Rolling Thunder

Guest shovelboy

Guest shovelboy

There must be a standard for diameter for competition 2"?

If it is two inches, can you get them bigger than that to overload train?

Rolling Thunder handle is 2 3/8" in diameter.

If you want to train with something thicker you could easily make something out of PVC or metal pipe.

Elias

Guest shovelboy

2 3/8. Right on. Do you know of any places that either sell RTs or blueprints, because I want one of competition quality.

Ironmind. ironmind.com or 530-265-6725. There about 30 bucks.

Guest shovelboy

I'm not saying I can do anywhere near it, but the max spec for the pins that hold the Ironmind RT is 200lbs. I would have felt much more comfortable if the max was even 50lbs more, preferably 100 lbs. more

There's gotta be a place that sells harder-core pins.

Edited by shovelboy

Your looking at the little pin. The olympic version is rated at 6,600. I think thats hardcore enough.

Guest shovelboy

I only have plates with small holes so the olympic is out, I don't have $200 canadian for the PDA either, so since I exceed the capacity of everything else, I'll just shut up and get the 200lbs capacity pin. It should hold 250 eh?

Guest shovelboy

I shouldn't have looked at the thunderball. a smooth 3" was 176 american!!!

Yes, the pin will be from PDA and the RT will be from Ironmind.

Thanks for that, I almost bought a really expensive Thunderball!!

It does look nice though...

Well, I guess I could have helped ya find the loading pin on the

PDA site. :blush Grip tools link- page 2- 15 and 16 has the loading

pins for anyone else that may be looking

You could find a local welder or maybe you can weld yourself. Loading pins are very easy to make I've welded a few myself. All I had to do was get some pipe cut it to length and weld a base a the bottom and and some type of a eye or hook at the top.

Guest shovelboy

I wonder why PDA doesn't make a regular steel Tball, They'd be more competitive with the RT. Was that right? $176?

And did you ever notice when PDA says not to buy a piece of crap VBL (vertical bar lift) mechanism, they quote exactly what Ironmind is charging for the RT? Hmmmmm.....subliminal bashing maybe?

Ask Ironmind for their little loop to fit the regular pin, then you can use the heavy carabiner, it doesnt fit otherwise. Ironmind sent me one for free! It is not in the catalouge.

Posted on Jul 7 2003, 01:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder why PDA doesn't make a regular steel Tball, They'd be more competitive with the RT. Was that right? $176?

PDA prefers to use stainless due to its low corrosion and non rusting

properties. The 3inch TB is $156, $15 more if you want it polished.

The Tball is engineered way beyond what the rolling thunder is in material and function capabilities

I do believe there is a Gboard member that has a Tball. Maybe if

he catches this thread he can add to it. ( Eh Bill?) ;)

Guest shovelboy

Patrik_B: Alright then the best thing I can do is request the loop included with the pin if I decide to buy from IM.

zcor: Its definitely worth thinking about since I have at least another pay before I feel comfortable enough buying anything.

If you really want to COMPARE your lifts with others?? the Iron Mind Rolling Thunder is the way to go.

Not enough people have the other unit yet?For training i suppose that 3 inch PDA would be sweet!!

The IM's wear out a little and get easier ...but then the Rolling Thunder doesn't cost as much as a pair of tennis shoes...and shoes wear out too. :rolleyes

Guest shovelboy

True. Shoes wear out too. I'll probably buy the RT with the pin from PDA when my address change goes through. My bud jay welds though and he said all I had to do for him to build me a bench stronger than Forza was bring him the metal and the plans and he would make it happen. What the hell is another pin with that eh?

Excuse Me? $24.85 US equals to $200 Canadian!!! Whoa!

i hope your joking

I was surprised reading this thread about the strength of the clip that comes with the standard loading pin. I just checked the IM website to make sure you guys were right (that's what it says). I've had around 385 on mine (all the standard plates that I had at the time) with no problems.

Guest shovelboy

that's good enough for me. Say, you wouldn't happen to be doing that 385 eh? :yikes

Edited by shovelboy

I have 3 loading pins all made from 1 1/8" cold rolled steel bar,all i did was get large hexagonal nuts welded on each one and then bought large caribina hooks from a moutaineering shop,these caribinas have held 660lbs when doing calf raises,so the weight aint no problem.

My Rolling thunder is a 2.5"roller stainless steel off,of a rolling machine in a bottleing plant,i just got a handle welded onto it and painted it black,and cause it has sealed roller bearings on the inside it is alot smoother than the IRONMIND one ,but will not clog up.

But if you want to compare your Rolling thunder to others peoples you will need the IRONMIND one,which like all there products is excellent value for money.

I have 3 loading pins all made from 1 1/8" cold rolled steel bar,all i did was get large hexagonal nuts welded on each one and then bought large caribina hooks from a moutaineering shop,these caribinas have held 660lbs when doing calf raises,so the weight aint no problem.

My Rolling thunder is a 2.5"roller stainless steel off,of a rolling machine in a bottleing plant,i just got a handle welded onto it and painted it black,and cause it has sealed roller bearings on the inside it is alot smoother than the IRONMIND one ,but will not clog up.

But if you want to compare your Rolling thunder to others peoples you will need the IRONMIND one,which like all there products is excellent value for money.

how much would you need to get on the rolling thunder to lift the inch?

I don't know from personal experience :blush , but I've heard about 230