Gripper training methods

Ivan Cuk

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah and to be honest I think most people are more like you and I am the weird one. Most people are surprised with the amount of volume I do on grippers.

I am also weird because my no set is stronger than my deep set lol.

I usually only do 8 reps in an entire workout.

I did 10 today because I was hitting PR after PR.

I completely stall with higher volumes.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah and to be honest I think most people are more like you and I am the weird one. Most people are surprised with the amount of volume I do on grippers.

I always train as heavy as possible so I have no idea whether or not I can handle higher training volumes but I am not really interested in trying because the routine I am using right now is just perfect.

Also lowering the weight in order to get more reps is something that destroys my motivation.

I only care about weight PR's.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I always train as heavy as possible so I have no idea whether or not I can handle higher volumes of training but I am not really interested in trying because the routine I am using right now is just perfect.

Also lowering the weight in order to get more reps is something that destroys my motivation.

I only care about weight PR's.

Haha yeah I hear ya hitting a new weight pr feels way better than a new rep pr. I can’t deep set either can’t even take a heavy gripper to parallel. I would say my ghp block set is just about as strong as my mms set.

also I’m probably close to 50 reps per workout haha.

Edited by Nuttgens

Just now, Nuttgens said:

Haha yeah I hear ya hitting a new weight pr feels way better than a new rep pr. I can’t deep set either can’t even take a heavy gripper to parallel. I would say my ghp block set is just about as strong as my mms set.

I can't even credit card set my grippers setting hurts my joints and makes me so tired that it zaps my closing strength.

I also feel weaker using a set because I am used to "exploding" into the close so the speak.

I have tried this with my Vulcan as well I couldn't even move level 15 on the vulcan using the CROM spring with a CCS.

Then I tried doing the same thing with an "ultra wide set " which means setting the vulcan a tiny distance so I could get my pinky on.

That's when I nearly closed it.

• Like 1

Just now, DevilErik said:

I can't even credit card set my grippers setting hurts my joints and makes me so tired that it zaps my closing strength.

I also feel weaker using a set because I am used to "exploding" into the close so the speak.

I have tried this with my Vulcan as well I couldn't even move level 15 on the vulcan using the CROM spring with a CCS.

Then I tried doing the same thing with an "ultra wide set " which means setting the vulcan a tiny distance so I could get my pinky on.

That's when I nearly closed it.

Haha that’s nuts man I can no set my hg300 but I have tried my ghp7 a couple times and I’m not even close getting it started with my pinky off the handle is super tough for me. The heavy grip is a bit easier because it’s narrower and also lighter 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Haha that’s nuts man I can no set my hg300 but I have tried my ghp7 a couple times and I’m not even close getting it started with my pinky off the handle is super tough for me. The heavy grip is a bit easier because it’s narrower and also lighter 

My hands are very large they are 22 cm long which is 8.66 inches and they are very wide.

This still doesn't explain why my no set is stronger though because some people with even larger hands say that their no set sucks.

I also don't recommend my methods to anyone  because all the top gripper guys say that training MMS and DS works much better than training no sets.

This is just what works for me my goal is to certify on the no.3 CoC without a set.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Despite having altered it all the credit goes to Nathan Holle.

This is my version of his program.

I took the lower end of his volume recommendations and use no sets instead of parallel/ccs and wide sets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Despite having altered it all the credit goes to Nathan Holle.

This is my version of his program.

I took the lower end of his volume recommendations and use no sets instead of parallel/ccs and wide sets.

Nice! What’s your best close so far? I also plan on certing the #3.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice! What’s your best close so far? I also plan on certing the #3.

I can nearly no set close my 300 lbs gripper it's unrated but people on here have told me that it's probably as difficult as a no.3 CoC. 

I can also nearly close the highest setting on my Ivanko Super Gripper which is 180 rgc but since it's an extension spring gripper it's difficult to compare it to torsion spring grippers.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I can nearly no set close my 300 lbs gripper it's unrated but people on here have told me that it's probably as difficult as a no.3 CoC. 

I can also nearly close the highest setting on my Ivanko Super Gripper which is 180 rgc but since it's an extension spring gripper it's difficult to compare it to torsion spring grippers.

Nice. Do you own a coc 3?

5 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice. Do you own a coc 3?

No I don't I wanted to get one but they are sold out right now.

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

No I don't I wanted to get one but they are sold out right now.

Hopefully back in stock soon would be good for practicing for the cert.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

TUT = Time Under Tension.

Try holding the grippers closed for a longer time in your workouts. You can do this by doing more reps or simply by holding it shut for longer time on each close. Preferably do a mixture of both.

I get it... I guess I'm stupid to not be using my setting block then lol.. 

I noticed considerable progress when I was timing myself holding the block in place with the 300 gripper I mentioned. 

Maybe I should bring the holds back. I noticed that guys who could hold the block on place for 30 secs or so, were able to close the 300 gripper with a parallel set 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Hopefully back in stock soon would be good for practicing for the cert.

Yeah they have been out of stock for a long time now.

All CoC grippers except for the No.4 are out of stock right now.

I really want to try a CoC the knurling seems crazy the torsion spring grippers I have right now are knurled but they still feel rather smooth.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I didn’t know that. That sucks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I didn’t know that. That sucks.

True but oh well they"ll be in stock again someday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I really want to try a CoC the knurling seems crazy the torsion spring grippers I have right now are knurled but they still feel rather smooth.

If you want aggressive knurling you'll love the CoC. I certainly do. Where are they sold out? Holland? I got mine from Rogue Europe last year. 

Edited by Terry Conjugate Iron
  • Like 1

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

If you want aggressive knurling you'll love the CoC. I certainly do. Where are they sold out? I got mine from Rogue Europe last year. 

I want to get them from rogue europe as well but they are out of stuck and they have been for a while now.

The no.4 is the only one that is still in stock because nobody can close it lol.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Haha 1

I had a crazy training session today btw I closed my 250 lbs gripper for 6 singles after my attempts with the 300.

I could not even close it for 1 after my attempts on Monday lol.

I normally do 4 singles after my attempts but I was on a roll so I decided to try 2 more reps and managed to get all of them.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

I want to get them from rogue europe as well but they are out of stuck and they have been for a while now.

The no.4 is the only one that is still in stock because nobody can close it lol.

I'm only missing 4 and 0.5 but I did have to wait for the 2.5 and 3 as well. A few months I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I had a crazy training session today btw I closed my 250 lbs gripper for 6 singles after my attempts with the 300.

I could not even close it for 1 after my attempts on Monday lol.

That's great! I can close all my 250s for at least 15 singles yet I can't complete my damn 300s by a hair. I'm an idiot lol

Just now, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I'm only missing 4 and 0.5 but I did have to wait for the 2.5 and 3 as well. A few months I think. 

I really want to try the 3 I might be able to close it the grippers I have now are almost smooth there is some knurling but it doesn't do much.

So I think the knurling is going to help me a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

That's great! I can close all my 250s for at least 15 singles yet I can't complete my damn 300s by a hair. I'm an idiot lol

Nah man you are not high reps on grippers are just useless.

Some people can close the 2.5 for 25 reps but they can't close the 3 lol.

Try to stay away from reps above 3 and you will be fine.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Nah man you are not high reps on grippers are just useless.

Some people can close the 2.5 for 25 reps but they can't close the 3 lol.

Try to stay away from reps above 3 and you will be fine.

I don't really do continuous reps. I do for instance a single close every minute or so. That's what I meant by 15 singles. I close it, hold it for a few secs, rest. And then at it again. I need to bring back TNS. Used to be good at it 

• Like 2