Bending log

Fist of Fury

Been thinking a lot over the weekend and decided I will give DO one more chance. However if I ever feel like I did last time again I will definitely quit forever. I will be more careful now and I will not DO bend in any type of thin pads. Thinnest I will ever try will be Horrido leathers, which is on the thicker side. At least I can do double overhand bending without getting problems with my left arm. So I have something to do until I can bend reverse again.

Today:

Double pads
7.5x150 mm spike steel x 1
8x245 mm rebar x 1
8x215 mm kompaxel x 1
8x190 mm kompaxel x 2
8x190 mm kompaxel - 20'ish deg

• Like 3

Done some gripper closes, thumbless lifts, push-ups ans biceps curls.

Today tried some DO bending, did:

8x245 mm rebar x 1 these are extremely easy now, which is good because I couldn't even bend these two months ago.
8x223 mm kompaxel x 1 this is also easy now, might have to try a hex bar soon, probably have to get a little bit stronger tho.
8x195 mm kompaxel x 1
8x185 mm kompaxel to 20'ish deg

Was very tired today, didn't sleep well. Had to quit there, was just too tired today. Will try again in a week.

• Like 2

Wasn't going to bend today but I couldn't resist the urge :D

Warmed up with five bars I had reversed plus one 8x245 mm rebar. Then on to the harder steel:

All bars prekinked from previous workouts.

8x180 mm kompaxel from 22 deg, finished in 45 minutes had to use triple wraps. Horrido leathers + suede leathers + cordura.

8x190 mm kompaxel from 22 deg, finished fast in one go in doubles, only the leathers.

8x185 mm kompaxel from 12 deg, finished in 20 minutes, same triple wraps.

The cordura I have is harder than IMP's. I'm pretty sure it's 500D. Don't know what the IMP's are but these feel a bit worse.

I just ordered some 1000D cordura and hopefully I can use them instead. Really don't like using a lot of padding but I have to find some way of making progress.

Shoulders doesn't feel good. They made popping sounds all through the workout, which is unusual for me. They usually become quiet after a while. I guess I have to add in some more rotator cuff work.

• Like 2

Got some more steel to play today.

Reverse bending
Worked up to 3 grade 4.8 bolts cut to 150 mm (including the head).
1: to 35 ish deg in two attempts, then skipped it, felt hard to continue on it for some reason.
2: Past 50 deg under 30 seconds.
3. Past 40 deg under 30 seconds.

DO Bending
Some warmup including 8x180 mm rebar (HRS)
Horrido 8.8 bolt -nothing
Kompaxel 8x223 mm prekinked to 10 degrees, finished in single horrido pads. Then tried the exact same thing with 195 mm and couldn't move it on first attempt so stopped there.

Wanted to try to see if I could do anything to the 8.8 bolt but nope. Pretty sure it's out of reach for me. I don't see myself getting much stronger than I am right now. Might try to bend it braced instead. Maybe 8 mm hex steel or some hard SS can be a goal instead. Although I doubt I will ever move hex bars of this strength either. But time will tell.

Got a skin tear so I'm going to rest for a while until it heals. Otherwise I will not be able to bend at all after a while.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Got some more steel to play today.

Reverse bending
Worked up to 3 grade 4.8 bolts cut to 150 mm (including the head).
1: to 35 ish deg in two attempts, then skipped it, felt hard to continue on it for some reason.
2: Past 50 deg under 30 seconds.
3. Past 40 deg under 30 seconds.

DO Bending
Some warmup including 8x180 mm rebar (HRS)
Horrido 8.8 bolt -nothing
Kompaxel 8x223 mm prekinked to 10 degrees, finished in single horrido pads. Then tried the exact same thing with 195 mm and couldn't move it on first attempt so stopped there.

Wanted to try to see if I could do anything to the 8.8 bolt but nope. Pretty sure it's out of reach for me. I don't see myself getting much stronger than I am right now. Might try to bend it braced instead. Maybe 8 mm hex steel or some hard SS can be a goal instead. Although I doubt I will ever move hex bars of this strength either. But time will tell.

Got a skin tear so I'm going to rest for a while until it heals. Otherwise I will not be able to bend at all after a while.

First time I hit the 8.8 bolt and it didnt give it felt like it was out of reach for me as well. Then after seeing thom move the 12.9 bolt it gave me more motivation, and with his help and time I gradually started moving it. Now it seems just like a matter of time before I can make a full bend. 

And I don't see why you shouldn't have the capability to bend it as well. You should pick Thoms brain for advice. His technical help has been critical to my progress lately.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

First time I hit the 8.8 bolt and it didnt give it felt like it was out of reach for me as well. Then after seeing thom move the 12.9 bolt it gave me more motivation, and with his help and time I gradually started moving it. Now it seems just like a matter of time before I can make a full bend. 

And I don't see why you shouldn't have the capability to bend it as well. You should pick Thoms brain for advice. His technical help has been critical to my progress lately.

Thanks but I don't need help, nor do I want it.

I just train for fun, I really don't care if I will bend the bolt or not. It's not that important to me.

I have about 10 different things that prevents me from training. I'd be atleast 20% stronger if I wasn't sick as (bad word filter).

Skin tear wasn't as bad as I thought so I bent a few bars DO. Wanted to try the cordura I bought. Felt about the same as IMP's.

Worked up to a 8x160 mm rebar (HRS). Crush was really hard, when I removed the wraps I realized why, bent it way off center, don't know why that happend but it made it a really difficult workout.

Will try to bend all the 4.8 bolts this month, then order some A4 bolts and see if I can do anything with those.

• Like 1

Tried some braced bending. Long time since I trained this, felt hard. Could only bend 8x170 mm. Also tried grade 8.8 bolt, couldn't move it at all, almost blacked out twice lol. Will try some more to see if I can make any progress. Might have to order some easier grade 8.8 bolts to train with.

Maybe a lied when I said I was going to bend all the grade 4.8 bolts this month. Tried today and couldn't bend them. So it will take a bit longer I guess. Could only get a tiny kink. Also bent a 7x175 mm spike in a single cordura. Then tried a S355J2 bar 8x180 mm, just fun. I think I moved it a little bit, something like 0.1-0.3 degrees. Which is more than I moved the grade 8.8 bolt DO... :D 

• Like 1

22-03-06

Vulcan Level 6 - 5x10

Right hand still feels really weak. I think it's from DO bending, I just use my right hand more when doing that.

• Like 1

22-03-07

Reverse bending Suede leather touching:

7x150 mm spike steel x 3 or 5 dont remember
Grade 4.8 bolt cut to 150 mm including the head x 2, first to 25 deg, second to 35 deg
7.5x150 mm spike steel x 1, to 35 deg

I'm going to cut down some horrido leathers from now on and work with those instead. The suedes I have are too trashed to make consistent wrapping with.

22-03-08

DO bending
Single Horrido Leathers
a few of the bars I reversed yesterday, then one 7 mm nail and then one 7.5 mm nail, full length.
Double Horrido Leathers
8x180 mm rebar (HRS) x 1
8x185 mm S355J2 x 1
8x180 mm S355J2 x 1

Then I started to feel some strain in my left trap/neck area, something I have not felt before, so I stopped there. Wanted to bend more but better to not get injured.

• Like 2

22-03-10

Gripper 5 singles with SM

22-03-12

DO bending
8x200 mm rebar single cordura x 1
7 mm nail single cordura x 1
8x177 mm rebar single cordura x 2
8x180 mm S355J2 double leather x 1 didn't finish the crush, was just too tired. Have not been getting much sleep the last 2-3 weeks unfortunately.

• Like 2

22-03-13

WU with some 1HP lifts and DO 7 mm nail

DO Bending 8 mm rebar in single cordura
255 mm x 1
277 mm x 1
272 mm x 1
195 mm x 1
180 mm (HRS) x 1

• Like 2

22-03-14

Tried some reverse bending and wrist developer. Started to cry after four reps at level 6. Not sure whats happening here to be honest.

22-03-15

8x200 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
8x260 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
8x285 mm rebar in single corduras x 1 (PR)
8x300 mm rebar in single corduras x 1 attempt, too long for me

I think I will stop here, I might not have big enough frame to go any longer, maybe I have but I don't think it's worth the risk of tearing something. Might try some harder bars up to 250 mm instead, maybe it can help me, working down to shorter lengths on harder bars.

8x177 mm S355J2 in single leather - Got it to 15 degrees in the first two hits, then rested some and tried two times more but could only move it a few more degrees to around 17-18 degrees. I've been aware that DO bending really destroys gripper strength but when I attempted this bar I could actually feel the real reason why that is. It just trashes the fingers so brutally.

The good and the bad:

There is some progress with DO. It's slow but at least there is some progress.
Cordura I bought is really good, especially with rebars which is easier to wrap because of the shape they have.
Mobility is very good.

Bad thing is reverse bending. DU I have given up, I will not try it anymore, it's not my thing.
Reverse bending is really weak. I think I need my crush strength up to above at least 150 lbs again to even bend something decent. The pain is truly unbearable when I can't crush harder. The harder I squeeze the bar the less it hurts but right now I don't have enough crush strength.
I'm very dehydrated and have a lot of cramps and I don't sleep well at all.

• Like 1

Tried some chest crushes with the #4 as well. It was a few months ago since I last did it. I could feel that my crush has improved a bit. I can now crush this using very bad form and mostly using my hands.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:17 AM, Fist of Fury said:

Tried some chest crushes with the #4 as well. It was a few months ago since I last did it. I could feel that my crush has improved a bit. I can now crush this using very bad form and mostly using my hands.

How do you like those? I recently chest crushed my #193 Standard gripper and was thinking about getting some harder ones to try. 

1 hour ago, stranger said:

How do you like those? I recently chest crushed my #193 Standard gripper and was thinking about getting some harder ones to try. 

I don't like chest crushes at all. I'm very bad at it. I think you should go with the GHP10 at least if you can crush the Horrido A2 at 6". Buy a #4 and a GHP10. If it's too hard, use padding. Which I recommend regardless, because even a #3 gripper will eat up your hands.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't like chest crushes at all. I'm very bad at it. I think you should go with the GHP10 at least if you can crush the Horrido A2 at 6". Buy a #4 and a GHP10. If it's too hard, use padding. Which I recommend regardless, because even a #3 gripper will eat up your hands.

Yea, I was thinking #4, and GHP's 9&10. 

48 minutes ago, stranger said:

Yea, I was thinking #4, and GHP's 9&10. 

Cannon has a rated GHP10 for sale now. Looks good for chest crushing.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Cannon has a rated GHP10 for sale now. Looks good for chest crushing.

The 260lb one? It's been in my cart for 2 weeks! 🤣 A ghp 9 and a Flask too.

• Haha 1

22-03-17

Did some braced bending, a few bars. Really not in to it at the moment.

22-03.18

DO Bending
8x195 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
8x190 mm S355J2 pre-kinked to 15 deg, finished in single leathers + 1/2 corduras
8x180 mm S355J2 the one I didn't crush down last time, finished in single leathers
8x177 mm S355J2 the one I attempted in single last workout, bent it some more to past 20 deg in single leathers + 1/2 corduras.

• Like 2

22-03-19

Some reverse bending. Not doing well at the moment. Feels like reverse bending only goes well for very short periods then a very hard period begins again. I feel most of it is about pain tolerance to be honest. If I don't feel like enduring the pain I can't train it at all.
Not gonna lie, it's a bit frustrating.

22-03-22

DO Bending 8 mm rebar in single corduras
260 mm x 1
265 mm x 1
295 mm x 1 (PR)
305 mm x 1 (PR)
177 mm x 3 in succession, just under 2 minutes
2 x 175 mm & 1 x 183 mm in succession, just under 3 minutes
183 mm x 1

8x177 S355J2 finished from 20 degrees in leathers and 1/2 corduras

Managed to bend the 30 cm bar I couldn't move last time. Seems like mobility is just improving non-stop. That was the only long bars I had left but I will definitely not try to go longer than that. It felt very risky. I had to use a slightly different technique than I do with standard length bars. Feels more like a circus trick to be honest, it does give a great warmup in the chest, shoulders and back tho. But I think 250 mm/10" will be enough from now on.

• Like 2

22-03-25

DO Bending
7x210 mm nail in single corduras x 1
7.5x230 mm nail in single corduras x 1
8x230 mm rebar in single corduras x 1
2 x 7x210 mm nails taped together in double leathers, to 5 degrees
8x160 mm rebar (HRS) started in doubles x 1 (PR) crush took a while

• Like 2

22-03-26

Tried some reverse bending...

7x150 mm spike steel x 1
4.8 bolt cut to 150 mm to 10 deg
4.8 bolt cut to 150 mm to 40 deg
4.8 bolt cut to 150 mm to 10 deg

I don't know what the deal is to be honest. I might quit this. I don't think I have enough water in my hands to continue this. Feels like I'm going to spend 1000€ before I can bend a grade 8 bolt. It might not even be possible at all for me.

I will focus on Do bending instead. I bought some more steel, some stainless steel and some 8.8 bolts.