 24 hours followed by 48 hours of rest, along with the rest of the program over the course of 1 month. All in all you can do any sort of limber and awkward movement and wind up getting more out of it which makes it easy to MOVE MORE. A weight vest with 15% BW, ankle weights with 2 x 5% body weight and wrist weights with 2 x 2.5% body weight is a great start. If you can move in all the ways a person can move but with slightly more weight easily, you can move without the weight very well and add even more weight slowly enough that you'll reach a point you forget you're wearing a 150 lb weight vest, 2 x 30 lb ankle weights, and 2 x 20 lb wrist weights while playing soccer or basketball or something.

Finally, slow vs fast reps. Ballistic speed and explosivity is great. 1 minute long repetitions are great (30 seconds both ways). Regular speed is great. All of it is part of training and one needs a mix of the three to get the most out of things.

My training philosophy is to do something, and work into doing everything. Immersion is important. Increasing total work done is most important. Grow.

Hypertrophy vs Hyperplasia.pdf 130.14 kB · 2 downloads

Yeah i'm probably gonna stick with what i've been doing, Its worked wonders thus far

Hey Terry, great job on the 300. how did it feel,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Terry, great job on the 300. how did it feel,

Thanks John!! Man that took a while year to close. Literally. Received it December of 2020 and closed it beginning of this month lol. 

Felt freaking amazing. I really needed that. Was sooo close for months at some point I was kicking chairs at home lol... 

• Like 1

nice, good for you

• Thanks 1

I am real close to closing the  2.5 should have it done

by Feb. or mar. but my goal is the # 3 by the end of the year

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice dude destroy that 2.5

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

You'll get it I'm sure. What is your current heavy gripper, for reference? Can you handle the 2 easily? 

one # 2 is 105lb. one #2 is 111lb. and my 2.5 is 129lb. and i will check the # 3 when i get home

I can handle both #2 ok