190 lb Thumbless 1 Hand Axle

Mike Rinderle

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'm actually curious if straight thumbs would help on pinch events like the euro

I think it would as you could get more surface area.  But I have seen only a few people who can do it - most of us are somewhat to quite a bit onto the side of our bent  thumbs on the Euro.

6 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I think it would as you could get more surface area.  But I have seen only a few people who can do it - most of us are somewhat to quite a bit onto the side of our bent  thumbs on the Euro.

makes sense since Jedd has huge thumbs even in proportion to his hands so hes getting more surface contact. I'm curious if the top Euro Guys have straighter thumbs. I think i'm genetically inclined for grippers. @Jedd Johnson and @kodyburns, do your thumbs bend far back, only a little or not at all?

Edited by Chez

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

makes sense since Jedd has huge thumbs even in proportion to his hands so hes getting more surface contact. I'm curious if the top Euro Guys have straighter thumbs. I think i'm genetically inclined for grippers. @Jedd Johnson and @kodyburns, do your thumbs bend far back, only a little or not at all?

Can't speak for Kody, but Jedd pinches with a bent thumb like Chris, so not sure it matters.

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Can't speak for Kody, but Jedd pinches with a bent thumb like Chris, so not sure it matters.

You're right. I have his DVD and I remember that. 

I think my thumb issue on the axle is actually probably related to the fact that I have been hammering my thumbs with various pinch devices, plates, block weights and my homemade TTK almost every day for the last couple months.  Thumbs are sore and fried with skin coming off almost every session.  My pinch numbers shot up, but even those have dropped the last couple days.  But my forearms are pretty fresh.

Time to deload and maybe work on the dreaded grippers for a week or two and come back fresh.

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think my thumb issue on the axle is actually probably related to the fact that I have been hammering my thumbs with various pinch devices, plates, block weights and my homemade TTK almost every day for the last couple months.  Thumbs are sore and fried with skin coming off almost every session.  My pinch numbers shot up, but even those have dropped the last couple days.  But my forearms are pretty fresh.

Time to deload and maybe work on the dreaded grippers for a week or two and come back fresh.

You know better than to do that to yourself - a little complete recovery might be a very good idea :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, climber511 said:

You know better than to do that to yourself - a little complete recovery might be a very good idea :)

I do not know this complete recovery that you speak of.  A whole day off?  :rolleyes:laugh

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

And yet I can't get 200 using my thumb.

1 hand thumbless axle

You are like me (we are both beautiful, lol) in that regard.  My best one hand thumbless grip deadlift was 275lbs and that was about the time I pulled 315lbs on the one hand (no hook) deadlift.  This differential was cut way down on the Axle, like yours - less than a 10lb difference for me. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think it has got something to do with these goofy backwards thumbs of mine.  Haha

20180327_112916.jpg

Yeah, mine is the same.  We are thumb twins.  I have wondered if that is one of the reasons my pinch was crappy.  It's like having half a thumb sometimes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bencrush said:

You are like me (we are both beautiful, lol) in that regard.  My best one hand thumbless grip deadlift was 275lbs and that was about the time I pulled 315lbs on the one hand (no hook) deadlift.  This differential was cut way down on the Axle, like yours - less than a 10lb difference for me. 

Well then, I am in great company!  Thanks for checking it out Ben!

• Like 1

Strong lift!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Wow I didn't know this thumb thingy might be a disadvantage. But so what. Train hard and you will be strong. I don't believe I have weak thumbs. I don't even have big hands. Laine Snook and Jedd can attest to that. And I don't want to answer on anyone behalf but here a month and a half back when Laine and Jedd were here we did hand comparison. Jedd thumbs doesn't bend backwards (maybe tiny bit only). Has long thumbs. And the first joint of the thumb (not the one we are speaking off here) can come down too much like you can almost draw 90 degree angle using his index and thumb if it is on a table. Heck maybe more if he pulled on his thumbs. Finally, he trains a lot and has extremely strong thumbs from training (for the new comers who will think genetic helped 90 percent when in reality 10 percents genetics and rest is training or something to that percentage).

Jedd has earned every pound he has ever lifted for sure.  Nobody trains harder.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Strong lift!

Thanks buddy.  I was pleased.  :)

• Like 1

No one said they don't train hard. I do as well. But everyone has certain genetic traits that help in certain things. I was just curious because I honestly didn't even know some people's thumbs are straight.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

No one said they don't train hard. I do as well. But everyone has certain genetic traits that help in certain things. I was just curious because I honestly didn't even know some people's thumbs are straight.  

Agreed.  Genetics always plays a role in any sport.  You can't coach height as they say.  On the flip side, we all have certain genetic traits that we have to overcome.  For me, the biggest is this face that scares small children.  :blush

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Agreed.  Genetics always plays a role in any sport.  You can't coach height as they say.

ya, People can train as hard as they want but very few men will ever achieve elite feats like a 700 lb bench, 1,000 lb deadlift, or close a #4 unless they have genetics on their side. Those guys have to train hard as well. As I always say, truly elite feats are achieved when good genetics meets hard work. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Agreed.  Genetics always plays a role in any sport.  You can't coach height as they say.  On the flip side, we all have certain genetic traits that we have to overcome.  For me, the biggest is this face that scares small children.  :blush

We all need to capitalize on the gifts God have us and run with it. Use every genetic advantage to our gain.

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wasn't talking about you or anyone else here. I said for the new comers. The n00bs who will point fingers, cry, whine and say oh he has good genetics thats why. It reminded me of 2006 topic Magnus VS Brzenk and was mostly said Magnus will win because in his genetics he has bigger hands, taller, denser bone (wtf yeah), and lifts more. That was funny to read and those people (ehm he was banned few times and I see him now) never accomplished anything in their life. Not even a legit #3 close.

• Like 1

Dang Mike ! That a great one hand Deadlift. Two thumbs up !:laugh

• Haha 1

Its hard for me to remember what I could fat bar - pinch - crush etc when I first started grip sport - whatever genetic advantages I had I think were probably covered up by all the strength training I had done and the hard physical labor using my hands prior to trying the sport (I was 55 when I started grip).  I seem to have an affinity for pinch but I put a lot of work and study into it also.  But my thumbs lie nearly on their sides on the Euro and do not touch their full length at all - I think I could do better if they did (so I will call that a genetic disadvantage).  I was never what i would call overall body strong at all but seemed to have had stronger than average (but not elite)  hands my whole life.  I do wish I had started back in my late 30s to early 40s when I was quite a bit stronger overall and had a lot fewer injuries.

We have what we have - we just need to suck it up and train smarter.  I think for most on here - learning to rest and recover would result in a lot more strength.  Beating the crap out of ourselves constantly is pretty dumb.  Says the guy who still trains 7 days a week :)

• Like 2

This thread has twice as many posts as my video has views. :laugh.  I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, Chez said:

Are you talking about hitch-hiker thumb, where the distal phalanx bends way back and almost goes to a T-shape?