Paused Blob Curl

Jedd Johnson

Hit this last night, amongst other cool things, in another great, varied, minimal-stress, workout.

• Like 10

Solid!

Very very good. We have been discussing the tilt at the end of the deadlift and beginning of the curl places more of the weight resting on the palm and fingers thus helping. Using bent arms as well or tilting when carrying large diameter Blobs ,Inch bells etc is also aided by tilting and or bending of arms. ( a well kept secret)Both the efforts were along with Big Rich's the best I have ever seen. Strong is always strong! Congrats guys for raising the bar even higher ! See if you could to pull up straight armed to deadlift with no tilt, pause then curl with no swing ,wrist flexion or droop. You gentlemen ,,,are super strong! Best of luck!

The only thing aiding those lifts is being two strong mo-fo's, period.

You made a post the other day about how it needed to be paused, so they paused it. Now it needs to be with the thumb here, pointer finger there, ass over here? I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Great lift guys!

• Like 5

See if you could to pull up straight armed to deadlift with no tilt, pause then curl with no swing ,wrist flexion or droop. You gentlemen ,,,are super strong! Best of luck!

Tilt - no problem. We'll train that next time.

Pause - no problem.

Not sure what you mean by wrist flexion. Neither of us had our wrists flexed in this video. Both of us had our wrists extended.

Droop - I take this to mean the shoulder. In my case, this is the only way it's ever going to happen. I physically can not supinate my forearm enough to even curl a dumbbell, let alone a Blob.

Is there a video of Rich Williams doing these pristine curls somewhere?

• Like 6

I'll say, it's gonna probably be a couple of weeks before I try a Blob Curl again. My successful curl, which was actually my 3rd attempt, was of equal effort to loading a 350-lb atlas stone, and my right hand never recovered the entire rest of the workout.

Jedd wants to challenge himself to be the best and do it in a way he wants but considers rationally what others might suggest to add a clear, high water mark for strength with decent skill. We look to him for that. He is a mentor ,he is a teacher.

With no guides of mechanical and physical positioning the validity of the feat in itself is lessened. Jedd looks to do it better and stronger therefore accessing suggestions and learning might help others.

If anyone thinks tilting the Blob or Inch Replica doesn't help in a mechanical fashion or aided using momentum doesn't mean anything they might well become one of those that talk, dream and slide by on good enough. Many Thanks!

• Like 1

If anyone thinks tilting the Blob or Inch Replica doesn't help in a mechanical fashion or aided using momentum doesn't mean anything they might well become one of those that talk, dream and slide by on good enough. Many Thanks!

Amen to this, especially the Inch.

I'm still curious if there is a video of Big Rich Williams curling the blob floating around by chance.

• Like 1

I was going to comment on the video but I saw you had comments disable so I'll say it here. Extremely impressive feat guys!

Jedd wants to challenge himself to be the best and do it in a way he wants but considers rationally what others might suggest to add a clear, high water mark for strength with decent skill. We look to him for that. He is a mentor ,he is a teacher.

With no guides of mechanical and physical positioning the validity of the feat in itself is lessened. Jedd looks to do it better and stronger therefore accessing suggestions and learning might help others.

No one has said that it is not an advantage to tilt, of course it is. I guess it just struck me the wrong way that he posted a video and you said well do it with a pause. So then he posts one with a pause and gets well you need to do this this and this now too.

Time to preacher curl it with a pause on the bottom guys

• Like 2

I was going to comment on the video but I saw you had comments disable so I'll say it here. Extremely impressive feat guys!

I was going to comment on the video but I saw you had comments disable so I'll say it here. Extremely impressive feat gu

Thanks. Not sure why the comments are disabled!

• Like 1

I had thought of trying this feat and was around age 59 but still figured it "might go" There was no way that what I considered correctly done could I do "anything "with it except the initial deadlift and start of curl position.I envisioned and saw it mechanically possible to do a strict curl and negate any non grip related, leverage or cradling used for under support As Dr. Strossen has said " if you are strong enough" to lift in a non tilting movement off the floor and to deadlift ,lock at side , pause ,standing straight up with the blob full face forward and body square , arm at side ,elbow positioned to not allow forward or backward motion , keep my wrist straight palm forward, and curl at 90 degrees to torso( not cross body) . A lot said ,but ,fairly simple. 50 lbs easy????? Heck no, that's why the Blob is significant !

Rich walked in quietly as usual and I asked him to try something after he was warmed up a little. I don't recall what he was doing. I asked if he would try "something I thought was hard "and would appreciate seeing if it was possible. First try Rich did it exactly by the numbers and the deadlift and pause with positioning was "so easy. "The curl ,dead strict, wrist locked ,straight elbow ,motionless ,and palm forward slow deliberate curl ,was really near the top of his first try strength level. He said it was "real hard "and I thanked him. Impromptu, standing on the edge of the platform. No film was made " unofficial" training feat witnessed by an individual that knows the many facets of Blob lifting. It was what I envisioned a good ,strict ,Blob curl was that could be replicated and compared to at a later date.

Thanks.

Very very strong Jedd. Cannot think it can be replicated easily!

Very strong feats, of course! Props to two truly strong dudes.

I can understand what 1stCoC is saying about a pristine lift. My biggest critique would be how much they both drop the shoulder on the curling arm's side. But then again, how could I argue with guys so much stronger than myself??? So I would never even think of mentioning it, but since I see there is a bit of a discussion about what was said, I'd thought I'd throw it out there.

About keeping the wrist flat.... that might be arguable. Why would it not count if the wrist is bent back? Sure, maybe it is the "spirit of the lift" to try and maintain a flat wrist, but a blob is truly wide... maybe in something like a Plate Curl we could agree that it is in the spirit of the lift that the wrist is not bent backwards, but with something as wide as a blob is that even possible?

One last note: Riku Karu, a guy who trained with Juha in Finland, did reps with a Blob with his back against a wall. Those seemed very strict, but his wrist was of course bent way backwards.

Anyways, huge congrats to those guys.

Guys, the shoulder dip is a mechanical adjustment in order to be able to even perform the movement. I've injured myself in the past, going way back to high school baseball and can't supinate. If I didn't drop the shoulder, I'd be doing Blob Hammer Curls.

I honestly do not recall seeing anyone ever lift the Blob with a straight wrist. That aspect blows my mind.

• Like 1

Just re-watched the video and Luke BARELY dips his shoulder.

I've already performed a blob curl with my back against the wall...that was last year before NAGS! IT is actually my avatar picture!!

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

.... I'd be doing Blob Hammer Curls.

There's your next training idea Jedd!! What about a curl with the face grip -might be too awkward might have to be a reverse curl. 'course right now it'd have to be a smaller block weight.

Jon@han

I have been doing a number of experiments with willing , strong lifters. The raised shoulder stance at the finish of a curl or Blob deadlift in preparation to finish the lift, a shoulder drop at moment of applied force would change and enable the upper arm to drop vertically and the leverage would change quite a bit in that the elbow (fulcrum point) drops and allows you to be in a better mechanical , moving position to "get under "the weight or Blob and closer to the finish coasting part of I the lift. Very important lesson noted thanks!

All Luke and I can do is try.

Luke and I tried lifting the Blob last night with a straight wrist. The only way we found it to be possible is by nearly tipping the Blob over on its side. I wish there was a way for Rich Williams to give the feat a try again, because I just can't figure out the wrist part. I think everything else makes sense as far as ultimate strictness is concerned.

Can you try the lift with a light Blob and see if there is some physical restriction in bones or joints? I guess most of us could stand up straight arms at sides, shoulders down and hands and palms facing straight ahead or no? I am thinking at the finish of a deadlift underhanded prior to a curl, with a barbell or even a 2x8 board being pinched underhanded ( even closer in anatomical position most "could "assume this position.

The anatomical position which you are referring is attainable until you place an object the shape and size of the blob the your Hand which then your wrist must go into an extension position to keep the blob in a vertical position. If you straighten the wrist to a neutral position the blob with then tilt giving you a benefit of your fingers being underneath therefore taking the more of the pressure and will increase as you flex your elbow. Also anytime you squeeze anything (barbell, dumbbell, thick bar) and attempt to squueze it the wrist naturally will go to its strongest position which is slight extension. With the blob extension is the natural position without a focused wrist flexion which will then tilt the blob and then take away the so called "strictness" of the 'blob curl'!

• Like 1

Here I explain my thought

• Like 1