My Euro Building Journey

Broly

What's up guys, been wanting a Euro for a while and after the Int King Kong Grip Comp I decided I shouldn't delay and get on board. The thread on here was a great start to point me in the right direction and have already ordered the discs and rubber. I will posts pics on the progress.

So far I've ordered the Euro Discs from David Horne. A little bit more than just getting them made here in the US but was worth it as the discs were already in stock ready to ship. It's also nice to know they're coming from the man who invented the thing so I'll never worry about it not being official.

Ordered the same rubber as most of the guys here, Rubber-Cal elephant bark recycled rubber. Instead of getting a 6mm and 9.5mm roll I opted for a larger 6mm roll so the cost would be a bit cheaper. The price for these rolls have gone up significantly since the Euro thread so for now I could only get the 6mm. I opted for a 4' x 4' 6mm roll instead of a 4' x 3' roll as I'll be able to make 9 discs with just the 6mm.

At the comp I pulled on 48mm but it was too small. The next increment up with my setup will be 54mm which should be a decent sweet spot. If I ever want more variety than 6mm jumps I will eventually buy a 9.5mm roll.

Most likely getting the recommended spin lock collars and will take a trip to Home Depot for the piping. I have a home made axel which worked great with their black piping so I'll just use the same thing if it's still reasonably priced.

To hold the weights on their I'll probably just use pony clamps till I get something better. I use pony clamps for the Axel and it works ok. Anyway, I'll post some pics once I get the stuff in.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to make one also. Do you have a link to where you ordered the rubber from?

I ordered them from newegg.com here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10H09Y7255

Best price I could find. From the thread it looked like you were able to get it for so much cheaper then but the pirce with shipping for a 6mm and 9.5mm roll was almost 100 bucks from sears.

Having only a 6mm roll will only allow for 6mm increments but it saves the wallet a bit.

• Like 1

Most of us use collars from Play it Again Sports on the outside. I think I paid a couple bucks a pair for them. A silver ring with a bolt thru it with a sliding handle kind of thing. Cheap and works just fine.

• Like 1

I used a $5 plumbing coupling for collars. basically a thick rubber coupling with a hose clamp on each side and I just cut it in half in the middle.

I was thinking that as well for the collars being as how I'm getting the Pipe from there, they would definitely have some sort of lock or collar for the pipes which would be suitable.

What are you guys using for the weights? Pony Clamps? Lock Jaw collars? I kind of wanted the lock jaw ones because they're nice and quick but with the piping not being a full 2", I wasn't sure if it would be secure.

As a quick side note, according to my tracking info the plates should arrive by end of day. This is pretty impressive as they were just shipped out on Wednesday. Just goes to show the quality of service you get from the World of Grip site.

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

I finished my Europinch set up today in an hour after getting my discs from David Horne in the post today. I cut plywood for my inserts since I don't have access to the rubber and trying to get it would cost me twice as much as the discs and shipping did themselves.

Some pics (let me know if they don't work)

I cut three 3/8" plywood inserts and two 1/2" inserts, with the two 1/4" discs this is more than enough for me to mess with width. When I have access to some 1/4" plywood I may cut three or four for more adjustable widths.

1385759_232184500279615_1593879520_n.jpg

1383848_232184703612928_1312653141_n.jpg

The plywood wasn't perfectly flat so I put all my spacers in the pipe between the plates and C clamped them down so the plywood can hopefully warp back
1441530_232184813612917_468746023_n.jpg

With the discs coming in at about .5" and three .375" spacers and two more .5" spacers I can go with these widths currently:

discs + three 3/8" + one .5" = 2.125"
discs + three 3/8" + two .5" = 2.625"
discs + two 3/8" + two .5 = 2.25"
discs + three 3/8" + one .5 = 1.75"

Currently 2.25" feels good, this is roughly decided by placing my hands on the implement and feeling. I am looking to try 2.125 and 2.25 tomorrow with some weight, also going to try find what feels comfortable right now for 1hp as me and John Manna are going to have tri weekly friendly competitions between each other in various events, based on the honor system (that we don't lie about lifts) to push each others training.

Already took a file and some sandpaper to the edges I plan to use, so they aren't sharp. Didn't go overboard just rounded the edges a tad. Now I am going to use Aaron C's advice and mix some water, bleach and vinegar to apply to the discs to season them up a tiny bit so they can hold some chalk. Hopefully I am able to use this thing tomorrow and get a few pulls on it.

I used some 2" fence post pipe for my middle and some 2" FBBC squeezer collars along with some PVC pipe over as outside spacers to leave a decent bit of space between the discs and the plates since the FBBC collars are pretty narrow.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 3

Got the plates in yesterday, filed the edges a bit and started seasoning them outside while I wait for the rest of the pieces to come in

Guest Squat More

Can't edit the mistake I made in my original post

discs + three 3/8" + one .5" = 2.125"
discs + three 3/8" + two .5" = 2.625"
discs + two 3/8" + two .5 = 2.25"
discs + two 3/8" + one .5 = 1.75"

From the 4' x 4' rubber I cut out 7 6mm discs to make the Euro total width - 54mm. I still have 2 6mm discs left I can cut which I will later on to play with a wider width but 54mm felt really good. Not posting pics yet till I get the twist lock collars in. right now I"m using some temp pipe collars from Home Depot. They're very thin and not good for a permanent solution.

Cutting the rubber wasn't too bad. The inside was tricky but overall this was the right way to go. Once it's together it's not like perfectly smooth but your hands don't really make contact with the rubber and it looks great! Will be even more pumped once my collars come in and it's fully completed.

From the 4' x 4' rubber I cut out 7 6mm discs to make the Euro total width - 54mm. I still have 2 6mm discs left I can cut which I will later on to play with a wider width but 54mm felt really good. Not posting pics yet till I get the twist lock collars in. right now I"m using some temp pipe collars from Home Depot. They're very thin and not good for a permanent solution.

Cutting the rubber wasn't too bad. The inside was tricky but overall this was the right way to go. Once it's together it's not like perfectly smooth but your hands don't really make contact with the rubber and it looks great! Will be even more pumped once my collars come in and it's fully completed.

Awesome info, I ordered the discs from David Hornes site and I'm going to goes with the rubber matting you used too, it's definitely the cheapest option for rubber discs.

Twist locks should be arriving today according to the tracking. Once It's in, I'll slap them on and take some pics to show my progress. IT will be technically done but just want to clean up the rubber a bit. The plates came out great with seasoning and hold chalk well. Still feels a tad slippery but over time it will improve.

Tom can't wait to see how yours come out bud!

• Like 1

Mines seasoned up well, second session with it and I pulled 91.95 kilos, took Aaron Corcorrans advice and tried 48mm width and it feels perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1slojfoIC8

wow man already over 200lbs, huge lift. You are going to be a monster on this lift.

How much did it cost to make it for you guys? I am trying to save up for the material right now.

Guest Squat More

Well I got 42.65 kilos today at 48mm without much warmups, was bench day on the cube and wasn't planning to do anything grip related but my cousin was doing 1hp pulls and I thought... why not?

Only my second time doing 1hp with the euro as well but I seem to have good starting numbers in both two and one hand europinch. Only a matter of time before someone accuses me of having tacky on the plates, or makes a big deal out of me using plywood and not rubber or plastic for the inserts, even if these are just training lifts. :laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UCEcqcWgI

Guest Squat More

Mines seasoned up well, second session with it and I pulled 91.95 kilos, took Aaron Corcorrans advice and tried 48mm width and it feels perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1slojfoIC8

wow man already over 200lbs, huge lift. You are going to be a monster on this lift.

How much did it cost to make it for you guys? I am trying to save up for the material right now.

Thanks dude! Yeah I am really enjoying it, David Horne, Aaron C. and Martin Arildsson have all given me awesome training advice so I gotta give credit where it is due!

Well the discs from David Horne are what they cost, the collars and pipe I already had (cut the pipe from some 2" galvanized fence post that I used to use as my axle before getting a rogue axle), the plywood is 3/8" and 1/4" plywood one good side spruce both 8x4 foot sheets cost me about $60, I glued and clamped the discs together after cutting them, then sanded the edges on a belt/disc sander. So I would say for me, the cost of plywood + the cost of the discs, everything else I already had and the tools needed to cut, drill, sand etc the plywood I already had, since I am a woodshop teacher by profession and learned carpentry for my father before that.

Finally finshed! Weighs about 54lbs

Absolute thing of beauty man!!!! I would kill to get my hands on some bloody rubber mat, then my lifts could "count" someday.

Edited by Squat More

The Euro Discs I got form David Horne - $130 shipped to the US

The rubber I got from newegg.com - $50 shipped for a 4'x4' 6mm roll of rubber

The pipe I got from Home Depot - $20. Already at the length I needed.

Collars I got online - $30 shipped

Using only 1 rubber roll saved me a good amount by not having to get two different sizes. I'm limited to 6mm increments though but can go all the way up to 66mm if I'm not mistaken. Currently playing with 54mm.

The spin lock collars are great but to get a tighter fit, I used clamps and home made rubber washers from the rubber I had left when i put the collars on for a good fit.

Thanks for the information, both your guys euro look great.

Look forward to big numbers from both of you.

Squatmore-great lifts so far! I don't think it's matter that you have plywood in the 2hp, I think I've seen people use the 2hp with plastic inserts in competition, so it's the same.

Stephen-the plates from David Horne was like $130 shipped and the rubber mat from New egg was $50 exactly shipped,I had the fence post and collars laying around. I think it's worth it to have the implement to train with. My plates just came today, I'm still waiting for the rubber mat.

Brian-the set-up looks awesome!!!

The spin lock collars are great but to get a tighter fit, I used clamps and home made rubber washers from the rubber I had left when i put the collars on for a good fit.

Brian try turning the collars around so the part that spins is against plates, then I think you can spin the collars to make it tighter.