New Training Routine

Paul Markowski

Need some input on my new training routine from you guys!

Became stagnant in my old routine so I am now doing this:

My 2017 goal for my dominant hand is to close the COC #3 for a single MM "set" rep to become an MM0 grip master!  My goal for my inferior hand is to close the COC #2.5 for a single rep using MM set.

Having said that, my new routine is this:

Warmups (as many reps as necessary to get ready for the Work Sets).

8 straight sets of this : Dominant hand: COC #3 gripper for single attempts using an MM set

Inferior hand: COC #2.5 gripper for single attempts using an MM set

Key is to be able to properly "set" the gripper and to then squeeze as much as possible.

I hope to be able to both Physically and Psychologically start to dominate these grippers to an extent that LOWER grippers become "easy" to close.

What was your old routine?  Also, that's not a routine to me -- that's a strength test workout repeated over and over again.  And, how far (accurately) are you from closing each gripper?

Nate does something similar with his gripper training. He attempts a gripper above his max and then nudges it closed with his off hand.

I never liked this though, I prefer full closes but I do use negatives with a 10 second hold after my regular gripper. I feel this lets me get the best of both worlds. It also makes negatives safer since I'm prefigured so I have to use less on the negatives and the holds also make me use even less. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

What was your old routine?  Also, that's not a routine to me -- that's a strength test workout repeated over and over again.  And, how far (accurately) are you from closing each gripper?

After warm-ups, I did between 3-5 sets of between 1-3 reps with progressively tougher grippers UNTIL I hit my max and failed....then, I would do drop sets for another 3-5 sets of 1-3 reps per set.  I am not very close to closing the #3 at all....just parallel "set" it and squeeze for as much as I can....I may close it a little bit but not a huge distance....the #2.5 with my left hand is much better as I can get it to within 1/2" of closing it.

I just figured I would do something different for a little time and then go back to old workout to see if I have made any true gains.

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Nate does something similar with his gripper training. He attempts a gripper above his max and then nudges it closed with his off hand.

I never liked this though, I prefer full closes but I do use negatives with a 10 second hold after my regular gripper. I feel this lets me get the best of both worlds. It also makes negatives safer since I'm prefigured so I have to use less on the negatives and the holds also make me use even less. 

Yes....I agree overall.  I just want to shake things up a bit for a few weeks and then go back to regular workout style.

You need to build up your base strength as switching to this IMO will get you nowhere.  Strap holds, overcrushes, and some negatives as well  Some filed down overcrush work as well.  Extension work too.  Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

Do you have any IM Tug 2 Finger Utility grippers? They've helped me a lot. Especially negatives.