Weight Classes in Grip Sport

anwnate

For a long time now, I've had some issues figuring out weight classes…partially due to the fact that we Americans stubbornly refuse to adopt the metric system.  (Was anyone else told as a child we were going to do that?)

I'm sure most of you already understand this...but...I'm making a cheat sheet for anyone who has also had this issue, or is new to Grip Sport.

Grip Sport Weight Classes are as follows.

59kg / 66kg / 74kg / 83kg / 93kg / 105kg / 120kg / 120+kg; Women: Open

What do these numbers mean?  And…how might this affect you?

1.  To participate in a weight class you must weigh less than, or exactly equal to that weight class. 

For example, to participate in the 59kg weight class, you can weigh 0kg - 59.00kg. 

If you weigh 59.01kg - 66.00kg…you are automatically competing in the 66kg weight class.

2.  At a sanctioned contest the promoter must weight each competitor on a point-calibrated scale no longer than 2 hours before the start of the contest.

What does that mean to you, the competitor?

If you happen to be very close to the beginning point of a weight class and wish to compete in the next level, you are allowed to manipulate your water weight to achieve that goal…as long as you weigh in within 2 hours of the start of the contest.

Here are some real life examples:

Example 1:  The competition is NAGSC 2016…Gripster A weighs 106kg but would like to compete in the 105kg weight class…Gripster A could come in a little bit dehydrated to come in at or below 105.00kg.  During that 2 hour window, you can easily rehydrate.  Some people may take this to extremes to make weight…but at some  point, a huge drop in water weight could affect your performance negatively.

Example 2.  The competition is the HAS in 2014.  Gripster B weighs  97kg (105kg weight class). 

Basically, Gripster B is screwed.  He has no chance at winning a weight class because he is competing against Jedd Johnson at the 105kg (Jedd dropped weight for this contest)….AND…if if he drops weight to compete in the 93kg weight class, he will be competing against Kody Burns.  At this point, Gripster B should consider his likely competition AFTER Kody or Jedd.  However, if at some point…if it does not really matter, then Gripster B should stay in the 105kg class since it's his natural weight anyway.

3.  Cheat sheet for those who still use lbs as weight measurement. (assuming your home scale goes to 1000ths)

59kg Weight Class = 0.00lbs-130.073lbs

66kg Weight Class = 130.073lbs-145.505lbs

74kg Weight Class = 145.505llbs - 163.142lbs

83kg Weight Class = 163.142lbs - 182.984lbs

93kg Weight Class = 182.984lbs - 205.03lbs

105kg Weight Class = 205.03lbs - 231.485lbs

120kg Weight Class = 231.485lbs - 264.555lbs

120=kg Weight Class = 264.555lbs - infinity

Edited by Cannon
made changes at Nate's request
  • Like 2

Just now, MattM said:

Wouldn't example 3 be in the 105kg weight class?

Absolutely.  Brainfart.  Apologies.

If we change the contest to the HAS, the date to 2014 (where Jedd competed in the 105kg) and exchange the "120's" for "105's", we can keep both the integrity and the humor of the example. :)

Maybe an administrator would be kind enough to make said changes.

Thanks!

The problem is that competitors are getting stronger in all the weight classes so it's not just one deep in a class anymore.  From 83K on up things are just tough if all the guys show up.  As a 93 I am totally screwed these days - Kody - Luke - Gil etc.  I think I'm going to make all these guys eat a huge breakfast "before" weigh in for Gripmas :).

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.

Women: OPEN. Sort of though ... for record purposes the women do have weight classes. I personally would love it if the women had a 66kg weight class, but alas, no luck there. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

Thanks for posting.

Women: OPEN. Sort of though ... for record purposes the women do have weight classes. I personally would love it if the women had a 66kg weight class, but alas, no luck there. 

We simply need more women to get into the sport - having a class with only one competitor makes things rough on everyone involved in putting on a contest - as well as the competitor herself.  I think having an ambassador like yourself is going to make a difference over time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

We simply need more women to get into the sport - having a class with only one competitor makes things rough on everyone involved in putting on a contest - as well as the competitor herself.  I think having an ambassador like yourself is going to make a difference over time.

I agree. We are def trying out this way. It doesn't help that the sport is intimidating and appears 99% male -  but I hope that me talking about it a lot starts to shift that image. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

I agree. We are def trying out this way. It doesn't help that the sport is intimidating and appears 99% male -  but I hope that me talking about it a lot starts to shift that image. 

I always have available a female class at Gripmas - and over the years have had several different ones compete - but darn few - and none the last couple years. 

10 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I always have available a female class at Gripmas - and over the years have had several different ones compete - but darn few - and none the last couple years. 

Well I believe we will be at Gripmas this year so you can count on me being there :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Example 2:  The competition is Gripmas 2016.  Gripster B weighs 118kg (120kg weight class).

Knowing that Jedd Johnson will be competing in the 120kg division, Gripster B drinks 3 pints of water so that he weighs 121kg.  Since it would be pointless to compete in the 120kg weight class (because Jedd will win),Gripster A now has a shot at winning the 120+kg weight class.

I don't believe this is correct. I think a competitor is free to compete in any weight class for which he/she is under the upper limit. So in the case above, Gripster B would not need to drink water to get into the next class.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I don't believe this is correct. I think a competitor is free to compete in any weight class for which he/she is under the upper limit. So in the case above, Gripster B would not need to drink water to get into the next class.

Ahh yes, and besides you may have me in the 120+ class to contend with.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The problem is that competitors are getting stronger in all the weight classes so it's not just one deep in a class anymore.  From 83K on up things are just tough if all the guys show up.  As a 93 I am totally screwed these days - Kody - Luke - Gil etc.  I think I'm going to make all these guys eat a huge breakfast "before" weigh in for Gripmas :).

Ha.  Yeah...doesn't seem to be any safe classes.  I think I'll hold a two person contest in Alaska. :)

3 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Sweet!  Thanks man.  I had no idea.  Then we can scrap example B. altogether.  Hopefully an admin can take care of that also.

I'd prefer not to be spreading poor information...especially since the post title might draw some newbies (absolutely not a derogatory term).

So...all the competitor needs to do is declare for a higher class?  Thanks Eric.

2 minutes ago, acorn said:

Ahh yes, and besides you may have me in the 120+ class to contend with.

There's no winning this.  Alaska it is.  :laugh

I'm not aware of an explicit recommendation on this topic. There's nothing in the IGC Technical Rulebook about it. But based on the fact that people have competed in multiple classes in a given event, I think it is accepted.

I know it is commonly accepted in armwrestling tournaments.

• Like 1

I just held Gripmas early - I won :)  LOL

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MCrushetta said:

I think with all the women involved in crossfit (grip strength is beneficial) and ambassador Maria on the scene, now is the time to get the involved. 

• Like 2

I have some experience because I have cut weight to compete all the way down to the 66kg class.  It was VERY hard for me to maintain that weight.  The one contest where I competed at 145lbs I basically did scenario 1.  I brought about a 7-course breakfast to the contest and was SO. HUNGRY.  I got there as early as possible, weighed in, then pigged out. 

Generally, the thing I've tried to draw attention to is the NATS Qualifiers and the Elite totals for the lighter weight classes.  Some of the qualifying chances are still over or very very near the class world records.  That's a pretty high bar.  Also, not having the gripper chance scaled down for weight classes really hurts.  I know there are lots of other choices, but grippers play such a huge role in the Sport and are one of the most available pieces of equipment.  But up through the 74k weight class, hitting a 150# gripper close is practically a world class feat.  Essentially off limits to those athletes.  And on the other hand, it's a joke for the heavier classes.  They could close a 150# by accident just because they picked it up and meant to hand it to someone else.  I'd really like to see grippers broken out with realistic numbers for each class.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Generally, the thing I've tried to draw attention to is the NATS Qualifiers and the Elite totals for the lighter weight classes.  Some of the qualifying chances are still over or very very near the class world records.  That's a pretty high bar.  Also, not having the gripper chance scaled down for weight classes really hurts.  I know there are lots of other choices, but grippers play such a huge role in the Sport and are one of the most available pieces of equipment.  But up through the 74k weight class, hitting a 150# gripper close is practically a world class feat.  Essentially off limits to those athletes.  And on the other hand, it's a joke for the heavier classes.  They could close a 150# by accident just because they picked it up and meant to hand it to someone else.  I'd really like to see grippers broken out with realistic numbers for each class.

Agreed I would like to so see a lot of the numbers for going to national to be re-evaluated. The numbers for the lower weight classes need to be lowered some and there needs to be numbers and weight classes for women.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Agreed I would like to so see a lot of the numbers for going to national to be re-evaluated. The numbers for the lower weight classes need to be lowered some and there needs to be numbers and weight classes for women.

It's interesting. It seems there could be a lot of ways to rethink it. For example, if there aren't enough women to have weight classes  ... why not have a WILKS type scoring ... where your body weight was taken into account given the weight you lifted. When I was beat in AZ  - fair and square - but only by a point or two - the gal that beat me was about 46lbs heavier and a foot taller than I was. Would it make sense to account for weight in cases like this when we just call it 'open'? I'm not sure I have the answer - just thinking out loud 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

It's interesting. It seems there could be a lot of ways to rethink it. For example, if there aren't enough women to have weight classes  ... why not have a WILKS type scoring ... where your body weight was taken into account given the weight you lifted. When I was beat in AZ  - fair and square - but only by a point or two - the gal that beat me was about 46lbs heavier and a foot taller than I was. Would it make sense to account for weight in cases like this when we just call it 'open'? I'm not sure I have the answer - just thinking out loud 

I guess I don't even get it. What's stopping us from having weight classes for women? Can't the five heads of NAGS vote on it or talk about it and just make it a thing?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I guess I don't even get it. What's stopping us from having weight classes for women? Can't the five heads of NAGS vote on it or talk about it and just make it a thing?

There are in fact 7 weight classes for the womens side. Though I think maybe Nate was only discussing classes for Nationals? It is pretty rare for the individual womens classes to be contested (I can't think of a single time although it was an option in my last comp) due to just not enough women competing at a single comp to fill out the classes. We only had 3 womens competitors at the last comp and they were all different classes. And 3 is a lot out here.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, acorn said:

There are in fact 7 weight classes for the womens side. Though I think maybe Nate was only discussing classes for Nationals? 

- Aaron

Ooops that's what I meant for Nationals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Goguen said:

Ooops that's what I meant for Nationals.

most contests are determined by most weight lifted, in an "Open" class for women, right?

And yes there are weight classes for women on the record sites.

7 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

most contests are determined by most weight lifted, in an "Open" class for women, right?

And yes there are weight classes for women on the record sites.

Honestly for most contests in our tiny sport we do not contest specific weight classes. Competitors weights are checked at weigh in before the comp and then they compete in an Open Class, either Mens or Womens. Then the scores are parsed out into the appropriate weight class for the lists when those are logged into the database. It is alot of extra work for the promoter to run specific weight classes when it comes to scoring and hard to justify when only 3-10 people show up and not 50+ or even 10+ per class.

- Aaron

14 minutes ago, acorn said:

There are in fact 7 weight classes for the womens side. Though I think maybe Nate was only discussing classes for Nationals? It is pretty rare for the individual womens classes to be contested (I can't think of a single time although it was an option in my last comp) due to just not enough women competing at a single comp to fill out the classes. We only had 3 womens competitors at the last comp and they were all different classes. And 3 is a lot out here.

- Aaron

Yeah...another screw-up in my post.  I guess women competed in an Open class prior to 2012.

I think it would be fantastic if we could get more women into Grip Sport.

Elizabeth Horne is a prime example of what can be accomplished with time.  

I believe she is the only woman to lift the Blob and to one hand pinch a pair of York 20kg plates.  

There are a plenty of guys who can't do that.

• Like 2