Paused Blob Curl

Jedd Johnson

I practice blob curls both standing and sitting. I use half of 20,30 40, 50 and 70 pre USA. Sitting helps build up form and has a shorter fall to the deck. Standing get harder due to load in your hand, the longer the load is in your hand the harder it to maintain form due to gravity. It depends on how you hold the blob in your hand will determine if you bend your wrist or not.

Edited by Ceya!

Why is it that the same logic and standard of integrity and strictness aren't applied to gripper closes?

We are encouraged to gain every bit of momentum and leverage necessary to close grippers (good set, placement within hand, wrist extension, radiant tension, and so forth).

The discussion taking place in this thread, IMO, is akin to telling someone a gripper close isn't legit if you use chalk, if you set the gripper in any way, if the bottom of the dogleg handle is not at least flush with the outside of your pinky, or if you try to use any sort of momentum or strength originating from outside your closing hand.

Makes no sense. Am I missing something?

All that to say, mind blowing lifts guys. Hurts just to watch.

• Like 2

Crazy strength Jedd and Luke! I can clean a Blob50 but cannot even come close to curling my 42.5. Nice work guys

That was incredible feat of strength by both of you. The wrist control and strength really impressed me. Curling even a 45 plate with a pause is very hard I can't imagine with a 50lb blob. Great work. Both of your progressions since training together has been something else, back to back national wins as well as pushing the limits of what can be done in grip. All while looking better then ever, great inspiration.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Can you try the lift with a light Blob and see if there is some physical restriction in bones or joints? I guess most of us could stand up straight arms at sides, shoulders down and hands and palms facing straight ahead or no? I am thinking at the finish of a deadlift underhanded prior to a curl, with a barbell or even a 2x8 board being pinched underhanded ( even closer in anatomical position most "could "assume this position.

This is precisely what I can't attain. I can't even force my palms into that position (facing forward) unless I also rotate my upper arm outward, I'd estimate 15 to 30 degrees.

Why is it that the same logic and standard of integrity and strictness aren't applied to gripper closes?

We are encouraged to gain every bit of momentum and leverage necessary to close grippers (good set, placement within hand, wrist extension, radiant tension, and so forth).

The discussion taking place in this thread, IMO, is akin to telling someone a gripper close isn't legit if you use chalk, if you set the gripper in any way, if the bottom of the dogleg handle is not at least flush with the outside of your pinky, or if you try to use any sort of momentum or strength originating from outside your closing hand.

Makes no sense. Am I missing something?

All that to say, mind blowing lifts guys. Hurts just to watch.

I don't mind the idea of "ultimate strictness" on the Blob Curl, to be honest, as long as the expectations are right. Some aspects of the description just seem unattainable at this point and need to be refined. If this means I will never accomplish a truly 100% strict Blob Curl, that is a very small worry in my mind.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Luke and I train hard and love every bit of it. While we post a lot of successes, believe me, the misses out-number them by 10 fold if not higher. Thanks for the recognition.

• Like 2

I could do a quick video to explain the strict blob curl as I envision it. I can send it to Jedd if he is interested . I think it is a simple but VERY difficult lift to accomplish correctly without body English or specified mechanical positioning used.

One person likened it to variations of closing a gripper. Two quite different tasks. One has resistance and not much weight involved and the other( Blob ) has weight ,leverage and resistance involved. Take a light gripper sometime and see how many positions of the wrist can be assumed ,you can still make the handles close. Another learning self test is how many ways can be employed to do a " cheat" curl as opposed to a dead strict( not just back to wall) curl. Anyone can claim any feat but there are certain parameters to be considered putting all feats in perspective of true merit.

Can you try the lift with a light Blob and see if there is some physical restriction in bones or joints? I guess most of us could stand up straight arms at sides, shoulders down and hands and palms facing straight ahead or no? I am thinking at the finish of a deadlift underhanded prior to a curl, with a barbell or even a 2x8 board being pinched underhanded ( even closer in anatomical position most "could "assume this position.

This is precisely what I can't attain. I can't even force my palms into that position (facing forward) unless I also rotate my upper arm outward, I'd estimate 15 to 30 degrees.

that's normal, the supination norm is 70 degrees( based on AMA guides), to force the palm facing forward (90 degrees) you have to externally rotate the shoulder

• Like 1

I could do a quick video to explain the strict blob curl as I envision it. I can send it to Jedd if he is interested . I think it is a simple but VERY difficult lift to accomplish correctly without body English or specified mechanical positioning used.

One person likened it to variations of closing a gripper. Two quite different tasks. One has resistance and not much weight involved and the other( Blob ) has weight ,leverage and resistance involved. Take a light gripper sometime and see how many positions of the wrist can be assumed ,you can still make the handles close. Another learning self test is how many ways can be employed to do a " cheat" curl as opposed to a dead strict( not just back to wall) curl. Anyone can claim any feat but there are certain parameters to be considered putting all feats in perspective of true merit.

Sounds great. I know I'd appreciate it.

that's normal, the supination norm is 70 degrees( based on AMA guides), to force the palm facing forward (90 degrees) you have to externally rotate the shoulder

Right, now imagine doing it pinch-gripping a 50-lb Blob.

Why physically it can be done it is by the shape and confirmation very very hard to do. I grant that to anyone. But if done dead strict the list might be shorter. If you stand erect shoulders down a dinner plate , piece of wood , barbell plate it can be mechanically done with hands centered over item, wrist locked straight, not more to finger side ,and if you are strong enough .........it certainly be done.

I honestly do not recall seeing anyone ever lift the Blob with a straight wrist. That aspect blows my mind.

I'm really not good with some of these biomechanic things, but if your wrist is straight and you're holding a Blob, wouldn't the blob then be tilted at about a 30 degree angle from vertical?

• Like 2

I honestly do not recall seeing anyone ever lift the Blob with a straight wrist. That aspect blows my mind.

I'm really not good with some of these biomechanic things, but if your wrist is straight and you're holding a Blob, wouldn't the blob then be tilted at about a 30 degree angle from vertical?

That's how I'm seeing it. I figure it's like a plate curl and I always thought the plate stayed inline with the forearm throughout the lift.

Jedd and Luke have a crazy combination of strengths to be able to do this lift, extremely impressive work, well done!

There are not a lot of people who can clean the Blob, and this feat is probably significantly more difficult, no matter what rules are used. I think there is a higher injury risk than most feats as well. Since there are so few people who can do any variation of this feat; I will give props to anything from a reverse Blob power clean/cheat curl to the strictest lift imaginable -and all variations in between deserve celebration as well in my opinion. This is a new feat, so there is no pre-existing standard and I'm sure one will be agreed on as more are able to accomplish it-although I know of at least a couple people getting some type of injury trying it, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it for you from a risk vs. reward viewpoint.

• Like 1

Good post, man. The only time we are anywhere near that strict on grippers is when it is a TNS close.

Some guys don't even insert the credit card themselves on a CCS cert. And then hold court on how to make other grip feats conform to a "strict standard."

• Like 2

seeing Jedds video I give him three white I don't think it gets any better than this. it's literally the best blob curl captured on video hands down

Edited by rico300zx
  • Like 5

seeing Jedds video I give him three white I don't think it gets any better than this. it's literally the best blob curl captured on video hands down

Thanks, Parris. Wait until you see what I upload from last night though. Pretty awesome, by Luke!

• Like 1

Jedd, I got a lot of likes on that comment!

Edited by rico300zx