Barbells And Bending

IJames87

Ill be keeping a log on this site of my training to keep me in check from now on.

My main focus will be on heavy barbell training and bending.

Yesterday - volume bending training

4 60Ds

2 1/4 grade 5s

2 5/16 grade2s

4 more 60Ds for a cooldown

This session started horrible but I realized that my tech was off slightly and whenn I fixed it the metal started melting.

• Like 1

Nice volume work. Im curious to see what goals you will come up with. I know you said bastard, but is the red on the list?

Edited by EJ Livesey

Thanks for checking in EJ. The red is on the agenda for the future but right now im looking at the bastard certs and for the long term a big G5. Pretty sure I can already bend a red in single sueds, but them damn IMPs suck :grin:.

5-9-2014

One handed deadlifts

warmup - 135X2, 185X2, 225X1

Work sets - 285X1X4

Standing military press

warmup - BarX10, 95X8

Work sets - 135X6X4

Plate Curls

8 sets of singles with 25lb plate

Band Pull a parts

3 sets of 15

Today for some reason my right hand was weaker than my left, weird.

Also on another note I found out that there is a Fastenal pretty much right down the street from me. time to stock up on some steel :)

5-11-14

5 60Ds

2 G5s

3 sets of isos on an edgin

Week workout i know but im running out of stock. Im headed to fastenal tomorrow to pick up some 5/16 01 and some G8s.

5-12-14

Ok wasnt suppose to bend for another three days but i got some new stock and had to try it.

Warmed up with a 60D

Grade 8 in doubles

5/16 o1 drill rod in doubles to a little past 90 degrees

I know i shouldnt be using doubles on such little stock but i always like to try out new steel with big wraps to see if my strength is there.

Going to rest from bending for 3 days now to heal up and then ill hit it hard again.

Edited by IJames87

5-12-14

Ok wasnt suppose to bend for another three days but i got some new stock and had to try it.

Warmed up with a 60D

Grade 8 in doubles

5/16 o1 drill rod in doubles to a little past 90 degrees

I know i shouldnt be using doubles on such little stock but i always like to try out new steel with big wraps to see if my strength is there.

Going to rest from bending for 3 days now to heal up and then ill hit it hard again.

Nothing wrong with using doubles to test yourself man. I was a big fan of using doubles and it (for me) had a big carryover to any pads I used. Of course you've got to build the pain tolerance with the IMPs. But there's no reason to build up pain tolerance if you aren't even able to bend something with double pads. This is not referring to you, by the way.

That 5/16": Drill Rod (O-1, I would guess since it's from Fastenal) is strong stuff! Bent hundreds of yards of that in my heyday.

Thanks for the encouragment ben. That was the first time i tried 01 and it kicked my butt probably took me 5 min to get it to 90

Too much beer coupled with armwrestling with friends equal really sore arms. Gonna rest until sunday probably.

Ok great workout today. Arms are back to mormal.

2 60ds

1 G5

1 7x1/4 square

Some plate pinches (2 hand holds with 2 45s)

Light gripper work

Plate curls 25 pounder

5-22-14

1 1/4x6 G5

1 1/4x7 square

Some iso crushes (about 4 good hits) on on some 5/16 O1

quick workout had to be up early for a 16 hour shift.

5-23-14

Fat grip Pull ups supersetted with some grippers (coc 1 and HG250) 7 sets - 3 reps

sledge levering - front, back, side 2 sets each way 8 reps

Band pull a parts X 50

Heres the first G5 on camera i did. im going to start keeping a video record of my milestone bends. First time recording so the video sucked and i didnt show the bolt. Next video will be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4bzFkWoGfc

Technique looks pretty solid. Good kink position. Definitely get used to showing the bar and wraps on video. If you ever want to cert for FBBC or David Horne, you'll want a good process down. If your goal is the Red, put away the 6" stock and only work 7" steel. Have you tried the gripper crush? For me that made a big difference in killing bigger steel.

After i get a G8 on video 7 inch stock it is brother and no i havent tried the gripper crush will definately try it out next time. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Nice job James! Once you get the g8 the red nail will be right there.

After i get a G8 on video 7 inch stock it is brother and no i havent tried the gripper crush will definately try it out next time. Thanks for the advice.

Dude, you've been busy. And your progress is going very well. A word of advice on the gripper crush.... Make sure your wrist are straight and everything lines up. If your post hand is bent, you can injure yourself. Next your ring finger is where you want your edge of the leg. I have crushed stuff so stout my ring finger nail has bruised and turned black from me crushing it. But it work wonders for crushing things down.

Bro, post the bending videos in the bending section. I almost missed this g5. Cross post these videos. Show the benders what you're doing.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement ej your one of the guys i really look up too.

Quick update

5-27-14

2 grade 8s

3 5/16thX7 CRS

5-30-14

Weighted dips - bodyweight x 10, 35lb x 8, 45lbx8, 60lbx6

Cable High rows 3x8

Cable curls 3x8

Gripper crushes 4x12 (HG 250). Need a bigger gripper.

5-31-14

4 5/16X7 CRS

Kinked each one to 90 degrees waited for them to cool then crushed them.