My Euro Building Journey

Broly

Thanks Tom! Chez pointed this out also, I feel pretty dumb for not realizing, haha. Now its a tight fit!

The spin lock collars are great but to get a tighter fit, I used clamps and home made rubber washers from the rubber I had left when i put the collars on for a good fit.

Brian try turning the collars around so the part that spins is against plates, then I think you can spin the collars to make it tighter.

Finally finshed! Weighs about 54lbs

Very nice! Talking to my local metal supplier tomorrow to have the disks made. Just making sure, they are 1/4" thick and 15 3/4" in diameter.

I ordered them from newegg.com here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10H09Y7255

Best price I could find. From the thread it looked like you were able to get it for so much cheaper then but the pirce with shipping for a 6mm and 9.5mm roll was almost 100 bucks from sears.

Having only a 6mm roll will only allow for 6mm increments but it saves the wallet a bit.

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Any advice for cutting the rubber, especially the center hole. There was a thread on making the 2hp but I can't find it anymore

I traced the outline of the plates on the rubber including the center hole. Then I just cut along the line with a pair of scissors, since my rubber mat was 6mm, it wasn't too tough. For the center hole I used a 2" hole saw bit, that made it easy, one like this: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-3-4-in-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-49-56-9666/202327736/

You'll definitely want to use tin snips for the discs and then a box cutter or razor blade for the inner circles. It's a pain in the ass to try and do the entire disc with just a razor blade. The tin snips feel nice and cut good, especially if you get straight line tin snips. Take your time when cutting though. Mines came out OK but it could've been even better if I was patient!

You didn't decide to try a box cutter? Could have been quicker than the siccors.

I definitely think a box cutter would have been good, unfortunately I didn't have one and of course as soon as they came in I had to get it together right away lol.

I have used a Router and setup one of the metal discs as a template in the past for cutting the rubber discs. Makes a hell of a mess but perfectly clean edge if you are careful and have lots of clamps plus some skill with a router.

i used a utility knife dipped in dish soap. worked well enough that I don't think I would bother with anything more complicated.

Thanks, got the disks and rubber and I am getting ready to cut. Will postt some pictures hopefully tonight of the finished product and get my first training session in tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my plates yesterday, just ordered 2 rubber tiles each 20mm thick, so I have 40mm rubberplates and 12mm for the two discs. That makes a good start

of 52mm total pinchwidth. Rubber plates were 13 Euro incl. shipping (inside Netherlands) so that's about $ 18,- . When I need thicker pinching widths, I'll look around for some more rubber. The plates I ordered are 50 x 50 cm (19,68 inch x 19x68 inch) so I can easy cut out circles from these. Need to wait till after christmas however, hope they arrive Saturday. Also I need to make a collar to convert the 50mm hole to a 30mm hole. I will have a 30 inch loading pin going through with the collar being around 10 inch in length. the collar will also act as a spacer between the pinch plates and the weights. That's the plan for now.

Brian, I got my Eric Milfeld Euro today.

I tried maxing and we're at a similar level. Should start a contest again.

I'm game, what's your current max and what width are you using?

Yori, that's pretty damn impressive, especially with your weight! I can go from 48mm to 54mm to 60mm and have been playing with these three widths the last few sessions. I'm still struggling with getting my hands comfortable but I'm lifted the most on the 54mm thickness so far. I am going to stick with 54mm moving forward and keep practicing. I need to really stop going for MAX attempts for now and just work on my technique until it feels solid then start going for max again. My two immediate goals for the Euro are 180lbs and 200lbs. I'll race you to 180!

Guest Squat More

If you wanna get good on the Euro, high frequency training is the key IMO. 2-3 sessions a week, reps, holds, don't max out for at least 3 weeks and keep an eye on your volume, vary it in between sessions.