Geoff Capes Then and Now

Mike Rinderle

World's Strongest Fan posted these two pics a few days apart on the Youtubes.  Big man then.  Bigger now.  Can't imagine how he moves around at 69 yo with that kind of weight.  He's 6'6", so he has to be over 5 bills in the recent pic, if not 6.

0 Screenshot_20190707-150112_YouTube.jpg

0 Screenshot_20190707-150235_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

That's real unfortunate

Yea, he could definitely shed a stone or ten.  He was always so athletic looking in his WSM era.  Apparently he didn't slow down on the vittles when he retired.

Yea like he took his weekly food and ate it daily. That weight packs on quick when you stop burining 10k calories lifting cars and tossing boulders

• Like 1

What a shame. He is actually the ONLY WSM winner:competitor ever who I would believe was not on gear. Just a strong, bear of a dude with just a big body and not much muscle tone at all. 

As well as he did in WSM, he was even better at Highland Games and Shot Put.  He had two disappointing placings at the Olympics, or he would be remembered as one of the greatest ever in the SP.  I think he won the most HG world championships in the heavy events.  Dominated that sport in the early 80s.  Just a great athlete.  His battles with JPS were legendary. 

I'm a huge fan of birds, especially budgies, and Mr. Geoff is one of the top breeders of budgies in the world :D  It seems to me that he kept the same diet, but doesn't train at all, that's very sad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What a shame. He is actually the ONLY WSM winner:competitor ever who I would believe was not on gear. Just a strong, bear of a dude with just a big body and not much muscle tone at all. 

Who knows?  Would have been tough to be competitive against Kas and JPS totally clean, but he may have been.  He was tested for the shot put until he quit and became a pro strongman.  Although testing in the 70s was pretty weak as evidenced by the East German ladies squad.  Lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Who knows?  Would have been tough to be competitive against Kas and JPS totally clean, but he may have been.  He was tested for the shot put until he quit and became a pro strongman.  Although testing in the 70s was pretty weak as evidenced by the East German ladies squad.  Lol

He just looked to me as natural. The levels of lifting back then in the WSM events were definitely achievable as a natural guy a, huge man, like Capes was. If he was on drugs of any kind, his lack of muscle was very low as compared to his counterparts like Kaz, JPS and Lars Hedlund with their massive visible muscle . At 6’5 320-340 at the time, I can definitely believe  he wasn’t  on at all, and if he was , that it was very little... and I am the first one to say BS for one of these guys to be clean. 

It's only due to his strength background that he can even walk like that at almost 70. 

A normal guy who never trained with weights would be immobile at that size.

With that said, I wouldn't guess he has more than five years if he stays on the path hes on. 

I loved watching him, kaz and jps battle in that strongman series by a big castle.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, king crusher said:

It's only due to his strength background that he can even walk like that at almost 70. 

A normal guy who never trained with weights would be immobile at that size.

With that said, I wouldn't guess he has more than five years if he stays on the path hes on. 

I loved watching him, kaz and jps battle in that strongman series by a big castle.

70's until about 85 was the golden era of strongman in my book.  Every contest seems the same now.

10 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

70's until about 85 was the golden era of strongman in my book.  Every contest seems the same now.

People want to see higher and higher numbers and the only way to do that is to specialize and make the events predictable. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

People want to see higher and higher numbers and the only way to do that is to specialize and make the events predictable. 

Don't get me wrong.  I still like it and follow it, but it's almost a different sport than it was back in the day.  I just loved the crazy shizz they used to have these guys do.  A lot of the standardization is for safery too.  Could you imagine if Thor's career was ended like Franco's in the refrigerator race?

I still remember fun events like Wilhelm and Patera going at it in the tire throw.  And who can forget them lifting a platform with a bunch of hot girls on it.  Lol

The current weights being used will result in some catastrophic injuries I think.  Even for men as big and strong as the current crop is the lifts are really getting up there 

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Don't get me wrong.  I still like it and follow it, but it's almost a different sport than it was back in the day.  I just loved the crazy shizz they used to have these guys do.  A lot of the standardization is for safery too.  Could you imagine if Thor's career was ended like Franco's in the refrigerator race?

I still remember fun events like Wilhelm and Patera going at it in the tire throw.  And who can forget them lifting a platform with a bunch of hot girls on it.  Lol

Way better back then with the variety of events. Now, it’s just glorified powerlifting.

Did something happen that caused this weight gain like an injury or did he just let his eating get out of hand 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Did something happen that caused this weight gain like an injury or did he just let his eating get out of hand 

I still can’t believe it. He was always on the over weight side, but WOW!!!

Ya. I posted a current picture like this in response to Adam bushaway posting a prime video of him. Adam is a Brit and he got pissed lol and insulted my weight. Haha. Oh well. He’s like a god to them like Eddie hall 

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I believe I read somewhere that he has diabetes, but I'm pretty sure that was a result, not a cause.

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I believe I read somewhere that he has diabetes, but I'm pretty sure that was a result, not a cause.

Yes, Geoff has some health issues, that's why he is overweight now. Nevertheless, he cares about child athletics especially shot put and discuss. Much respect to Geoff.