Cns: Recovery And Overtraining Part 2

Geralt

Here are three paragraphs from the book I am writing.

Way back in the day when I started lifting weights and “working out” things were simple. No matter what lifts you were doing or what equipment you were using for it – it was all good. We pretty much did whatever and loved it. But that was before Money entered into things in a big way. Now everyone is a trainer or a coach or a “guru” (or some kind of income generating entity) telling you that whatever it is they are selling is the absolute best way to train – for anything and everything. I must disagree. Every training methodology has its place – it’s good and bad, weak and strong points – and more importantly – the ability to help you meet your goals. I understand you believing that what you are doing is the very best thing for you to reach your goals – but how can you possibly think that it is the best way for someone else to reach theirs if you don’t even know what those goals are.

Perhaps the answer is to learn to figure things out for yourself and not depend on the latest article etc from the guru of the day. Maybe people “need” or think they need someone to make up a “what to do” routine and then make marks on a paper for them to show what they did and if that’s what’s needed for you – then fine – whatever it takes to help you gain the confidence necessary before you go out on your own. If you haven’t noticed yet – I don’t think a coach or trainer is necessary for about 90% of the population. I think part of life is learning to actually do things on your own and if you have to have constant help – there is going to be a lot of things in life you will miss out on.

Believing in your program is one thing but blindly following along without giving consideration to how well it matches your goals is missing the point. There is NO one true way that will work for you to the exclusion of everything else. And anyone telling you that is trying to sell something – I guarantee it.

Please understand this is part of a whole chapter so it is out of context here.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

I'm hesitant to get involved in this conversation as the first thread got locked because of me. I cant sit idly by and let a post like Chris's go without at least being challeneged. On one hand you are right, everyone is different, but on the other hand your are absolutely wrong. Are we all not humans? If we get a cut thay requires stitches, arent the stitches all done basically the same? If we need bypass surgery, isnt it done the same way? If we were all that vastly different, medicine would be nearly impossible.

This stuff isnt rocket science. Train hard...everytime you walk into the weight room make improvements whether it be more weight, more reps, less rest, more sets, something that is a step above the last workout. Eat big...protein, vegetables, fruits, clean carbs, and avoid junk. Sleep hard...get 8+ a night and squeeze in naps if you can.

Do that, and I dont care WHO you are or WHAT your body type, you will grow bigger and stronger.

And Chris...sometimes people need a trainer or coach because they lack the motivation or are completely clueless. Not everyone does this for "the journey". My State Trooper friend thought he knew everything about training. I have him training legs hard around his terrible spinal arthritis and he has needed to go up a uniform size due to the workouts I put him through and the muscle gained...

Rick I respect your opinion - I just don't completely share it is all. It certainly isn't something I expect everyone - or anyone - to agree with. It's "my" opinion - and I have discussed the whole trainer thing with many of my friends - many of which are trainers who of course disagree with me. Arguing or disagreeing about training methods etc is kind of the whole point of a forum setting and I honestly don't understand when people get so upset about the whole thing. Different upbringings, different goals, (many of which don't have pure strength as the primary goal) bring people to different opinions. And having had both the pleasure of knowing good trainers and seen first hand the damage "not so good trainers" can cause - I am of the opinion I would rather do it myself.

I said this was out of context - there is more to the story that you might agree with about my thoughts with more information.

Edited by climber511

I do "believe" that different methods will work for different people. We're all humans yes, but we're all slightly different in all kind of ways. Our general structure is very similar. But when you get down to the fine structure, we're different enough for it to matter IMO. We don't all have the same amount of different receptors in our muscle tissues. Some will respond better to training with improved protein synthesis. Some will be more sensitive for inflammation, others will be more resilient. When you get deep down to cell communication, we're quite different from each other. It makes sense to me that when you add up all the tiny variables, they add up to make for the differences we see in people and how they respond to different training methods.

My two öre

It upsets people because it makes trainers and strength coaches appear to be clueless and uneducated. Both are incorrect. Sure there are the trainers who have mail order certs and zero education that tend to jack people up. Then there are those who eat, sleep, and breathe it. Who constantly study anatomy and physiology to see how muscles work, how to isolate them, how other systems of the body work. There are those who have the "under the bar" education as well and have put their time, blood, sweat, and tears into it and KNOW what works.

I dont care if its strength, power, size, endurance, weight loss, etc. I dont care who it is, you give me a client and I will make damn sure he or she reaches their goals. I took a 9 year old bench warmer and turned him into a starting halfback and inside linebacker in a year who won Offensive Back MVP and Overall MVP and whom nearly rushed for 1000 yards. I took a 43 year old man with terrible spinal arthritis and have his back and legs stronger and more pain free than they have ever been. I took a 35 year old who never did a barbell squat and have him sinking 275 now in 2 months training.

Like I said...it aint rocket science, but some just want to train without putting the time in to learn anatomy and physiology. So they come to me. And we reach goals.

An example. I think many people would say Louie Simmons would make an acceptable coach or trainer if you wanted to learn to do the Power Lifts better or just plain get stronger. But he isn’t qualified to train “me” with the goals I have currently. How do I know this – is it because I am smarter than he is, not hardly? I know this because Louie himself told me he has no idea how to train someone who wants to be a better rock climber. He and I talked at length and he could help me in many ways (and he did) but not my primary goal.

My point is that I have never met a trainer who is an expert in all areas of training or all sporting activities. Pick the correct one for what you want from your workouts and realize that getting bigger and stronger is not the answer to all questions – it’s often just a piece of the puzzle. If I wanted a deadlift coach I would trust Rick anytime to train me for it (and I already have, he stopped over and worked with me a few years ago and straightened out a few issues I had) – he would not be my choice for my technical rock climbing and my Alpine Climbing training. So my point is that all trainers are not equal in their knowledge depending on where you want your training to take you. I wouldn’t ask Louie (or Rick) to train me for a Triathlon either – horses for courses as they say.

• Like 1

Thats too bad Chris. Despite being a "meathead" who only knows how to deadlift, I have successfully trained:

-basketball players

-triple and high jumpers

-throwers

-baseball players

-football players

-scuba divers

-dancers (ballet, point, jazz, etc.)

-golfers

-runners

-ultrarunners

-swimmers

-powerlifters

-people fresh off of stomach surgery weighing 450 pounds

-diabetics

-heart attack and stroke survivers

-disabled individuals

-elderly individuals

-weight loss

-volleyball players

-general fitness

And despite all of those clients I never hurt one of them! I am currently helping my 81 year old father overcome terrible sciatic pain.

EDUCATION and reading and digesting everything I can find on training is key. Studying the physiology of the human body and never thinking I know it all. I obsess over it.

Thats too bad Chris. Despite being a "meathead" who only knows how to deadlift, I have successfully trained:

-basketball players

-triple and high jumpers

-throwers

-baseball players

-football players

-scuba divers

-golfers

-runners

-ultrarunners

-swimmers

-powerlifters

-diabetics

-disabled individuals

-elderly individuals

-weight loss

-volleyball players

-general fitness

And despite all of those clients I never hurt one of them! I am currently helping my 81 year old father overcome terrible sciatic pain.

EDUCATION and reading and digesting everything I can find on training is key. Studying the physiology of the human body and never thinking I know it all. I obsess over it.

Good on you - keep up the good work.

The problem I see all the time is that most people are training with what might be called "peaking" programs constantly - or 12 weeks to a stronger whatever view of training - even starting out. They do no base work (most people don't even know the "why" behind doing this part) - never work on increasing mitochondrial density or capillarity (or have a clue how to accomplish this) - never "set the stage" for long term progression or injury prevention. Beginners want to do the most advanced programming long before they are ready - which is a terrible plan if one wishes to be in the game for the long haul - like decades. In the beginning you ARE a beginner and there are certain things that should be done at that time - but who ever does that? This - in my opinion - is why people don't last in this (or other) strength sports - or most endeavors really. The "instant gratification" approach will only take you so far.

I will say I agree with this 100%. This is the very reason my sons will never be powerlifters but will only dip their toes in the pool from time to time. Casey is already about 15 pounds stronger in all lifts despite being back to distance running 3 times a week and doing speed, agility, balance, and flexibility on his off days from the weight room. They wont end up stiff and broke up like their old man. They will be athletes!! I will say that jumping rope and the agility ladder have been helping this old powerlifter regain some athletic ability....

-basketball players

-triple and high jumpers

-throwers

-baseball players

-football players

-scuba divers

-golfers

-runners

-ultrarunners

-swimmers

-powerlifters

-diabetics

-disabled individuals

-elderly individuals

-weight loss

-volleyball players

-general fitness

And the program was always the same: shut up and squat :) JK

• Like 1

Not training your legs is like putting 900 horses in your muscle car and then running it on the rims. Makes no sense and is pointless!

• Like 1