Grip Attack

John McCarter

Deadlifts are killer, nice work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. A few years ago it would be nothing for me repping 400 lbs, now it's a struggle to approach 300. Never had a movement beat the crap out of me this bad. Breathing issues is no fun and I deal with it daily. And that's got to change.

• Like 2

Keep moving forward never give up 

• Like 2

Getting back into lifting and training feels different with my current state. Another day where nothing feels right physically. Breathing is more shallow than yesterday; squatting almost cause me to black out. Found some smelling salts and good night did it ever kick my rear. My health may be getting to me, but I'm still finding a reason to exercise.

Received a package with a rolling handle yesterday, one of those simple cable attachment handles for machines. Now I can bring back 2 finger lifting for assistance work. Haven't preformed this movement in years and attempting to figure out where I am again. And even with the weight I used, the pinching of the fingers is something I expected, it did not disappoint. 

8/30/2023 workout

Bodyweight @ 272lbs

Hip Squats: 96x10/140x10/213x14

Pushups: B.W.x5x10

Gripper: (Adjustable) 1-1x10/6-6x10/#2x10/169x1x1x1

TTK: 26x25x20x20

2 finger lift: 76x3x4x5 (Index-Middle/ring-pinkie)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Breathing is more shallow than yesterday

You’ve mentioned breathing trouble in almost every post. Can I ask; Why can’t you breathe?

Feel free to tell me “mind your own business!” :)

26 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You’ve mentioned breathing trouble in almost every post. Can I ask; Why can’t you breathe?

Feel free to tell me “mind your own business!” :)

I'll send you a pm

Today is one of the better days I've had recently. Breathing is spot on and gave zero problems for this session. Even mentally, felt good with the workout. Deadlifts surprised me when I pulled over 300lbs. Wasn't expecting it to happen. Bodyweight is a little higher than expected. Going to work on it to lower it.

8/31/2023

Bodyweight @ 275 lbs

Deadlifts: 135x4/226x2/316x2x2

Kettlebell Press: 35x9x9

Barbell rows: 135x10x10

Wrist Roller: 78x20x20x20x20 (forward and reverse)

• Like 7

Today was a mix with everything going on. At one point, I'm bent over sweating my butt off and breathing like I climbed 20 stories with a 50lb weight vest on. 

9/01/2023

Bodyweight: 274lbs

Half mile walk

Grip Machine: 100x10/145x5/171x5/197x5/208x3x3

1HP: 28x10x10/54x2/75x3x3x3

2 Finger lift: 55x10x6

• Like 1

I want to clear some air on some of the things I've posted over this last week. In 2017, I developed severe sleep apnea. If nobody has dealt with having it, be glad. I get about 30 minutes or 2 hours of sleep per night. But even knowing I have the condition, I pushed beyond it and sought out help. Most of it has done nothing to change anything. Last couple of years my depression has gotten worse so I overeat. I have no one to blame except myself.

And like most things, my life choices have caught up with me in the worst ways. I thought being big is awesome, it's not. I've reached the limit of what my body is meant to handle physically. It's costed me a lot of things in terms of physical and mental health. At this point, I truly feel if I don't change my life around in the next couple of months, or a year from now, my health might take a turn for the worse and I could die if nothing changes. I don't want that.

Even with all my struggles, I want to change my life. I'm working on my diet and choices one step at a time.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

I want to change my life. I'm working on my diet and choices one step at a time.

This is EVERYTHING. You are a champion. :bow 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dude I am with you . I was in Powerlifting for years were the bigger you are the stronger you are . And I liked it sure I was way over weight but I was strong . Because of that I got sleep apnea. Sore back bad knees, just had my first knee replaced. I went from 285 down to 220. Took some time but worth it. The body feels better. The hard part is the mental part . it took a couple years to get over that. If I can you can, just on step at a time.

never give up keep moving forward 

you are not alone we are here for you.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:26 PM, Cannon said:

This is EVERYTHING. You are a champion. :bow 

Thanks

On 9/1/2023 at 9:09 PM, John Knowlton said:

Dude I am with you . I was in Powerlifting for years were the bigger you are the stronger you are . And I liked it sure I was way over weight but I was strong . Because of that I got sleep apnea. Sore back bad knees, just had my first knee replaced. I went from 285 down to 220. Took some time but worth it. The body feels better. The hard part is the mental part . it took a couple years to get over that. If I can you can, just on step at a time.

Thanks for sharing that info. It's going to help with reminding myself to attack this weight loss goal of mine.

• Like 2

Kept it simple and did only walking. Was a good day. Took a couple of rest while walking to catch my breath, but I had to push on.

9/02/2023

walked a little under a mile.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, John McCarter said:

I want to clear some air on some of the things I've posted over this last week. In 2017, I developed severe sleep apnea. If nobody has dealt with having it, be glad. I get about 30 minutes or 2 hours of sleep per night. But even knowing I have the condition, I pushed beyond it and sought out help. Most of it has done nothing to change anything. Last couple of years my depression has gotten worse so I overeat. I have no one to blame except myself.

And like most things, my life choices have caught up with me in the worst ways. I thought being big is awesome, it's not. I've reached the limit of what my body is meant to handle physically. It's costed me a lot of things in terms of physical and mental health. At this point, I truly feel if I don't change my life around in the next couple of months, or a year from now, my health might take a turn for the worse and I could die if nothing changes. I don't want that.

Even with all my struggles, I want to change my life. I'm working on my diet and choices one step at a time.

Sleep apneas rough, most of my uncles have it and my dad does but he wont do anything about it....  

You will get there, one day at a time and never forget your goals.

You want to make the change, thats the first step and never forget that. I was fat growing up 214lbs at age 13.. Ever since then I started working out and haven't ever lost my fire...  Like Slim says 

"You have to want it more than anything else in your whole life...you gotta want it that bad."  I live by those words.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:09 PM, John Knowlton said:

Well said and great work yourself John.

• Thanks 1

Saw the doctors yesterday about my health and gave me some meds and nebulizer. Weight is coming down slow, but that's fine with me. Going to be interesting to see what happens when I get down to 200-204lbs. Getting use to this diet is taxing on the brain and not use to it, just need to remember to take it one day at a time.

First time using a kettlebell in years. 35lbs kicked my butt and I was ready to pass out while doing swing. Not going super hard, doing what my body can handle.

9/03/2023

Bodyweight: 270 lbs

2 hand Kettlebell swing: 35x100x100x53

Kettlebell cleans: 35x18x14x10

1 mile walk

• Like 6

Weight is continuing to fall. Down to the 260lb range now.

Mentally tired today, got about 45 minutes of sleep and it affected my performance today. But I have no excuse to rest, still going after my goals little by little.

Haven't gone for a walk yet, I'll do that later today.

9/04/2023

Bodyweight: 269lbs

Hip Squats: 94x10/139x10/185x13

Pushups: BWx5x5x5 (slow reps)

Dips: BWx5x5x5

Gripper: Adjustable 1-1x10/7-7x10/#2x7x3/160 filed #3x3x3x3x3

Flask 1HP: 75x2x2/86x1x1 (lifted to 7.5in)

TTK: 26x10x10x10

2 Finger lift: 55x3x3x3 (I-M/R-P)

• Like 8

Way cool,  one step at a time 

• Like 1

Continued from earlier. Ready to call it a day. Said I would get in some walking and that's what I did.

Walked Over a mile.

• Like 4

Tired and mentally out of it today. Decided to do walking only. Even it took a great effort to get done.

Walked 2 miles

• Like 1

Noting both yesterday's workout and today's.

9/06/2023
Bodyweight
@269lbs

Axle Deadlift: 134x5/145x5/176x5/224x5/245x5

Axle Rows: 134x15x12x10

Knee lifts: BWx5x8

walked under a mile

9/07/2023

Bodyweight @ 270lbs

Gripper: GG1x10/GG2x10/#2x10/171 #3.5x1x1x1x1

Flask 1HP: 54x5x5x5

Gripper Setting: GG1x3x3/128 #2.5x3x2

TTK: 40x12x12x10

Pinch Flexion: 13x10x10x12

2 Finger lift: 57x3x3x3 (I-M/R-P)

Reverse curls: 38x10x12x10

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I’m interested, what is this exercise?

Didn't know the name for it. Think of plate curls but you're curling backwards between the legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1