New Guy

Guest Christian Thibaudeau

Or if you can't get your fingers around the gripper. That is another good reason to set it.

Yeah, but I haven't seen anybody who couldn't no set close a weak gripper, so I am a little sceptical of that excuse. I would rather see someone no-set close a #3 with a narrower handle spread. I think you would have to have exraordinarily small hands not to be able to no set close a typical IM gripper.

Edited by RSW

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RSW

• Bill Piche

• Tom of Iowa2

• tmmicklabs

Hey Christian !

Maybe you remember me ...

I was the guy who got certified on the #3, with Pat Lemieux, by Gerry Rochon. I was amazed by Pat's strength on the grippers, especially after he squeezed my #4. Is he still training for it ?

Pat and me will be in the next MILO, along with many of this board's members.

Hey Christian !

Maybe you remember me ...

I was the guy who got certified on the #3, with Pat Lemieux, by Gerry Rochon. I was amazed by Pat's strength on the grippers, especially after he squeezed my #4. Is he still training for it ?

Pat and me will be in the next MILO, along with many of this board's members.

Actually I still have some pics of you closing the no.3 on my computer along with a pic of you an Pat. I'm sending them to Bill as we speak.

've been referred to your board by "Wannagrip" after I demonstrated seemingly bad technique with the Ironmind gripper in my recent article published in T-mag.com.

I don't see poor technique, I see you demonstrating a strict no-set close, which is probably the best way to develop strength when training with the grippers. The only reason to set is to make the close easier. IMHO the only reason to set a gripper is if you are closing a BBSE, #4 or above.

Great article, BTW.

Robert

Even if it was a no-set, there are problems with the placement. AND, as Bob pointed out, if you have a small hand you pretty much are stuck doing a set. I have a friend in the same boat. He has to set to get his fingers around the gripper to start the close!

BTW, Pat is still training hard but he is now focusing on his strongman training. He was supposed to compete in Ohio at the end of the month, but he is too busy at the moment and Dominic Fillioux who was supposed to make the trip with him could not make it either.

He will do 1-2 competitions this summer. He is still doing a lot of grip work, mostly with the Rolling Thunder, Hercules hold and farmer's walk (he goes up to 300lbs per hand for a good distance).

Our gym has a lot of high strongman equipment since Pat's father orgazine a lot of competitions. I'll take a few pics of him in training next week.

BTW, I was really impressed by the thickness of your forearms when I saw you and what impressed me even more was your grip strength despite average size hands.

Keep up the good work!

Or if you can't get your fingers around the gripper. That is another good reason to set it.

Yeah, but I haven't seen anybody who couldn't no set close a weak gripper, so I am a little sceptical of that excuse. I would rather see someone no-set close a #3 with a narrower handle spread. I think you would have to have exraordinarily small hands not to be able to no set close a typical IM gripper.

It's not an excuse. And, before you go acting like the tough guy with respect to gripper placement...

When are you going to be certified?

I think you would have to have exraordinarily small hands not to be able to no set close a typical IM gripper.

By the way, my friend can't even get his pinky around the gripper handle at all without setting. So, his no-set would have to be with 3 fingers by default.

I tend to see a common occurrence of this. Many people who aren't certified see setting a gripper as cheating and believe it shouldn't be allowed. You don't see too many certified guys whining about this.

Tou's hands are so small-I bet a no set close for him would be 2 fingers! Heck-my hands are 3/4 bigger than his and my pinky is off the gripper on a no set close.

Give me a break.

Rick Walker :rock

Chris

I think that what Pavel Tsatsouline suggests is not simple to apply to grip training.

I tried it and it is very diffficult to find the strength to close the #3 4 or 5 times during the day, you have to warm up every time and you have to focus on it very hard especially the first times you are able to close it.

Eventually you can burnout.

On certain days I can close #3 like it were a toy, on other days, when I'm too tired or I can't focus on it, I'm 1/2 inch away from closing it.

I think grip training is quite different from the training of other bigger muscles of the body, due to the great role of tendons and ligaments.

Simone

The set seems to be the key for people with hands less than 8 inches.

Although?with 7 3/4inch hands i can easily close a number #2??So perhaps a no set on the 3 could happen some day?

And IF I had access to a decent computer I would definitely get KTA.The amount of people reporting success has been astounding and not all of them are genetically gifted freaks either.....

Leads to a question?How many(if any)with lands LESS than 8 inches have no set closed a #3.

i have observed -in person-one person no set close a #3 and another person no set(first try)almost close a #3..both had slightly larger than 8 inch hands.

Guest GregH

Christian,

Buy it. The video clips which demonstrate the "setting" technique described in the text is worth the price of admission.

Edited by GregH

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Christian,

You ask about holding strength. My thougths would be use your #2 gripper to to stap holds ( hold a thin strap between the handels with a weight hooked to it ) and of coarse thick bar work.

Bob Lipinski sent this in. He's attempting a no set with a BBE.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/GripGallery/ach

Guest Chris Mellen

:rock Whoa, it's Chris T.! :bow

Concerning the posts above, a no set close for me (I can only do it with the trainer) has my index and middle finger on the gripper, and a little bit of my ring finger. (My hands are barely over 7 inches.)

But anyway, there is certainly an all-star cast gathering on this board! :rock

--Chris

It's not an excuse. And, before you go acting like the tough guy with respect to gripper placement...

When are you going to be certified?

As soon as I can no-set close a #3. Maybe in 2004 sometime? Currently, I can barely do a no-set close with a #2. I do find it a lot easier with a set, but I look at a close with a set as a partial ROM exercise.

I think we had a poll a while back and most Coc's could do a no-set close with a #2, so I think it is more a strength issue than anything else.

To 'set' the gripper in our terms, is to get into the

starting position.

If I am expected to chin from a bar four feet beyond my reach, then allow me to climb a ladder to get set- don't tell me I am cheating when I cannot grasp the implement I am to be tested on!

If people use two hands to get 'set' on the Inch bell, then remove one hand BEFORE the attempt itself starts, no problem.

To not allow a set for a shorter handed person is requiring them to use fewer fingers at the start.

Certification should be based on closing, not setting.

I suppose I shall have to start "moaning" about this again then....

A "set" on a gripper is like a Fairbar (as long as your set is not closer than the limits set ny Strossen) - Mmm.....

tend to see a common occurrence of this. Many people who aren't certified see setting a gripper as cheating and believe it shouldn't be allowed. You don't see too many certified guys whining about this.

I imagine that is because most (well, at least a large portion of those who have certified cannot "no-set" close a #3. Not debating whether setting is cheating here (it is within the rules as laid out by Ironmind, so it cannot be), but if you have to set a #3 to close it and have bothered to get certified you are not going to "moan" about it, are you??

To not allow a set for a shorter handed person is requiring them to use fewer fingers at the start.

I can't use my pinky at the start of a no-set close of my #2. I don't start using it until the handles are almost parallel. Realize that the initial sweep doesn't take much force, and can be accomplished with two or three fingers on the gripper. I don't know of any Coc's that can't no-set close at least the #1. Therefore, it is a strength issue.

Joe,

I am surprised you are so liberal in your interpretation of a gripper close, after you were so hard on Mobster as to what constitutes a lift of the Millenium dumbell.

RSW,

I see your point(and also understand where others are comeing from,i.e.Rules are the rules) and -at this time- I am still looking for confirmation. :cool

??Has it been done:no set close of a #3 in hands LESS than

8 inche?

I have seen a no set close of a #3...actually reps on a #3 with no set.And a near miss off a #3-no set.

Both hands were a smidge over 8 inches though.

IF a no set #3 has NOT been done with a smaller hand ??then it would appear to be quite an accomplishment? :rock

I also think those lifting the INCH and very heavy Rolling Thunders wil hands less than 8 1/4"is quite an accomplishment. ;)

Tom,

Who has managed a no-set close of a #3? I am pretty sure Terminator and Heath have. Is there anyone making a serious run at the #4 who can't do a no-set close of a #3? I am sure some of these guys must have average hands.

Robert

I think when we were going through a 'hand length'thread i remember that Heaths were 8 1/2" or 8 1/4??I do not recall what terminators were or if he mentioned it.

I was thinking more along the line of David Horn.His ARE 7 3/4 but i don't know if he does a 'no set'#3close.

(IF? you are asking who do I know who has done a no set with a #3 it is Josh Bigger-that was a first touch,no set close of Animal Cages #3 and of course he has closed my #3 for reps.His Uncle almost closed my #3-very close...but again their hands are a smidge over 8")

Tom,

How do I measure hand length? Is it from the end of the middle finger to the first crease on the wrist? I am asking because, although I am 6'4" tall, I am sure I have average sized hands ;)

Thanks,

Robert

I've done no-set closes both lefty and righty. I can't do it all the time, nor do I practice it much lately because of the potential of injury to the knuckles. I've popped a few knuckles when a no-set has slipped off my fingertips. My hands are between 7-1/4 and 7-3/8.

I think a no-set close shows that you own a particular gripper more, yet I also agree with Roark that it can sometimes be "unfair" to the smaller handed guys. A #1 or #2's initial sweep can be much more easily overcome by just the tips of a few fingers than can the sweep of a typical #3. I think the set is important, because it gets the gripper fixed in your hand and allows you to demonstrate the crushing strength of your entire hand, whereas the no-set is largely fingertip strength coupled with technique (unless you have monster hands). Would I care if they revised the rules to eliminate the set, heck no it would be nice to be there with just a few guys....

They don't make people do pullups starting with the tips of a couple fingers touching the bar, do they?