Weight Classes in Grip Sport

anwnate

Another thing I want to mention is that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.  In Example 2, Gripster B may have a David and Goliath scenario in either class, but anything can happen.   

I won (overall, not just weight class) a local leg of World's Strongest Hands one year.  I was competing against ADAM GLASS (93kg at the time)  and CHRIS MATHISON (120+ at the time).  Adam botched his 2hp opener and recorded no score for that lift.  That opened the door for a 2nd place finish I figured.  Head-to-head with Chris Mathison, we both scored great lifts in each event, but I simply beat him in the GripTopz lifts.  I think it was Coin and Stub and those lifts suited me and are really NOT bodyweight dependent lifts.  I beat him by more in the GripTopz lifts then he beat me in the Vulcan and 2HP lifts.  Overall, I got more points by a very small margin and won the contest.  I'm telling yuh.... glory days right there.  

• Like 3

Just now, Cannon said:

Another thing I want to mention is that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.  In Example 2, Gripster B may have a David and Goliath scenario in either class, but anything can happen.   

I won (overall, not just weight class) a local leg of World's Strongest Hands one year.  I was competing against ADAM GLASS (93kg at the time)  and CHRIS MATHISON (120+ at the time).  Adam botched his 2hp opener and recorded no score for that lift.  That opened the door for a 2nd place finish I figured.  Head-to-head with Chris Mathison, we both scored great lifts in each event, but I simply beat him in the GripTopz lifts.  I think it was Coin and Stub and those lifts suited me and are really NOT bodyweight dependent lifts.  I beat him by more in the GripTopz lifts then he beat me in the Vulcan and 2HP lifts.  Overall, I got more points by a very small margin and won the contest.  I'm telling yuh.... glory days right there.  

Ummm...if I ever beat Adam Glass in any physical encounter...it would be on my sig line.  Hell, "I beat ATG" would be my avatar too. :laugh

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Yeah...another screw-up in my post.  I guess women competed in an Open class prior to 2012.

I think it would be fantastic if we could get more women into Grip Sport.

Elizabeth Horne is a prime example of what can be accomplished with time.  

I believe she is the only woman to lift the Blob and to one hand pinch a pair of York 20kg plates.  

There are a plenty of guys who can't do that.

Not to mention she has also bent G5's and probably capable of close #2.5 or better from something not a CCS. She is an amazing role model for all not just the women.

- Aaron

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

@anwnate  I imagine it's the same with folks like Chuck Norris, but it's probably more accurate that he beat himself.

Ha!  I get a real kick out of Norris jokes. ;)

7 minutes ago, acorn said:

Not to mention she has also bent G5's and probably capable of close #2.5 or better from something not a CCS. She is an amazing role model for all not just the women.

- Aaron

Agreed.  That's why she's hanging in my Gym besides David.  

However, the wifey was somewhat skeptical and only half kidding when she said..."You have a WOMAN on your wall?"  Heh.

dave and elizabeth.jpg

How about also consider age classes

It is a little hard now to compete against 20-30 year old kids

4 minutes ago, Gary Gray said:

How about also consider age classes

It is a little hard now to compete against 20-30 year old kids

There are age \ weight classes already for 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, etc

But like mentioned above those are not normally contested at a comp due to lack of competitors in the classes. They are tracked on the top 100 list though.

Edited by acorn

Aaron does a good job of adding age group to any record lifts on the Top 50 lists.  Long ago it was decided that age group lifts would start being recognized at age 50 - as grip doesn't really seem to decline before then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Aaron does a good job of adding age group to any record lifts on the Top 50 lists.  Long ago it was decided that age group lifts would start being recognized at age 50 - as grip doesn't really seem to decline before then. 

Or in your case...75yo.

• Like 1