Alex's grip log - journey from the start

Alex K

• 2 weeks later...

The journey continues! Practicing some wider MMS closes now with my 161 SG Cobalt. This was the 5th set, I think I got the cert-width down now! Despite the many test-closes, this one still felt very relaxed!

Do you guys think this is a safe mash monster set width to pass for sure? 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Alex K said:

The journey continues! Practicing some wider MMS closes now with my 161 SG Cobalt. This was the 5th set, I think I got the cert-width down now! Despite the many test-closes, this one still felt very relaxed!

That to me almost looks like a 30mm block set, so no doubt a pass 😁

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Alex K said:

Yes Alex, this is much better.  Pausing briefly to show the set and clearly showing the handles touching...perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Training update:

I have actually been training daily for the past 4 days with moderate volume and heavy closes, just because it felt right :) was even able to hit a big PR and cross into the 180s yesterday!

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Alex K said:

Training update:

I have actually been training daily for the past 4 days with moderate volume and heavy closes, just because it felt right :) was even able to hit a big PR and cross into the 180s yesterday!

That's a huge milestone to hit, congratulations on the PR!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

That's a huge milestone to hit, congratulations on the PR!

Thanks! I am hoping to continue improving the DS closes, and along with them everything else :)

• Like 1

Quick heavy grip work from today: 

Numbers are getting real serious! Hopefully this will get closed soon! The narrower handles make it easier for me, although I‘ve heard that it‘s a split situation - some feel more comfortable with thicker handles 🤯

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alex K said:

Quick heavy grip work from today: 

Numbers are getting real serious! Hopefully this will get closed soon! The narrower handles make it easier for me, although I‘ve heard that it‘s a split situation - some feel more comfortable with thicker handles 🤯

You'll get that soon enough, My GG6 is just as much of a brick, It hits that wall sooner than CoCs do

• Like 1

So close 

you will get it soon 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 5:57 PM, Alex K said:

Wow man, you have come along way since I was last on here. 161 RGC is a Very strong crush.

• Like 1

Some of the training today:

Getting much closer with the 192 GG6! 

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 4

Looking good 

keep working you will get it soon 

• Thanks 1

Today’s workout:

Yesterday I strained my trap doing some random calisthenics stuff. Basically a movement too advanced for someone not familiar with the sport (me) 😆 due to this strain I was left rather stiff in the neck and shoulder area, which also affects gripper closes. When you go “all in”, those muscles tense up too. So I decided to do a moderate and “controlled” workout today, giving it 95% but not more to avoid further injury! Here’s a close from today: 

I would’ve done a longer hold for sure, but I felt like this would probably aggravate the trap further, so I decided to keep it balanced today. Hopefully it’ll be gone in a few days! 🫡

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 6

Nice grip work

look at your grippers in the background 

nice

• Thanks 1

Hope your trap heals up quickly - I believe you made the right decision to take it easy for today. Excellent heavy attempts last week also. 192 is rare territory.

And I thought my 46 grippers were a lot. You've practically got a museum going there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very strong close despite your trap injury, hopefully it'll heal up quick.

I noticed in one of your YouTube vids that you use a washer to choke a gripper. What size washer do you use? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys! The trap is feeling muchg better now, maybe a few more days of taking it easy and it'll be back to normal!

As for the washers, I haven't used those in a while, but I'd have to check the diameter. I remember it being the same washer for a #3 and #3.5, the #2.5 and the #4 required different sizes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Training update:

Still training quite frequently (low volume high intensity), this seems to be working out quite fine! Did a small PR yesterday at the gym:

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Big update - I started Armlifting! 🤠

I have set up a cool Armlifting setup in my garage, I currently got the following equipment there:

IronMind: Pin (large), Hub, RT and a poster 😋

Robert Baraban: Pinch Blocks 50mm and 100mm, Pin (small)

Also the RGT by GripGenie and tons of plates I got for super cheap on the German craigslist equivalent!

I will now implement about one to two weekly workouts there, and see how this goes!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Alex K said:

Big update - I started Armlifting! 🤠

I have set up a cool Armlifting setup in my garage, I currently got the following equipment there:

IronMind: Pin (large), Hub, RT and a poster 😋

Robert Baraban: Pinch Blocks 50mm and 100mm, Pin (small)

Also the RGT by GripGenie and tons of plates I got for super cheap on the German craigslist equivalent!

I will now implement about one to two weekly workouts there, and see how this goes!

Awesome haul. I can't wait to see your progress.

As far as rolling handles you will find that your RGT is much tougher than the Ironmind RT. The RGT spin is crazy and the handle is so slick. Fun to use though.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2