Choked Grippers

KapMan

How often as a general rule should you choke your grippers and how does it help. I played around with it the other day. Not quite sure how to introduce this into training. Should I treat it like a variation ah la board press for bench? I can rep my 2.5 for days but can't set it with my hands to 20mm and do it.

What do you mean you can rep it for days? You mean inside the choker?

I can rep my 127 RGC 2.5 COC choked to 20mm easily.

Train your weakness and make it a strength. Practice your set!

• Like 2

I can rep my 2.5 for days but can't set it with my hands to 20mm and do it.

Can you close your gripper when you set it to 20 mm, or do you have trouble setting it to 20 mm to begin with?

I can rep my 2.5 for days but can't set it with my hands to 20mm and do it.

Can you close your gripper when you set it to 20 mm, or do you have trouble setting it to 20 mm to begin with?

Trouble setting it. I can however get it CC width. But to be honest I've never tried to set until a few weeks ago. I don't like grippers, but it's a necessary evil for competition I suppose.

I'm right with you with hating setting. I'd rather either do it minimal set or with a choker of various widths or not at all. Since I don't compete and have no plans to cert anytime soon, I can afford this luxury for now. Someone should just make grippers that are 1.5 inches in span (or 20 mm).

• Like 1

I'm right with you with hating setting. I'd rather either do it minimal set or with a choker of various widths or not at all. Since I don't compete and have no plans to cert anytime soon, I can afford this luxury for now. Someone should just make grippers that are 1.5 inches in span (or 20 mm).

Silvia sells them!

Since it seems people choke in competition anyways, what I meant was that the new norm for gripper width should be somewhere slightly more open than a competition choke to parallel.

Silvia sells them!

I saw that, wonder if they are any good.

Sometimes I wonder if the choker is putting assisting pressure on the gripper if the gripper is choked to parallel, considering the fact that the tips of the grip handles near the spring don't come any closer than they are during parallel. In fact, common sense tells me they widen out at the corners a little. Then again, I have seen videos of people shaking their clamp almost off upon closing a choked gripper as sort of an added bonus, so maybe I am wrong about this.

Grippers were not made with the intention to be closed from parallel or choker. I see them as training tools. Parallel happens to be a contest form. Heck, if you want to train inverted, why not! I think everyone agrees that the no set is the king of gripperdomination. This is the real purpose a handgripper is made for. Handsize is a factor, but in the end it is mainly strength. Putting a choker on grippers in contest seems for me a bit pointless, since you could just as well use a plateloader or so in that case. Just me though. I agree that setting grippers is very technical however.

Edited by Geralt

Silvia sells them!

I saw that, wonder if they are any good.

They are. :) Usually the only complaint is that they are narrow, but you're looking for that.

It seems arbitrary to me that grippers are spanned near 3 inches. Who came up with that number? In the end you can really just do what you would like and train at any width, and no one can say much to you because everything is arbitrary. It seems to me personally that avoiding all the (annoying) technicality of the set by choking at various widths is much more fun and a more true test of just ape-like power, along with the no/minimal set.

Edited by avasatu

I've no set because I thought that's what I've supposed to do. I lack progression in my current collection of grippers, I go from 65,83,88,110 to 127 then to 144. So training in the traditional sense is kinda hard.

Edited by KapMan

Grippers were not made with the intention to be closed from parallel or choker. I see them as training tools. Parallel happens to be a contest form. Heck, if you want to train inverted, why not! I think everyone agrees that the no set is the king of gripperdomination. This is the real purpose a handgripper is made for. Handsize is a factor, but in the end it is mainly strength. Putting a choker on grippers in contest seems for me a bit pointless, since you could just as well use a plateloader or so in that case. Just me though. I agree that setting grippers is very technical however.

A dynamometer or a scale squeeze would be better for a competition than a choked gripper IMO.

If you want to eliminate the setting why not eliminate the gripper completely and just measure the pressure you can apply in your hands :)

A dynamometer or a scale squeeze would be better for a competition than a choked gripper IMO.

If you want to eliminate the setting why not eliminate the gripper completely and just measure the pressure you can apply in your hands :)

Because it is not nearly as fun to do or watch, besides the fact that grip dyno's are very expensive.

- Aaron

Because grippers are cooler :grin: and they force you to work on your weak fingers because of the increase in difficulty at the end of the rep.

Grippers suck😏

If CPW has a contest we'll probably do RH 20mm block set on rated grippers and then add a LH dyno pull. Just for fun.

Because grippers are cooler :grin: and they force you to work on your weak fingers because of the increase in difficulty at the end of the rep.

Grippers suck😏
You might have the wrong site bro

Grippers suck😏
You might have the wrong site bro

Nope I'm right at home. They suck to me but I'll train them.