Best 2 1/2 Gripper?

ulgrim

The SM and GM seems to be much more inconsistent than the RB grippers. I heard a while back that there was something wrong with some GMs, that they were easier than SMs. Thats why I recommend the RB grippers. The 210 and 240 are better IMO.

I received my BB SM yesterday and it was an absolute beast. I bought it hoping that it would be a stepping stone to closing my #3 again (recent car wreck). It is definitely HARDER to close than my #3! I can still get my #3 consistently to @ 1/4" or less with a good set. I only managed @ 3/4" or maybe slightly less with the BB SM. I gave it to a few people who have messed with my grippers, and they all agree that it is significantly harder than my #3 or for that matter, ANY #3 that I have ever tried. Of course I've only tried a handfull of #3s...but still. Kind of bizarre. So I ordered a PDA .280, again hoping to have a stepping stone. We'll see.

Ben Edwards

Bencrush, I also recently (about two weeks ago) received a BBSM from mr. Tetting.

Mine is also definitely not anywhere near a 2.5. It's as hard as my three(s) - possibly even a bit harder.

hah---maybe I shouldn't buy a BB SM if they vary so much :ohmy

that leaves RB 210 and RB 240, and PDA .280

I still might buy a BB SM though, even if it's not around 2.5 it should still be a usefull step eventually

First: you gotta take gripper ratings with a grain of salt.

Second: remember they get easier as the grippers get seasoned.

Third: BB and PDA grippers are a little narrower so it will be harder at the close.

Fourth: You will only have a vague idea of how your gripper compare untill you can

close all the grippers you are comparing. (Trust me on this one)

Finally: If you are really concerned about about the right resistance, buy a grip machine.

-HH

Cut a 1/4'' off your #2 (both sides) and you'll have what you want (about 2.5) you

want a 2.7- 2.8 cut off 3/8''.

QUOTE (ulgrim @ Oct 21 2003, 01:54 AM)

what would one use to cut aluminum? 

Use a good file.

If you are going to use a file try to use one that is designed for soft metals

like aluminum or brass.

If not and you use a hard metal file, the aluminum shavings will become imbeded

in the cutting teeth and you will then have to remove the shavings with a

stiff wire brush. ( I hate to see a good file ruined) :)

A file called a "Double Cut" machine file will remove the material fast, but will

leave the surface rough.

A "Single Cut" mill file can then be used to smooth out the rough surface.

After that buff it out with some 400 grit wet or dry sand paper..........

Also do not saw the file back and forth. Push it in a single linear motion

That is if you want to go through the trouble ;)

If it were me I would use a 12 inch 32 teeth hacksaw blade

Did you use a haclsaw for making a BTR gripper? '

If your making the handles shorter use a hacksaw. If your making a BTR grippper use a file.

-HH

OK, got my BBGM and BBE today. My GM is definitely easier than my #3. I think I made the right call there. It's significantly harder than my #2, but not as hard as the #3. Hold a gun to myt head and I'll say 2.8ish. The BBE feels approx as tough as my #3, but that means squat, since I have to use both hands to close either of them. A cheat close feels the same, but the last 1/8 might be tougher on the E. I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to feel more difference when there's one hand doing the work.

I just recently received a supermaster and it is a true beast. I was looking for an in between gripper but this one I would rate at about 2.8 or 2.9. I am very happy with it thought, good quality, good price and it shipped here quick.