Choked Grippers

KapMan

Grippers were not made with the intention to be closed from parallel or choker. I see them as training tools. Parallel happens to be a contest form. Heck, if you want to train inverted, why not! I think everyone agrees that the no set is the king of gripperdomination. This is the real purpose a handgripper is made for. Handsize is a factor, but in the end it is mainly strength. Putting a choker on grippers in contest seems for me a bit pointless, since you could just as well use a plateloader or so in that case. Just me though. I agree that setting grippers is very technical however.

A dynamometer or a scale squeeze would be better for a competition than a choked gripper IMO.

If you want to eliminate the setting why not eliminate the gripper completely and just measure the pressure you can apply in your hands :)

Because it is not nearly as fun to do or watch, besides the fact that grip dyno's are very expensive.

- Aaron

To be honest I think that watching choked gripper closes are boring as hell also. Especially if it's a very narrow choke.

The perfect set width is between 30-40 mm IMO. It's difficult but not so difficult that it defeats the purpose of competing. CCS sort of does that, when you have people that can close the next official level of gripper (that you can cert on) but can't close the previous level of gripper with CCS.

Grippers were not made with the intention to be closed from parallel or choker. I see them as training tools. Parallel happens to be a contest form. Heck, if you want to train inverted, why not! I think everyone agrees that the no set is the king of gripperdomination. This is the real purpose a handgripper is made for. Handsize is a factor, but in the end it is mainly strength. Putting a choker on grippers in contest seems for me a bit pointless, since you could just as well use a plateloader or so in that case. Just me though. I agree that setting grippers is very technical however.

A dynamometer or a scale squeeze would be better for a competition than a choked gripper IMO.

If you want to eliminate the setting why not eliminate the gripper completely and just measure the pressure you can apply in your hands :)

Because it is not nearly as fun to do or watch, besides the fact that grip dyno's are very expensive.

- Aaron

To be honest I think that watching choked gripper closes are boring as hell also. Especially if it's a very narrow choke.

The perfect set width is between 30-40 mm IMO. It's difficult but not so difficult that it defeats the purpose of competing. CCS sort of does that, when you have people that can close the next official level of gripper (that you can cert on) but can't close the previous level of gripper with CCS.

Fist of Fury, it's not that I am a particular fan of chokered closes in contests. Just that grip dyno's don't really play well in contests for the reasons I mentioned. To my knowledge chokered grippers have only been tried in a contest setting at the gripmas contest. They are however a great training tool. It seems like you have what works best in a contest all figured out. You must have competed in a grip contest many times seeing and done the many variations of gripper type closes in a contest setting as well as maybe even promoted a few then? I can really not be sure since I have no idea who you are based on your screen name.

- Aaron

So the general census is that its [choked grippers] better suited for variation work, and I would be prepared and stronger if I practiced off hand setting and continue to do full range work. My road to the #3 will be long until CPW does a mega pre-rate sale. I'm no where close to a 2-5 pound progression.

Vano makes extensive use of chokers, and he's probably a top 2 or 3 crush guy on the planet right now.

- Aaron

Fist of Fury, it's not that I am a particular fan of chokered closes in contests. Just that grip dyno's don't really play well in contests for the reasons I mentioned. To my knowledge chokered grippers have only been tried in a contest setting at the gripmas contest. They are however a great training tool. It seems like you have what works best in a contest all figured out. You must have competed in a grip contest many times seeing and done the many variations of gripper type closes in a contest setting as well as maybe even promoted a few then? I can really not be sure since I have no idea who you are based on your screen name.

- Aaron

I don't think that dynamometers are interesting in a contest. That was basically my point, both are boring but with a dynamo you can atleast alter the grip (if you design it that way).

Both are useful in training, so I agree with that. Too little action in a contest, but with a dynamo you're using the equipment as it was intended to be used by design. With a choked gripper you're not.

Why is it important to you to know if I'm a promoter or competitor at all? Can't a watch any sport as a spectator? You're free to use whatever methods you want in your contests. I'm just stating that I don't like that concept, I think setting blocks are more fun. It should be a technical aspect (setting) with closing a gripper I think otherwise it's not much of a sport. If you just want to check power you might aswell just use a dynamo, that was what I wanted to say.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Vano makes extensive use of chokers, and he's probably a top 2 or 3 crush guy on the planet right now.

I think you can put him at #1 with minimal argument

• Like 1

My best TNS is 141

My best CCS is 146

My best MMS is 156

My best 20mm block set is 156

My best choked to parallel close is 195

What conclusions might be drawn from this? One thing is that the entire body is involved in all except the chokered close. If the object is to test the closing strength of the hand – what value is there in any type of setting process where we use both hands – a chest crush etc? I think the confusion here is – are we testing the hands absolute strength or are we testing our ability to close a certain implement - i.e. a Torsion Spring Gripper and using the whole “setting” processes as artificial methods of getting the TSG into the position that we feel is our sweet spot? Torsion Spring Grippers are a great test of Torsion Spring Grippers – but I think someone can and someday will come up with a much improved way to test our hand closing strength.

• Like 4

Nathan Holle

Can't disagree but has anyone seen his training or witness anything out of him lately...if he isn't he is still top 3

I think there was one guy here that trained with him years ago, which was reflected through his training log. Other than that I've only seen 2 videos ever. Coc #4x7 and ghp 9 cert.

I think there was one guy here that trained with him years ago, which was reflected through his training log. Other than that I've only seen 2 videos ever. Coc #4x7 and ghp 9 cert.

That's probably Chris James. No grip slouch himself.

• Like 1