Ip And Lbs

Guest shovelboy

Guest shovelboy

I've heard so many people telling me what they think the difference is betwen the two, but I'd like to know from the people who know. Is there a standard equation for conversion from IP to LBS? Does IP even stand for inch pounds? How would 200lbs relate to 200 IPs?

The two can't be converted as they measure different forces. It would be a bit like comparing distance and speed. You can technicaly do it, but the answer is non-sense for what you want to know.

Lbs (pounds) is obviously the direct force a mass places on a scale. A 200 lb rock, will apply 200 pounds of pressue to the ground. Too easy. IP, or Inch-Pounds are different, as they are a measure of torque.

For this example, we'll use a 10 lb sledge hammer.

Set the 10 lb sledge hammer on the ground, and it will place 10lbs of force on the ground. That's it. Now torque is a bit different, this is the "twisting force" of the hammer when it is suspended horrizontaly by it's handle. If the 10 lb sledge was straight up and down in the "twelve-o-clock" position, there would be 10 lbs of force on the ground, and ZERO Inch-pounds on a hand holding the bottom of the handle. This is because it is Zero inches (the distance from the hand on the handle to the 10lb head, measured horrizontaly), x 10 lbs. = 0 ip.

Now, if you lower the hammer to parallel, with the hammer only supported by a hand at the base of the 36" handle, there is still 10lbs of force down wards, but the "torque" on the hand is 36" (distance horrizontal) x 10 lbs, or 360 ip.

As the sledge is brought through the ark, it experiences more and more torque (ip). The formula is based off of trigonometry, which I am useless at with out a calculator, but it works.

The same thing is applied to grippers. I'm not sure of the standard by which they are closed, but I believe it is a weight placed at the center of the handle. It's measured in pounds because they by-pass the whole distance part, and just list the force at that distance. Of course, grippers vary in difficulty based off of the spring (force) and the setting of the handle (distance) which leads to the inconsistancies of gripper strengths.

Over all, the poundage is the force. The Inch pounds is the force at a specific distance. (force x distance = torque)

Guest shovelboy

Ok, sort of like the tendancy to confuse crushing strength to pulling strength... IPs are just a more appropriate measurement for hand strength training.

Its easy to falsley think holding 300lbs in your hand off the ground is the same as crushing something with 300lbs of pressure.

Crap, THAT's not even 300IP. C'mon shovelboy, not just force... distance too! Thanks Bender.