Stephen Ruby training log

Stephen Ruby

Have not been getting the best sleep recently which I think impacted my Saturday workout. I took friday off but it was a nice day near me and it's been raining a lot so went to my favourite dog park with the family(if your ever in the bay area I highly recommend checking out Point Isabel Regional Shoreline) so ended up getting 15k steps which is over double what I normally do in a day. Saturday also got 10k so more than normal. Instead of doing hard cardio which impacts my lifting I have just been tracking steps and shoot for at least 6k a day.

Rolling thunder (all loaded weights)   *recently cleaned my handle well and its spinny the best its ever have so feels much harder than the past*

90 lbs x 20 both hands 

160 lbs x 10 right hand (good clean reps)

160 lbs x 10  (ugly reps on several I was surprisingly already feeling gassed)

140lbs x 10 left hand ( tough so went down in weight)

130lbs x 10 left hand (good explosive reps) 

140lbs left hand hold for. failure x 2 and 160lbs right hand hold for failure x 2 

I like to start my first few machine sets with manus grips and then load up more weight and do one last set to failure with straps to hit the back well. 

Lat pulldowns 220 3x10 

I loaded my rolling thunder handle for some seated single arm rows  80 lbs 3x12 (slow. controlled) 

Thickbar in general really destroys my grip so I might take saturday off for grip (or just focus on wrist/forearms) with my leg day. In general doing grip with legs has been tough for me as legs fatigues me mentally more than anything.  I plan to hit grippers Monday with my pushday regardless. 

• Like 3

Nice.. Walking is the best form of exercise. Might not make you strong or fast but I always feel better on days i walk a lot. Now the nice weather is here and i'll go back to walks at night. You are right though about cardio, i'm doing less on my rower now and I feel like i have more energy when i lift.

Thats some crazy volume w/ the RT.. My hands would be fried for a couple days if i did that.

• Like 1

I agree walking is so therapeutic for the mind also and I actually feel I recover better when I am doing more walking. 

Yeah I have adapted the training methods of laine snook on the rolling thunder where he advocated for higher volume on the ironmind forums. 

"Take your Max lift in the Rolling Thunder, lets say that it is an even 200lbs for easy math sake. You take 65% to 75% of that Max, 130 or 150lbs (depending on what percentage you choose) and you train 3x a week, that is three workouts per week, of high repetition sets to really work the muscles as Mr. Snook put it.

Laine suggested I go about 3x10 with each hand,"

https://www.ironmind-forum.com/forum/training/grip/1898-rolling-thunder-sets-reps

I felt laine had the best rolling thunder for a long time.(if not ever in terms of consistency) I generally don't think it's always wise to just do what people who have success did because genetics makes such a massive difference where often time top athletes don't train optimally just make up for it with great genetics. For example we have had lots of amazing crush grippers who said they just do grippers everyday for ridiculous volumes and I don't think that would work well for many people. Yet I find the rolling thunder to be heavy technique dependent(so higher reps helps me ingrain the movement) and also the higher volume hits my whole body well and helps with my pulling technique in general in particular activating my glutes in the pull. I do feel pretty trashed after thickbar but I am careful to monitor pain vs muscle soreness. In general right now I am liking the higher volume which is helping with my main goal of weight loss and some hypertrophy gains. Near the end of the year once I get to a reasonable bodyfat % of near 15 I'll train differently with lower sets higher weight and look to pick a contest to enter.

I want to eventually get a handle that spins even better and I believe The "Raptor" handle, by Country Crush has the best spin of any handle. I think there is value of working with the rolling thunder anyways as the heavier weight does hit my whole body better but I could be beneficial to do a lighter weight with a tougher handle also. I think in general rolling handles are a fantastic grip tool though and will really hit your grip/forearms well. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

No grip sunday with my leg day but hands were still pretty sore today but did some gripper work with my push day after some heavy benching. 

Right hand 

Ghp 6 x 5 quick mms 

Ghp 7 x 5 mms 

Coc 3.5 176 rgc x 1 (barley missed by about 1-2 mm)

Coc 3.5 176 rgc x 1 (assisted closed holding my wrist with my offhand)

Ghp 7 3 x failure ( first set about 10 second set 6 last set 3 ) I did these with a  short rest period and I did them between a mini close and mms so just barley opening it up and closing it again focusing on the end range. 

Left hand 

Ghp 6 x 5 mms 

Ghp 7 x 1 (felt it close but deep set) 

Ghp 7 x 1 (assisted close holding my wrist with my offhand)

Ghp 6 3 x failure ( first set around 6 second around 4 last set about 3 and assisted holding wrist on some) 

My max gripper close with a block set in contest was a 175 rgc rated coc 3.5 with a 20mm block set so I'm hoping to get back to that strength and push for a 190+ close next year with a block set in contest along with a 3.5 cert. I need some lighter grippers for my left hand so hoping to get a ghp 5 and something in the 165-170 range rgc rated for my right hand. I have a 183 rgc rated gripper and want something in the low 190 range also.

Poncy pinch 3 x 10 each hand dynamic closes 

Sider winder as many turns as I could get in a minute.  I use the sidewinder revolution and I like this tool to really get a good pump. I don't know how much it helps with strength but you can do it in a lot of ranges/movements and I do feel it helps with endurance and building some mental strength to push through some discomfort. 

Plan to do some pinch with my pull day. Might go for two handed flask work as I have been doing a lot of 1 handed pinch mainly. 

• Like 4

Glad to see others using the Sidewinder... I have the T6 I think it is and the Sidetwister..Like you said, not sure how it helps with strength but they are useful. So many different movements. 

Took two days off grip but still lifted and hit grippers again today

Right hand 

Ghp 6 x 5 mms (felt easy decided to jump right to the 3.5 again)

Coc 3.5 rgc 176 x 1 (missed again probably worse then last time)

Ghp 7 3 x failure (8, 6, 4) 

Left hand 

Ghp 6 x 6 (best set left hand in a while) 

Ghp 7 x 1 missed but only a little off 

Ghp  6 3 x failure (5, 3, 2) 

Also did some plate pinches between sets with two 35's 5x5 each hand. These were bumper plates so felt easier then slick plates but they were quite wide. 

Yeah the sidewinder is a great tool. I used to have a wicked wrist roller from ironmind that was nice also that you could load into the squat rack with some heavy weight and that was also really tough. I like the sidewinder better because its easier to carry around and to adjust the difficulty and do different movements. 

I have not been getting the best sleep but I have been eating well and training hard. It's a tough time of the year as a teacher with the long march to spring break so trying to push through.  

• Like 5

Nice work 

we’re do you teach at

I'm a math teacher at Piedmont High School.  Teaching is definitely a different game post pandemic then pre. Its rewarding work and I definitely have had some great kids but march is a tough month as everyone is ready for a break it gets easier after spring break and I hope to make some good gains over summer. Hoping to maybe get a training session with you once the weather is nicer as I'm sure your ready for this rain to end also. 

• Like 5

For sure 

most of all my grip stuff in in Fremont at my shop. 

• Like 1

Some thickbar today with my pull day 

Rolling thunder all loaded weight 

Right hand 

90 lbs x 20

160 3 x 10 (last two sets some barley broke the ground)  

Left Hand 

90lbs x 20

140 3 x 10 (all pretty good) 

Manus grip lat pulldowns 230 3 x 10 (some bodyweight cheating) 

Manus grip Hammer curls 40 3 x 10

Strict wrist curls on preacher curl bench 25 lbs 3 x 10 each hand 

Sidewinder 3 x failure 

Even though I have fairly big hands since my fingers are really short in comparison my hands still don't wrap around the handle very much.

Definitely feeling tired all around. I think I might need to up my calories a little as the dieting is zapping my energy. Feeling a little better catching up on sleep this weekend though. I am starting to notice some positive changes in my body composition though almost two months back at it. Got to remind myself this is a long marathon but I"m glad to still be making strength gains while dieting. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 7.32.22 PM.png

• Like 1

Some two hand pinch today with my leg day

Got to the gym hour in a half later than I normally do and was just beat up in general did 85% of what I front squatted last sunday so I'm thinking I'm ready for a deload soon or just need more sleep. 

Two hand pinch on the flask all loaded weights

180lbs 6x6 (some of the early sets were really good but near the end was just barley breaking off the floor)

I also tore my thumb pad a little on my last set on my left hand. I feel this always happens for two hand pinch in particular. I remember there being some training thing david horne used to protect the webbing for higher volume work. If anyone remembers the name let me know. I think I just needed to slow it down a little. 

It's really pretty minor and I can train with it but I would like to avoid skin tears in general. 

The flask is a great tool it's just a little annoying to load with the pins. 

Pony pinch 5x 10 each hand 

I have this tips tester I plan to do some finger work tomorrow and some wrist work. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.55.34 PM.png

• Like 4

Here you go. Its crazy when your not feeling 100% and just cant move the weights you normally do. Happened to me on Saturday. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Got to the gym hour in a half later than I normally do and was just beat up in general did 85% of what I front squatted last sunday so I'm thinking I'm ready for a deload soon or just need more sleep. 

180lbs 6x6 (some of the early sets were really good but near the end was just barley breaking off the floor)

I also tore my thumb pad a little on my last set on my left hand. I feel this always happens for two hand pinch in particular. I remember there being some training thing david horne used to protect the webbing for higher volume work. If anyone remembers the name let me know. I think I just needed to slow it down a little. 

It's really pretty minor and I can train with it but I would like to avoid skin tears in general. 

I have this tips tester I plan to do some finger work tomorrow and some wrist work. 

Please be careful with the tips tester so many people have gotten injured using it it's not worth using for non climbers tbh.

People have even gotten injured using light weight.

Finger pulley injuries are no joke.

Do finger curls if you want that fingertip/finger strength.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Please be careful with the tips tester so many people have gotten injured using it it's not worth using for non climbers tbh.

I agree, I am not a fan of any exercise that isolates the flexor digitorum profundus, the muscle that operates the most distal phalanges. I got sent a free pair of golden potatoes and only used them once because that's what they train. The way that I see it is that only loading the fingertips deprives the rest of the finger surface area of the counterforce of some object which would help prevent flexor tendon bowstringing via pulleys & the pulleys are subject to higher force without a larger object being held. I'm sure pulley injuries can still happen with thick bar but I think FDP isolations would greatly increase the chances for it (this is not something I have researched, just speculating).

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 2:44 AM, Stephen Ruby said:

No grip sunday with my leg day but hands were still pretty sore today but did some gripper work with my push day after some heavy benching. 

Right hand 

Ghp 6 x 5 quick mms 

Ghp 7 x 5 mms 

Coc 3.5 176 rgc x 1 (barley missed by about 1-2 mm)

Coc 3.5 176 rgc x 1 (assisted closed holding my wrist with my offhand)

Ghp 7 3 x failure ( first set about 10 second set 6 last set 3 ) I did these with a  short rest period and I did them between a mini close and mms so just barley opening it up and closing it again focusing on the end range. 

Left hand 

Ghp 6 x 5 mms 

Ghp 7 x 1 (felt it close but deep set) 

Ghp 7 x 1 (assisted close holding my wrist with my offhand)

Ghp 6 3 x failure ( first set around 6 second around 4 last set about 3 and assisted holding wrist on some) 

My max gripper close with a block set in contest was a 175 rgc rated coc 3.5 with a 20mm block set so I'm hoping to get back to that strength and push for a 190+ close next year with a block set in contest along with a 3.5 cert. I need some lighter grippers for my left hand so hoping to get a ghp 5 and something in the 165-170 range rgc rated for my right hand. I have a 183 rgc rated gripper and want something in the low 190 range also.

Poncy pinch 3 x 10 each hand dynamic closes 

Sider winder as many turns as I could get in a minute.  I use the sidewinder revolution and I like this tool to really get a good pump. I don't know how much it helps with strength but you can do it in a lot of ranges/movements and I do feel it helps with endurance and building some mental strength to push through some discomfort. 

Plan to do some pinch with my pull day. Might go for two handed flask work as I have been doing a lot of 1 handed pinch mainly. 

CPW has a 192 rated Tungsten that I saw within the past couple days.

7 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Nice work strong lifts on the flask and for some serious volume. I think I tear my thumb every week on the flask. What is your max on the flask?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Here you go. Its crazy when your not feeling 100% and just cant move the weights you normally do. Happened to me on Saturday. 

Oh nice thanks for sharing the video I will try that next time I do the lift. Yeah i have to realize that is part of the process and not take it to seriously. CNS plays such a massive role in lifting and when it's not firing for whatever reason everything feels heavier. 

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Oh interesting I remember buying it because I saw it used in a lot of contests. I feel if its a higher injury prone lift they should probably not have it tested in contests. I feel similar with some vertical bar lifts that many have hurt their biceps doing heavy lifts on that which is why I avoided it.

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

I agree, I am not a fan of any exercise that isolates the flexor digitorum profundus, the muscle that operates the most distal phalanges. I got sent a free pair of golden potatoes and only used them once because that's what they train. The way that I see it is that only loading the fingertips deprives the rest of the finger surface area of the counterforce of some object which would help prevent flexor tendon bowstringing via pulleys & the pulleys are subject to higher force without a larger object being held. I'm sure pulley injuries can still happen with thick bar but I think FDP isolations would greatly increase the chances for it (this is not something I have researched, just speculating).

Nice post this was really informative. I will avoid the tips tester. I guess I'lll try to sell it for a climber who might get more use out of it. 

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

CPW has a 192 rated Tungsten that I saw within the past couple days.

Oh dang I just did an order I think I missed it. I just got a coc 2(as it looks like ghp 5's are all sold out) and a beginners bending bag that should be coming today so I'll likely just do some bending today. 

32 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice work strong lifts on the flask and for some serious volume. I think I tear my thumb every week on the flask. What is your max on the flask?

Thanks I felt my flask felt really good yesterday. It's a weird lift in that just adding 10-20 lbs can go from a few reps to not even moving it off the ground. I also know they vary a lot just based on weather conditions where it will feel less slick some days. I did 194 or so in contest on the euro that felt light but then missed like around 210 several times. I would guess my max is low 200's right now. My goal is to get in the rep range with 225 loaded weight. 

• Like 5

My beginners bend bag came today from CPW so tried some bending after a heavy push session today

All done with a single purple wrap reverse style to 90 or further then crushed. I'm only bending with single wraps to strengthen my hands and again goal by next year is a red nail with a single ironmind wrap reverse style which I believe noone has done that way under certification standards. 

I did 3 quick reverse style bends of what I believe are the timber ties 6 inches (super easy)

Then did one of the 60d nails (tough but got it under a minute). Probably the toughest 60d nails I have bent or could just be I have not bent anything in like a decade and I'm weak. 

Then I snapped 3 of the timber ties reverse style similar to how david horne would do it. Just cranking it back and forth, tried to go as fast as I could probably took less than 5 minutes for all. 

The 5 inch bars are going to be tough reverse style.  Going to try to work up to at least 1 60d a day until they are gone to toughen up the hands and get my technique down again. 

Sidewinder 3 x 50(slow controlled focusing on pump) 

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 11.18.34 PM.png

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 6

Very strong. I still can't get those bright 60ds.., I can kink them thats it. i'm close.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

nice work

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Very strong. I still can't get those bright 60ds.., I can kink them thats it. i'm close.

If you can get a kink on it I'm certain you can finish it. I look forward to you bending it soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Then did one of the 60d nails (tough but got it under a minute). Probably the toughest 60d nails I have bent or could just be I have not bent anything in like a decade and I'm weak. 

If I remember correctly, those can rate in the low 300's, so definitely tough for a 60d nail

19 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

goal by next year is a red nail with a single ironmind wrap reverse style which I believe noone has done that way under certification standards

Reversing a red in one IM pad is definitely a huge feat. I think Batraz Tibilov has done it, but not for cert so he didn't crush it. 

Great bends btw, I'm sure your progress will be super fast!

Edited by matek

6 minutes ago, matek said:

If I remember correctly, those can rate in the low 300's, so definitely tough for a 60d nail

Reversing a red in one IM pad is definitely a huge feat. If I remember correctly, Batraz Tibilov has done it, but not for cert so he didn't crush it. 

Great bends btw!

At my peak bending strength around 2013 I did a red nail in one wrap but it was a suede wrap similar to the purple ones I'm using now but not under a minute. 

I know that Ivan Beritashvili  did reverse it in cert standards but with two wraps. He was a beast back when I first got into grip all around strong. I have heard some of the red nails can be 500+ and thats a tough bend reverse style so I got a long way to go but I think although its a high end goal its doable. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

At my peak bending strength around 2013 I did a red nail in one wrap but it was a suede wrap similar to the purple ones I'm using now but not under a minute. I think this was a fairly easier red nail though my guess is low 400's

I know that Ivan Beritashvili  did reverse it in cert standards but with two wraps. He was a beast back when I first got into grip all around strong. I have heard some of the red nails can be 500+ and thats a tough bend reverse style so I got a long way to go but I think although its a high end goal its doable. 

Huge bend! I don't really like IMPs anyway and I think one suede is equally impressive.

Yes, Ivan reversed red nails in IMPs a few times, he is crazy strong. Also, he is the only one who DUd the FBBC sexabastard (when FBBC certs were still a thing).
This is the bend I was referring to in my previous comment:

• Like 3