Racing Towards The Red Nail, Who Will Be First?

Jared Goguen

Work within your limits, and your limits will expand. Push your limits constantly and regression will be your unfortunate road. - Frankie Faires (adapted).

This concept will be no more clearly elucidated to you then in the most inherently severely distressful pursuit of steelbending.

Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved by bending. - Bender Bending Rodriguez.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

Work within your limits, and your limits will expand. Push your limits constantly and regression will be your unfortunate road. - Frankie Faires (adapted).

This concept will be no more clearly elucidated to you then in the most inherently severely distressful pursuit of steelbending.

Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved by bending. - Bender Bending Rodriguez.

That was truly beautiful...and helpful advice. Thanks!

• Like 1

No video of the bend, but I murdered an 'I' x 7" in tonight's workout. Photo of the whole graveyard is attached.

2x Gs, 1x H, 2x Is (new) and 1 terrible old I size. I can only assume that piece has been a little work hardened from the 2 previous attempts on it, because it will not budge. Who cares though, I got those other 2 down.

I'll shoot my next attempt on an 'I' size later this week.

post-23730-0-83661200-1421118113_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I wanted to throw my name into the mix as well here. Although I'm not racing anyone, I'm training to cert the red nail. So far my PR is an L in single imp's in about a minute. Going to be trying an M next week at some point.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I wanted to throw my name into the mix as well here. Although I'm not racing anyone, I'm training to cert the red nail. So far my PR is an L in single imp's in about a minute. Going to be trying an M next week at some point.

That's awesome man.

I have been on a long bending break to let my palm heal up but ill get back to it soon.

• Like 1

That's awesome, I look forward to seeing the progress.

I've got about another 2 weeks break planned before I'm willing to give bending another shot. I've got a few pieces of O1 between I and 5/16" waiting to be cut for when I get to your level. At least a few months left before that, I think.

• Like 1

That's awesome man.

I have been on a long bending break to let my palm heal up but ill get back to it soon.

Thanks! Yeah man, don't rush it. When you feel healthy the steel will still be there, waiting.

You seem very close to a red anthony! probably be able to do more damage to a red than me.

Thank you Josh! I doubt it, you are a very good bender and have already moved calibrated steel at over 400 lbs!

That's awesome, I look forward to seeing the progress.

I've got about another 2 weeks break planned before I'm willing to give bending another shot. I've got a few pieces of O1 between I and 5/16" waiting to be cut for when I get to your level. At least a few months left before that, I think.

Thanks man. You'll get it for sure. Really hit the flexibility hard, as I've found that to be half the battle when it comes to bending.

• Like 1

Post some videos. I'm sure there is something we could tweak so you can generate more power.

Post some videos. I'm sure there is something we could tweak so you can generate more power.

Hey ej, I would love that. I have been posting some bids in my journal. Here is my L bend

L Drill rod bent in singles: http://youtu.be/GPUX8TCLXPo

• Like 1

Awesome! Train smart and consistent and you will get there.

• Like 1

Anthony:

First hit looked pretty good. If you could figure out how to engage your back more you wouldn't rely on your hands and wrists so much. But all that will come with time and more steel. The next few hits, the sweep can be tweaked. Keep your chin pinned to your chest, keep your head down. Watch the video and see what I mean. You put your head back, opening your chest up and losing A LOT of power and momentum. When you keep your head down you are tensing up the muscles in your chest and back. They "coil" up and release into the steal. Just work on those things for now. Don't worry about the crush. Just kink and sweep.

• Like 1

Anthony:

First hit looked pretty good. If you could figure out how to engage your back more you wouldn't rely on your hands and wrists so much. But all that will come with time and more steel. The next few hits, the sweep can be tweaked. Keep your chin pinned to your chest, keep your head down. Watch the video and see what I mean. You put your head back, opening your chest up and losing A LOT of power and momentum. When you keep your head down you are tensing up the muscles in your chest and back. They "coil" up and release into the steal. Just work on those things for now. Don't worry about the crush. Just kink and sweep.

Thank you for the tips! I hadn't even realized I was doing all those things. I do agree that I'm using too much hands and wrist, so hopefully this advice helps. Thank you EJ!

I have been having one bad bending session after the next which is rather disappointing. I feel like I was making some good progress and now I have slid back some even.

That's what happened to me when I picked it up a few years back. I went about everything in the stupidest way possible though.

Went to a local steel mill and bought 10' sections of 1/4' and 5/16" CRS, cut them into smaller pieces, wrapped them in canvas, and just muscled through them like a damned barbarian. No consideration of conditioning, warming up, or technique. It was fun for a bit, then the damage set in. Got to the point where I couldn't even budge 1/4"x7" CRS. The tendon in my thumb webbing on both hands hurt constantly for well over a year.

Oh i forgot, stretch your shoulders ala pullover, itll help with your kink, youre losin some umff in your kink cuz youre stiff, you are much stronger than me but my kink is good cuz i got flexy shoulders lol

Oh i forgot, stretch your shoulders ala pullover, itll help with your kink, youre losin some umff in your kink cuz youre stiff, you are much stronger than me but my kink is good cuz i got flexy shoulders lol

Jose, im gonna text you about this lol

Morning gents, hit another PR today. M Drill rod in single IMP's. I got so caught up in the moment that I didn't take the wraps off on video, hopefully my GB credibility is enough for you to believe that they were single pads lol

Damn, brother, strong stuff. Way to keep at it, that looked like it really drained ya.

Also, this is the best song choice for a bending vid I have ever heard. A+

• Like 1

Damn, brother, strong stuff. Way to keep at it, that looked like it really drained ya.

Also, this is the best song choice for a bending vid I have ever heard. A+

Thanks man! This was damn harder than the L. I would definitely say it was a max attempt today. And yes, I friggin love that song haha.