Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

You've come a long way on this program.

I started squatting again so I can catch up. And I got my gf to start squatting too. Win.

• Like 1

You've come a long way on this program.

I started squatting again so I can catch up. And I got my gf to start squatting too. Win.

Thanks man!

Hell yeah bro, just keep at em and you'll be squatting 2xBW in no time

7/10/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x3-107.5lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-160lbs

Paused Close Grip Incline Bench: 3x5-97.5lbs

Pull ups- 2x6-BW

1x5-BW(went for the sixth, failed)

Great workout. Continentals felt the best they have yet, I had much more speed. Bench felt great too. Front squats felt ok as well.

With that said from this point on i'm going to be increasing all squats by 2.5lbs each workout instead of 5. Over the last 3 months both my 3x5 squats have increased 90lbs, along with 20lbs of bodyweight. That is probably the bulk of my noob gains so i'm gonna slow down the squat progression a little, I can tell I won't be able to keep 5lbs up much longer. I'm not changing to texas method until my deadlift stalls though, so shooting for 315x5 before that, we'll see.

7/12/2014

Squat: 3x5-182.5lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-95lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-237.5lbs(forgot to add the other 2.5lb plate, nice)

Dips: 1x5-BW

2x8-BW+15lbs

1x6-BW+15lbs

My dips seemed to have really stalled, I don't know whats going on, the first 2 sets weren't that hard. Since I added in the close grip bench and keeping them at 3x5, i'm gonna to do dips a little different. I'm going to get 3x8,3x9,3x10,3x11, and 3x12 on a weight then add 2.5lbs and start over at 3x8. Its a much kinder progression and I feel the higher reps along with close grip bench will be a real good combo for my triceps. Planned on starting that today but missed reps, oh well i'll just start at 12.5lbs.

Besides that it was a real good workout,squats were good and OHP felt easy.

7/16/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x3-110lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-162.5lbs

Paused Close Grip Incline Bench: 3x5-100lbs

Pull ups- 2x6-BW

1x4-BW

Missed my workout yesterday so I did it today, guess i'm going back to a M,W,F workout schedule.

I also did grippers today and got 4 singles on my #2.5 witch was good.

7/18/2014

Squat: 3x5-185lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-97.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-240lbs

Dips: 1x5-BW

3x8-BW+12.5lbs

Got a 6lb sledge hammer today, its time I start giving my wrist some love. I'm also going to start logging all my grip related workouts. I'm doing grippers and trying out the hammer later today

7/19/2014

Grippers-

RH:

5/8 BBSM(120lb)-1x1

COC #2.5(127lb)-5x1, 1x0(very close,finished off)

5/8 BBSM(120lb)-1x0(very close,finished off)

COC #2(109lb)-1x5

LH:

Choked GHP 5(112lb)-6x1, 1x0(close, finished off)

COC #1.5(89lb)-1x3

6lb Sledge Hammer

Front Lever Deadlift(18")-3x5

Rear Lever Deadlift(16")-3x5

Only logging work sets.

My hands are SMOKED. Going to do wrist work after grippers from now on. Next grip workout i'm going to do side to side levering and wrist curls. For now I think i'm gonna stick with the sledge deadlifts until I can hold the hammer at the end because the dynamic movements felt kinda awkward. Also the inches next to the hammer exercises are how far away my hands were from the bottom of the hammer

• Like 1

Nice one, don't forget those thumbs either!

Thanks for looking out man, but you don't think I've been forgetting about the two turkey legs at the bottom of my hands, do you? ;)

• Like 1

7/21/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x3-112.5lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-165lbs

Paused Close Grip Incline Bench: 3x5-102.5lbs

Pull ups- 3x5-BW+5lbs

Great workout. Finally Back to where i was before I hurt my elbow, but i'm definitely (a little) stronger now than then. Feels good to be back in the swing of things. When I first did 165 on front squat I remember it being VERY hard, it was much better today. Everything else felt good too.

So the other day I asked on another log for pull up advice and got; 1)heavy negatives, and 2) twice a week, one weighted session and one unweighted, from two different people. I'm going to take both advices, so every other week i do pull-ups twice, weighted and BW, and every other week I do heavy negs for one session. Hope this works

• Like 1

Hope your pull up power sky rockets!

At my best, I was doing sets of 5 with half BW added.

Still have yet to reach 100 lbs weighted for a single though.

• Like 1

7/21/2014

Grippers-

RH:

COC #2.5(127lb)-1x1

GHP 6(132lbs)-1x0(Very close, finished off), 1x0

COC #2.5(127lbs)-3x1

5/8 Hybrid SM(120lb)- 1x1,1x0

COC #2(109lb)-1x3

LH:

Choked(20mm) GHP 5(112lb)-5x1, 1x0(close, finished off)

COC #1.5(89lb)-1x2

6lb Sledge Hammer-

Side-to-side(16"): 3x5

Wrist curls: 3x15- 20lbs

I got REALLY close to closing my Ghp 6 today, I went a little too wide on the set and the gripper slid back in my palm. Took one more attempt but it wasn't very good. Oh well, i got 3 full days of rest (from direct lower arm work anyway) so I have a good feeling its gonna go down next time. Gonna do some cuban rotations when i get off of work, been reading allot about shoulder health and I feel they could be beneficial seeing as I do no external rotation work.

Edited by dlewis8589

Hell yeah! That's pure progress, that's what that is. Based on that video, I'd say you have the strength to close the 6 already, but need to work on setting it more controlled. The ghp 6 was my everest for a very long time and closing it felt so damn good. Keep up the great work bro!

• Like 1

Hell yeah! That's pure progress, that's what that is. Based on that video, I'd say you have the strength to close the 6 already, but need to work on setting it more controlled. The ghp 6 was my everest for a very long time and closing it felt so damn good. Keep up the great work bro!

Thanks allot Anthony, that really means a lot. I think if it was any other 132 gripper I would have closed it no problem, but those ghp's are real tough to set. But thats what makes the 6 such a good bridge to the 3

7/23/2014

Squat: 3x5-187.5lbs

Overhead Press: 2x5-100lbs

1x5-95lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-245lbs

Fixed squat weight

Keep up the good work! Great and fast progress!

Jüri

Thanks man I appreciate it! How your 2.5 coming along?

How your 2.5 coming along?

Thanks for asking!

Pretty good. Started choking it from 10mm (+2mm every workout) and now im on 20mm, closed 4 single reps with each hand. My righ hand and off hand are in same spot. Now taking a little rest, a little pain in right hand.

Jüri

7/26/2014

Grippers-

RH:

COC #2.5(127lb)-1x1

GHP 6(132lbs)-2x0(Very close, finished off), 2x0

COC #2.5(127lbs)-1x0(close, finished off)

5/8 Hybrid SM(120lb)- 3x1,1x0

COC #2(109lb)-1x5/1x0(close, finished off)

LH:

Choked(20mm) GHP 5(112lb)-6x1, 1x0(close, finished off)

COC #1.5(89lb)-1x5

Reverse Wrist curls: 1x15- 15lbs

2x12- 15lbs

David Horne Thumbscrew 2-thumb close: COC #1.5(89lbs)-1x5

COC #1-1x8

COC #T-3x20/1x15 Wide Range Closes

Extensors: Flex Ex bands, Blue&Red-3x30

Wrist didn't feel great so I didn't do the hammer

7/25/2014

Continental Clean(not axle): 5x3-115lbs

Front Squat: 3x3-170lbs

Paused Close Grip Incline Bench: 2x5-110lbs

Pull ups- 3x5-BW+5lbs

1x3-BW+5lbs/1x2-BW

Hey, wanted to ask that how wide the starting gap is on grippers when you do them (are these wide range closes or)?

Thanks in advance!

J.