"Lists"

climber511

I'm curious how many people have "lists" or "challenges" they pursue regularly that include multiple pieces and parts of strength and aerobic fitness like Mike's Challenge or my 75 x 75 challenges etc.  As I age I find my health demands (and I enjoy) challenges besides one rep max attempts.  

• Like 2

I don't, and this is only a little related but there's a longevity expert named Peter Attia who has good thoughts on this. He came up with some goals for what he thinks he should be able to do at 100 and then scales upwards from there to derive goals for 90,80,70, etc. 

His 100 year old physical list is:

"Get up off the floor under your own support, walk up and down a flight of stairs carry groceries, lift ~30 lbs. over your head, and do a 30-pound goblet squat" 

Then scale those up to where ever you should be now based on your age and taking into account the massive decline that will happen as you approach 100.

19 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I don't, and this is only a little related but there's a longevity expert named Peter Attia who has good thoughts on this. He came up with some goals for what he thinks he should be able to do at 100 and then scales upwards from there to derive goals for 90,80,70, etc. 

His 100 year old physical list is:

"Get up off the floor under your own support, walk up and down a flight of stairs carry groceries, lift ~30 lbs. over your head, and do a 30-pound goblet squat" 

Then scale those up to where ever you should be now based on your age and taking into account the massive decline that will happen as you approach 100.

Just saw on the news some 100yr old guy went skydiving.  Pretty good to even make it to 100, especially for a man. A statistic was given the other day "If you're 100yrs old there is an 80% chance you're a woman" so it's much more rare for a man.

• Like 1

The "beginning" for me.  The 60 x 60 List.  I add - subtract - modify (mostly downward these days) every 5 year period.  

Starting at age 56, (March 20, 2005) I decided to make a list of goals to try and do before I turn 60 years of age.  The name I choose was 60 by 60 but I ended up with a few extras and seem to add a few more all the time.  Some of these I have done in the past, some I have never even tried the event before.  Some I’m sure will be fairly easy, some are already done, and some will just seem like a good idea when I see someone do it the first time.  Some of these I remember as childhood milestones – like 50 pushups and the first time I touched the rim at basketball.  Hopefully I have set up a list of events that will result in a fairly well rounded older strength and endurance athlete if accomplished.  And if not, the attempt should certainly prove interesting and challenging – and keep me out of mischief for a while.  I will no doubt adjust some of these upwards when accomplished and others will just be checked off and forgotten.  Others might well be the impossible dream – but a man needs those as well.  Right now, I have 65 things on the list but it might grow, who knows?  There's more than 100 items to choose from these days.  

• Like 2

I have a few goals for this year besides my GPP Testing.  They are all "agains" and some are very stretch goals given my age and deteriorating musculature.  lol  Some are also contradictory, like weight loss and strength.  But hey, why not try right?  If I only get a couple of them, I still got a couple more than I would have if I didn't try.  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

In 2020 at age 52/53:

Dunk a basketball again (been 8 years)

Squat 405 again (6 years) - best was 425

Deadlift 600 again (6 yrs) - best was 600 without a suit on - strangely, this is probably the least important for me.

Bench 315 again (5 years) - best was 340 TnG

Run a 10K again (35 years) - Don't remember time, but I ran several in cross countr training in High School.  Best 5K time was around 16 minutes as I recall

Weigh 205 again (30 years) - Started weight cut at 280.  Been stuck in the mid to upper 240s for a month now.  Need to rededicate myself. 

Run a 1 minute 400m again - This one is highly suspect.  Ran 53 and change in high school during regionals.  Haven't run one under 2 minutes as an adult I would guess.  lol  Will be 100% dependent on me getting my weight way down and even then I'm not sure I still have the wheels.  I'd honestly be pretty thrilled if I coud get in under 1:15. 

Box in a rough n rowdy event (haven't been in a good scrap in a decade) - I'm pretty sure I could hold my own in this format if I get in decent shape  Three 1 minute rounds..  Not sure the wife is going to allow this one.  But man, win or lose, it sure would be fun to throw hands again.  Especially when you aren't worried the other guy will get a gun and shoot you afterward.  HAHAHA

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

So you're saying I'm screwed on the 400m...  haha

Well considering the top 50+ year olds beat your highschool time yeah, you might want to stay in the shed sir lol. Not saying you shouldn't try though! Be careful trying to dunk a basketball if you have not done any explosive jumping as you might blow out your Achilles 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Well considering the top 50+ year olds beat your highschool time yeah, you might want to stay in the shed sir lol. Not saying you shouldn't try though! Be careful trying to dunk a basketball if you have not done any explosive jumping as you might blow out your Achilles 

If I can just get close to a 1 minute 400, I'll be thrilled.  Maybe switch it to yards.  Haha

I hear ya on dunking and the Achilles.  I will be careful.  I can actually get pretty close now.  I drop another 10 lbs and I'll be able to check that one off the list.  Then I can forget about it again until I turn 60.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If I can just get close to a 1 minute 400, I'll be thrilled.  Maybe switch it to yards.  Haha

I hear ya on dunking and the Achilles.  I will be careful.  I can actually get pretty close now.  I drop another 10 lbs and I'll be able to check that one off the list.  Then I can forget about it again until I turn 60.

I'd have to look up the year but maybe 5 or 6 years ago (maybe I was 65 or so?) I ran a 1:19 400 meters against one of our girls - got beat in the last few meters - darn kids :) .  No training or anything - it was a double dog dare kind of thing one night at practice - damn that was dumb on my part LOL.  At least I didn't puke in front of everyone.  I know 12 years ago when I started coaching Track only one of our sprinters could beat me in a 40.  I had wheels way back in 1965 and 66.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I'd have to look up the year but maybe 5 or 6 years ago (maybe I was 65 or so?) I ran a 1:19 400 meters against one of our girls - got beat in the last few meters - darn kids :) .  No training or anything - it was a double dog dare kind of thing one night at practice - damn that was dumb on my part LOL.  At least I didn't puke in front of everyone.  I know 12 years ago when I started coaching Track only one of our sprinters could beat me in a 40.  I had wheels way back in 1965 and 66.

So your saying... there's a chance.  Lol

22 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

So your saying... there's a chance.  Lol

At your current weight - I'd say no way in he.. - at 200 - 205 maybe.......But that's a big maybe - 60 seconds is still a pretty good 400 meters.  That's four 15 second 100 meters in a row.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

At your current weight - I'd say no way in he.. - at 200 - 205 maybe.......But that's a big maybe - 60 seconds is still a pretty good 400 meters.  That's four 15 second 100 meters in a row.

1:15 is the new goal.  I'll give it a shot once I hit 220. 

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

1:15 is the new goal.  I'll give it a shot once I hit 220. 

Sounds much more realistic - get er done! 

I "vaguely" remember my high school numbers and somewhere I have the original 60 x 60 list.  As I make up a new list every five years it saddens me how I have to adjust downwards each time.  It also doesn't seem fair that I have to do more "feats" as I get older :)

Isn't it funny how once you've done something (even if years and years ago) we still think it's possible to do it again?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, climber511 said:

Sounds much more realistic - get er done! 

I "vaguely" remember my high school numbers and somewhere I have the original 60 x 60 list.  As I make up a new list every five years it saddens me how I have to adjust downwards each time.  It also doesn't seem fair that I have to do more "feats" as I get older :)

Isn't it funny how once you've done something (even if years and years ago) we still think it's possible to do it again?

It's a comedy and a tragedy.  Haha

Edited by Mike Rinderle