Deadlifts

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x1) 315

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 425

(1x1) 455

Phase 4 -- Day 9

Today was raw conventional deadlifts (still sticking with the alternating program … sumo, conventional … each week). My all-time raw max on conventional deadlifts was 500. This was about 7 years ago at 10lb heavier bodyweight. It was brutal for me working up to that, taking a few years of dedicated focus. (I was never a natural deadlifter--especially conventional.) The video below was my first attempt at 500 (back in '08) and it was with a crappy, no-flex, G and G Fitness bar. I was so happy after this lift, that I ended up laying on the concrete for several minutes, just thinking about the "journey."

First 500lb. Deadlift

If I can avoid back issues (the reason why I switched to sumo several years back), I may make another raw attempt at 500, this time though at a 190 bodyweight as a Masters lifter. :)

On grippers today, it was a scheduled "off day," and I ended up trying to close some of my harder grippers (near-max). I got my Super Master (126lbs.) relatively easy, and just clicked the handles of my 128lb. GHP6. I feel nowhere near 100% now, so am really happy to have closed these grippers under the circumstances, and am looking forward to what I am going to be able to do when fully rested after RRBT.

Edited by Buccos1
  • Like 2

Fri (9/4)

RRBT

Phase 4 -- Day 10

Today marks the end of Phase 4, and I cannot believe I made it through to this point. (My gripper-work prior to this was one session every 5 days, with a total of 3 working sets per session … stark contrast to this!) Throughout the first portion of the program, my hands were wrecked, but lately, the strength seems to have come back, with potentially more. (It's tough to gauge this with the constant volume, though.) And some days have been better/worse than others.

I am not including details in this log, but am keeping a RRBT log in the RRBT forum. So far, I really like this program, and am happy I stuck with it to this point.

Sat (9/5)

Squats

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x1) 315

add suit/straps down

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 425

straps up

(1x1) 455

(1x1) 475

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 1

I sent my Metal squat suit away to have it sized down, and just got it back. Over the years, I haven't really squatted in a suit, choosing to squat in briefs instead, despite the potential loss on my total. Training alone, it's been difficult to get things "dialed in" with a suit, and working in briefs isn't too bad. Plus, I hate the feeling in the hole with the straps up (like your head is going to pop).

Today's reps weren't too bad, but not great. The suit is tight in the legs, but still loose in the hip/gut area. I set the safety pins a inch-or-two high just to be safe, so all reps were a little high. I may just use this suit to deadlift in, and stick with briefs.

• Like 1

Nice 500 pound deadlift, Carl! My first 500 pull happened in the High School Nationals , and just like you, I had to bask in it for a bit.

And my least favorite part about wearing gear was the leg numbing knee wraps. Such and uncomfortable hassle. Lovin' the raw lifting.

• Like 1

Sun (9/6)

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 2

Thanks Eric! Not sure why it's not letting me quote. I remember that day vividly. Toiling for almost two years, week-after-week, trying to get to 405 (at first) and then the long journey to 500, wrought with a lot of misses and frustration. (It was a struggle to get to 405 for me … 500 seemed like a pipe-dream!)

The lift above was my first attempt at 500. We were getting ready to leave for vacation and I took a "do-or-die" attitude, almost putting my entire trip in jeopardy. LOL I know it would have been a miserable time if I would've missed it. After this lift, I ended up sitting on the dirty, chalky concrete, and then layer backwards for several minutes, just thinking about it, and trying to take it in. It was actually one of the happiest days of my life, 'cause I had to work my butt off to get there.

500 is awesome for a high schooler! You were at a lighter weight too? I cannot stand knee wraps, and have never really cranked them. No way could I stand it. Even with moderate-tight wraps, I always felt like I was going to dump the bar, due to losing feeling in my feet. I've been almost exclusively using knee sleeves, and really like them. They take care of most of my knee issues and let me squat relatively heavy, without the consequences. Every once in awhile, I'll wrap up for a top rep, but I'll use my very forgiving Inzer "Red Line" wraps.

Having to struggle to achieve 405 and then going on to make 500 makes that a very special accomplishment! I liken it to the day I will finally overhead press 200. It will be a big deal for me.

Yes, I was much lighter when I first pulled 500 as a high school junior. I weighed 159 without cutting.

• Like 1

Mon (9/7)

Bench Press

(1x8) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x1) 265

(1x1) 305

(1x1) 325

Bench Press - Sling Shot (black)

(1x1) 345

(1x1) 355

Football Bar Rows

(1x8) 130

(1x5) 180

(1x5) 200

Decline Kettbell Pushups

(1x25)

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 3

Tue (9/8)

Shrugs

(1x8) 135

(1x8) 225

(1x8) 315

(1x5) 405

(1x5) 475

(1x3) 525

Decline Kettlebell Pushups

(2x20)

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 4

Shrugs were tough today, at the heavier weights. The past few days of gripper closes have given me bruising on my palms, and it was tough holding on the last few reps.

Wed (9/9)

Deadlifts (sumo)

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x2) 315

add suit/straps down

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 455

straps up

(1x1) 510

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 5

Edited by Buccos1
  • Like 1

Thur (9/10)

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 6

Fri (9/11)

Floor Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 245

(1x1) 275

(1x1) 285

Speed Bench Press

(1x3) 155

add chains

(5x3) 155

Lying Dumbell Extensions

(2x8) 30

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 7

First time in weeks that I've done floor presses. There is no reason why I stopped doing them regularly, aside from lack-of-time, and having to choose between that and something else. But, overall, they felt OK. 285 was starting to get heavy (with a pause).

My hands are feeling pretty good with the closes, but I have developed a deep bruise in my palm the past few days. I've been using a double-folded piece of athletic tape in my palm during about half of the reps, and this seems to help with the pain.

Sat (9/12)

Squats

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x1) 315

add briefs

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 425

(1x1) 455

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 8

I've been fighting a cold the past day-or-so. Squats felt rough today … very heavy.

Sun (9/13)

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 9

I was planning on bending today, but decided to pass. Still not feeling too hot. Today's reps felt pretty weak.

People all over the place seem to be getting colds. It's usually the week after a cold that my strength takes a hit, if at all. I did see some weird chem-trails overhead the other day... lol.

LOL … definitely trying to fight through this one. I've gotten sneezed on (or near) a few times these past couple weeks, which I used to be able to dodge, but not lately. Really need to work on my agility!

• Like 1

Mon (9/14)

Bench Press

(1x5) 135

(1x3) 185

(1x3) 225

(1x2) 265

(1x1) 295

(1x1) 320

DO - IMPs

Yellow Nail

5/16 x 7" Grade 2

Red Nail

DU - IMPs

Yellow Nail

1/4 x 6.5" Grade 5

DU - BBW

1/4 x 7" Grade 8

RRBT

Phase 5 -- Day 10

Bending was tough today. Gripper closes were tough today. Bench was tough today. Just glad to get through everything!

• Like 1

For the past ~6 years, I have pulled single-ply, sumo-style in deadlifting. The most I would do raw conventional (during alternating warm-ups) would be 405. My all-time raw conventional PR was 500lbs. back in 2008. (It was tough getting there, and a grinder of a pull.) Not-too-long after that, I hurt my back and was forced to switch to sumo-style. So, I thought my conventional days were over. But, recently, I have been wondering if I put the work in, could I get back to 500 raw? I've also been thinking about doing a raw meet (would be first since 2008), and know I'd have to get this lift back up.

I've been alternating sumo/conventional for the past month-or-so, and the raw, conventional pull has slowly started to climb again. I plan to keep pushing this, with hopes of getting back to 500 by the end-of-the-year. Here was Wednesday's session:

• Like 2

Tue (9/15)

Shrugs

(1x8) 135

(1x8) 225

(1x5) 315

(1x5) 405

(1x5) 475

(1x5) 505

Decline Kettlebell Pushups

(2x20)

RRBT

Phase 6 -- Day 1

Phase 6 marks the home stretch of RRBT! :) I never, never thought I'd be able to do (survive) 50+ straight days of grippers, but, despite a few ups-and-downs, it is working, and my hands/grip are stronger. My goal in starting this program is to close the #3; this has been my goal for years. Despite recent-year progress with grippers, the #3 still seemed so far off, and I decided I had to try something different.

The "end portion" of the program will be coming up soon, after the next week, and I will begin making some attempts at closing the #3. I have a few to try, ranging from 139lbs. to 144lbs., and a harder unrated one. I also have a 140lb. Grand Master that I will begin making attempts on soon.

• Like 1

500 doesn't stand a chance against you, Carl!

• Like 1

Thanks Eric! I'm all-in for this one.

Wed (9/16)

Deadlifts

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x2) 315

(1x1) 405

(1x1) 425

(1x1) 465

RRBT

Phase 6 -- Day 2

I think I am going to do a raw meet in December. This would be my first raw meet since 2008. It'll just depend on how training goes, and my back responds to raw conventional.

• Like 1

Thur (9/17)

RRBT

Phase 6 -- Day 3

Fri (9/18)

RRBT

Phase 6 -- Day 4

My 114lb. #2 is getting too easy for a lot of my rep-work, which is insane when I think about it, and thinking back a few years ago, when I was amped to get one solid rep with the 2.

Sat (9/19)

Squats

(1x3) 135

(1x2) 225

(1x1) 315

(1x1) 335

(1x1) 365

(1x1) 375

RRBT

Phase 6 -- Day 5

I went all-raw today on squats. Everything felt OK … haven't really gone this heavy raw in a long time. My best-ever was probably 10 years ago when I was getting 2-3 with 440 and a top-set of 455. Since then, and throughout some injuries, I haven't gone much over 355.

Grippers have been feeling pretty strong lately, and I decided to up my working gripper for some of my reps. I ended up getting 4 reps with my (123lb.) #2.5, and then two sets of 3 after that. Prior to this, my previous best with this gripper was almost 2 reps … probably 1.9.

• Like 1