Best 2 1/2 Gripper?

ulgrim

I need a gripper between #2 and #3 because 85 ip is too big a hop, so I'm thinking of getting a gripper around 240 ip, hopefully around a 2.5-2.6.

What gripper should I buy and what's the link to the website?

edit> I just looked at RB and BB grippers, and I'm thinking a RB 240 ip or a BB SM or GM. which would be closest to an ironmind 2.6? meaning 240 pounds the way ironmind rates them.

edit2> I don't know the difference between pounds and inch pounds either so help me out here guys :blink

Edited by ulgrim

Get a BBM from WLW. That should take care of the gap.

what's WLW?

I've been looking at different websites and right now I'm leaning towards a brass RB but not sure if I should get 240 or 260 ip or what :blink

(brass because looks really matter when training hand strength!)

wlw is weight lifters wharehouse; wwfitness.com. I bb master might be too close to a 2 I would try a bb supermaster. Good Luck

I have a Grand Master coming, which on paper is supposed to be between the two, but people are saying that it's closer to a 3... I'll find out this week for myself... If it's a 2.5, I think I should be pretty close to closing it (I'm assuming it's harder than that based on what I'm hearing now). Beyond that I should be able to compare it to where I'm at on my #3. So if you're not in a huge rush, I'll be able to recommend either a Super Master or a Grand Master as the intermediate sometime this week. (Based on a #2/GM/#3 comparison)

Cool, thanks to all 3 of you, anybody else have advice? I'm going to hold off on buying a 2.5 for a couple weeks (don't have any money anyways...) so any replies are greatly appreciated.

At the moment I'm thinking a BB SM or RB 240ip

Based on your comments I would go for the BB SM but I want to wait and see if anybody here has experience with RB grippers or other stuff.

Also, how's the quality for BB grippers?

I have RB210 and RB240 and pda .280 and BBGM. All of these grippers are inbetween 2 and 3 for me.

Big Steve and Dave said my pda .280 felt like about a 2.6 and I have to agree because the two #3's I have are quite a bit harder to close than the pda.

My RB 210W is about the same as my pda .280. Hope this helps you some. I'm looking to get another BBGM and a BBSM and BBE soon.

My BB Supermaster is much harder than my 2 and much easier than my 3, I would say it is probably almost exactly a 2.5, however as everyone knows grippers vary.

Out of curiosity, how hard is a RB 240ip compared to a #3?

Now I'm thinking BB SM, RB 210, or PDA .280.

I have a SM and a 280. Both are excellent and I like em better than CoC's. The SM is about at 2.4 and the 280 is about a 2.8.

-HH

I've been looking through all the threads I can find, and reading this one, and the idea I'm getting is that a RB 210ip tends to average around 2.5, PDA .280 tends to be around 2.7-2.8, and a BB SM seems to average 2.4-2.7.

So, the PDA .280 is probably out for me as far as a 2.5-2.6 gripper goes.

Alot of people seem to think BBSM would be around 2.6 so I'm leaning towards this gripper.

RB 210ip seems to be 2.4-2.5 so that's another possibility, especially to help train my left hand (which I believe needs a 2.4 or so at the moment.)

Thanks guys for all the replies and keep em comin, I'm trying to get an idea of all the best intermediate grippers. :D

I don't have any RB grippers yet, but have the other intermediate grippers discussed and would agree that the closest to a 2.5 is the BBSM.

I was in the same boat and bought an RB240. Way closer to my #3 at the close, but closer to my #1 for the first inch. It has a black chrome spring if that has any influence on the strength curve. I'd say 2.7-2.8 for me.

For what it's worth I've actually gone backwards in terms of the #3 since I got it. Even the #2 feels hard to set after playing with the 240.

Jeff

I received my BB SM yesterday and it was an absolute beast. I bought it hoping that it would be a stepping stone to closing my #3 again (recent car wreck). It is definitely HARDER to close than my #3! I can still get my #3 consistently to @ 1/4" or less with a good set. I only managed @ 3/4" or maybe slightly less with the BB SM. I gave it to a few people who have messed with my grippers, and they all agree that it is significantly harder than my #3 or for that matter, ANY #3 that I have ever tried. Of course I've only tried a handfull of #3s...but still. Kind of bizarre. So I ordered a PDA .280, again hoping to have a stepping stone. We'll see.

Ben Edwards

The SM I have is also quite hard. Just under my weaker #3, maybe a 2,8 or 2,9. I would get a RB 210 and 240, those are very good in between #2 and #3 grippers.

Now I am totally confused. I'll be curious as to what my impressions are. I mean there's something up when on paper the SM is a 2, but people say it's a 2.5, but it's harder than Ben's 3, but the GM which is harder than an SM is a 2.8... AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

I'm just gonna wait and see what I think of the GM, and if I think it's too close to my 3, I'll order an SM. What the heck, it's only $20.