Wtaj News Story On My Son's Powerlifting

Rick Walker

• Like 7

Are there people trying to talk Casey out of training? I never understand the "haters and doubters" comments. They seem out of place in an otherwise positive message.

• Like 2

Yes, many of his teachers (including his gym teacher) and fellow students tell him lifting is too dangerous for him, will stunt his growth, will hurt him in the long run, etc. He also had a teacher tell him to his face, "Enjoy your 10 seconds of fame, its all you are going to get."

When asked one day in class what he wanted to do for a career he said, "Play in the NFL". His teacher laughed in his face in front of 25 other students and told him there is a 99.9% chance that will never make it. F*cking dream killers. Cant wait to get out of PA and south to GA! I tell my kids every day they can do and be anything they want if they are willing to work for it. It seems small town attitudes pissed off at their own short comings take it out on the dreamers.

Awesome story and what you and the kid have built together.

As for the haters. Screw what they have to say. If the kid wants to do this, let him continue to develop what he loves to do.

• Like 2

Very cool story! Unreal his teachers are telling that to him. :shutup:

• Like 1

Very cool story! Unreal his teachers are telling that to him. :shutup:

I agree. Like I said, its more an anger thing. This lady obviously didnt want to be a teacher, and she's pissed at the world about it. The good news is my wife knows her and will run into her over the holiday break. And my Detroit born and raised wife wont hold her tongue.

• Like 1

I'm glad. I've always taught my kids (at every level I've ever been) that ANYTHING is possible. And with a vision, commitment, determination and persistence, you become unstoppable in your pursuit of goals ... whether you get there or not, you will be better. It kinda makes me sick to think that they are telling kids stuff like that.

• Like 1

Congrats to your son and good on you and your wife for supporting the passion for lifting. Lifting at a young age is such a great thing for everything from health to confidence. His teachers are likely skeptical of something they don't understand but as with everything, haters gonna hate, what's important is his drive and your support so in short GOOD JOB!

• Like 1

He also had a teacher tell him to his face, "Enjoy your 10 seconds of fame, its all you are going to get."

It's one thing for people to be skeptical, cautious, cling to thoughts that they are misinformed regarding, but a statement like that from a teacher, especially at the age of the boy...tells me that person should not be a teacher. That is way out there.

• Like 1

He also had a teacher tell him to his face, "Enjoy your 10 seconds of fame, its all you are going to get."

It's one thing for people to be skeptical, cautious, cling to thoughts that they are misinformed regarding, but a statement like that from a teacher, especially at the age of the boy...tells me that person should not be a teacher. That is way out there.

It's the small town attitude. We have had a few good athletes leave here only to get cut eventually and wind up alcoholics coaching youth teams and working at the local factory. That is a big motivation for us to move south to GA. Football is life down there. Hell, half their high school teams are televised here in PA. I want my son surrounded by that talent and opportunity. I want to give him every chance I can to reach his goals and dreams.

My memory is a little fogged right now, so I can not remember what professional sport this was for sure; as I work so many sporting events a year...

but I think it was an NFL player who used his negative HS experiences as motivation to make the football team in college.

He then used those same negative experiences for his youth to motivate him to go pro.

on another sport,

I am sure Muggsy Bogues, at a height of 5'3", was told many many many times he was too short to ever play in the NBA, but he did not listen... and he did not only get into the NBA, but he played in the league for over a decade.

so the hell with the nay sayers, someday your boy might get to say "I told you so."

• Like 1

Great story.

So sad to hear about the naysayers, especially those in positions to influence. I know that small-town jealous mentality all so well. Most people who have no dreams or anything for themselves don't want others to have them either.

I have met Clay Dyer in person as he is from a small town about 15 miles from my hometown. It is always astonishing to hear him talk about some of the people in our area who tried to be "honest" and "realistic" with him from a young age about his dreams and the things he would not be able to do like "normal people". After watching this clip, it's safe to say he just didn't want to listen:

Screw those with no desires that make it a point to shit on others.

• Like 2

I tell my son to look at guys like Darren Sproles: 5'6" and 190 and has been active and productive in the NFL since 2005! Julian Edelman: 5'10", 200 and a premier receiver with a Super Bowl Ring. Wes Welker: 5'9", 185. Another outstanding receiver.

My son is in the 75% for height. He will be at least 5'10" or better. He has as much a chance as any other 11 year old playing today!

• Like 1

What a great bond the two of you are building! It seems to me that your son has the heart and the drive to do just about anything he wants to do. Big congrats to him and kudos to you for helping to make his journey a whole lot smoother than the naysayers would like it to be.

• Like 1

Very cool video Rick. I watched it via facebook.

The discipline, goal setting, hard work, time management, and even the learning from failures along the way will carry over into life in general regardless of goals.

I've seen it in both of our kids (now 24 and 22 - both in professional school) and it has now foundationally helped them reach very high goals outside of sports/lifting.

Both of them had strength trained 2 times per week on the basics since they were in grade school.

Another benefit is being healthy and knowledge of nutrition, proper rest, etc. as adults.

• Like 1

Very cool video Rick. I watched it via facebook.

The discipline, goal setting, hard work, time management, and even the learning from failures along the way will carry over into life in general regardless of goals.

I've seen it in both of our kids (now 24 and 22 - both in professional school) and it has now foundationally helped them reach very high goals outside of sports/lifting.

Both of them had strength trained 2 times per week on the basics since they were in grade school.

Another benefit is being healthy and knowledge of nutrition, proper rest, etc. as adults.

Part of my interview that was cut was where I spoke of using every training session as a lesson in success or failure, about never giving up, about pushing past that "quit" voice in your head and how that carries over to all aspects of life.

• Like 1

Great story Rick! And to hell with those other naysayers! If Casey keeps developing the way he is now, he'll have a very good chance of making it to the NFL. And sure even if the NFL thing doesn't work out, just having built that work ethic from such a young age ensures that he's going to be successful in whatever endevour he partaces in!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...