Where To Even Start?

Bernie Hunt

I need some guidance on where to get started. After many years of life abuse, I'm on the path to getting back into shape. I started weight training a couple of months ago and I want to add some grip training also. I got a mailing from Iron Mind which led me to here. There seem to be a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge here so I'm hoping for some help, hahahaha.

I need to set up a basic training program for all around grip improvement, crushing, pinching, forearm, etc. I have a COC trainer and #1. What addition equipment do I need and what exercises and sets should I do.

Sorry to ask such a basic questions, but the information I've found is a bit overwhelming when you are just starting out.

Thanks,

Bernie

Bernie,

PLEASE get the book, "Mastery Of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield. It will lay out a basic beginner's grip routine for you as well as explain some of the terminology that we use right here on the forum. It is sold on the IronMind website.

The book is considered mandatory reading on this forum, so it would be wise of you to get it, read it, THEN you can proceed to ask us questions without looking like a goober newbie! :happy:laugh

All kidding aside, welcome to the GripBoard!! :D:D

• Thanks 1

Guest gripmaster316

First things first. How are you with the T and #1. If you can close the 1 forget about the T. Work on the one by doing singles, reps, negatives, strap holds. That should get you started. Some people on the board dislike the way I train. For example I am training for the three and for my grip workout I do nothing but work on it (even for a warmup). Of course my training is subject to opinion (lots of it) but I have been training for about 7 months now and am getting near with the three.

Best of luck with training!!!

Bernie,

I'll back what Sybersnott says get Brookfield's book!!! Even if you never do any of the training he lists in the book, it'll get you thinking creatively about training. And for long term commitment to training I think this is an essential component of your mindset!!!

The other thing I'd reccomend is pick 1-3 main grip goals and work in other stuff along the way.

But be careful grip training can become highly addictive ;)

Jon@han

OK, I read MOHS and let is digest for a couple of days. I'm still at a loss of where to begin.

The three exercises that I seem to be equipped for now are:

Grippers

Plate curling

Pinch gripping

Now is the part where I'm completely ignorant. What kind of sets and how many reps.

For example am I looking for low rep counts and high exertion or high reps to reach exertion?

For some specifics, Grippers;

How may sets/reps for closure and how may set/reps for negatives.

Plate curling;

My current regular workouts are 6 sets, 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12, with the final two combined. Should I try to follow this same pattern?

Pinch Gripping;

This one is different, how many seconds of hold count as a set? Then the obvious quesiton, how many sets.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a concrete plan for a workout. Without a solid plan, then I know I won't really get anything done.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Bernie

Hi bernie,

If you read chapter nine in MOHS it tells you plans,sets & reps.

read it again its all there for rounded programs.

Good luck with the program you choose.

Mittz

If you read chapter nine in MOHS it tells you plans,sets & reps.

read it again its all there for rounded programs.

Good luck with the program you choose.

I just reread chapter nine. It was helpful in selecting the exercises that help match my goals. The problem is what is is missing.

It says to use 5 sets for crushing strength, but doesn't say how many reps. It says, for pinching, to hold for 5 to 10 seconds, but doesn't say if this is one rep or one set and also doesn't say how many reps/sets.

Combining in chapter three, it doesn't say anything about negitives and when to use them instead of positives.

Its this missing information that I'm trying to find out.

Bernie

Dont take anything in there as written in stone. When you are just beginning, questions such as "how many sets/reps", "how often" etc is very common. The simple answer to them is that you have to figure it out yourself. I know it has been said before but its really the only way. Nobody trains exactly the same and everybody has different goals, there are no real secrets.

If you want strength, train with lower reps. How low? Find out what you like and what you respond best too. For how many sets? As many as you find neccessary for your particular program.

Train as often you feel fresh. Or you can try to actually overtrain a little bit and then take 1-3 days of complete rest to recover.

I try to train my hands at least 5 times a week. But I dont push myself to the max everyday. On many days I stop one rep short. Instead I do many sets spread out on the day. I have found that it seems to be very effective for me. And it doesnt seem to tire me out so I can use a higher volume.

Summed up, take a look at my quote at the bottom of my post. :tongue

Have fun and stay motivated, that is what matters.

To the grip newbie-this can all be very confusing. I know you are eager to jump right into grip work-and thus newbies have a tendancy to overtrain.

From your current rep/set scheme for your regular workouts-it looks like you are doing "Body For Life". I would not train your grip this way.

Here is the grip workout I followed for the first few months of training:

first grip routine

This took me pretty far-but like anything else, you have to change.

My routine now is MUCH more intense, but I think it would have just killed me in the begining.

Good luck-

Rick Walker :rock

Rick,

Thanks for the info! Just the guidance I was looking for.

I have no background in training, so I appresiate guidance from you guys with more experience.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...