Experimental Rt Program Training Log

Guest Squat More

So I did a 10lbs jump instead of 5lbs as the program states in order to get closer to the 10-15 rep range. Got 18 lefty and 21 righty. I think this will balance out as I get 5lbs jumps the upcoming weeks.

Should I do another 10lbs jump for next week and then continue with 5lbs after that?

yea, I feel the same. :)

Isnt 2 weeks of total rest a bit much? 1 week would cut it for me :)

Squatmore, do you think its okej if I do alittle hubbing on my new IM hub instead of the thumb clamp every other week?

Last session before two weeks of rest got 190lbs for 10 right handed was pretty hard but got it and held 200lbs for about 3 seconds and for the left hand got about 5 and couldn't pull the 200lbs for the hold.... Two weeks of rest and then max time going for 225lbs five 45lb plates haven't been counting the handle and the loading pin ain't gonna start now

Guest Squat More

You can do whatever you want, but the actual purpose of the thumb clamp or using a TTK was dynamic thumb work, working your thumb through a range of motion, not anything static like pinching or hubbing since the RT is a lot of static work to begin with. You want to get the thumb joint through a range of motion to avoid injury and stiff thumbs and to get some work in to pump a bit of blood into the thumb pad.

Massey, that is awesome man, glad you got through it. I have found that when my RT has gone up in strength so have other thickbar lifts as well like my axle. Deadlifting itself is the bane of my existence but RT definitely helped me pull more on my axle. Mind you, its a pathetic 330 but it went up from an even more pathetic 295 where it was before.

Let me know how the Max testing goes and how you approach it, it may take a few sessions to get to a true 1rm after doing so much volume but it should definitely be higher than what it was before. Also, have you noticed more thickness in your hand, thumb pad, wrist and forearm? I am curious.

Def some forearm size and maybe a little in the thumb pad... After I Max how should I approach more RT training start the program over? With my new max as my starting weight?

Def some forearm size and maybe a little in the thumb pad... After I Max how should I approach more RT training start the program over? With my new max as my starting weight?

Guest Squat More

You can take a % of your new 1rm and start over, or you can just spend some time pulling heavy triples, doubles, and singles for a while with the added endurance and tendon strength. It's all up to you. I ran the program twice, the first time was more like how Laine Snook suggested then I made changes and came up with the program you just completed.

Guest Squat More

I saw the good gains after I tailored it, yes, not much for gains the first time around (doing high rep work), I switched it to once a week instead of 3x using a higher % of my max and adding weight each week instead of using the same weight just going for more reps. This is why I say the program is loosely based on Laine Snooks advice (high rep training and dynamic thumb work), along with Alexey Tyukalov (doing the iso holds) and Steve Gardener (wrist roller) giving me advice on thickbar training and RT specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my mex testing today didn't do any grip for 2 weeks ended up getting 205lbs in plates barely I was pretty pissed I know my RT carabiner and loading pin weighs 11lbs so you would think the total would be 216lbs being still pissed off I weighed the entire set up and plates on the gym scale and it was 221lbs feeling a little better now but I'm gonna try and max again next Wednesday from past experience everytime I take a couple weeks off my first session back is always a disappointment then my next session I'm stronger then where I was before my break I'm hoping this is still the case my goal is to pull five 45lb plates on my set up.... Also my gym just got exact weight plates to 1/100 of a pound so I will be using these from now on

• Like 1

So I put 70kilo as my trainingmax. Thats a few pounds under my real max.

Now I can rep that weight for 10+ reps.

Is there any drawbacks to not taking a week off and then maxing, but instead just keep the program rolling. Same increases every week until reps start to go under 5 or something and then rest and max out?

If I keep growing stronger each session I dont feel like stopping the progress just to max out :)

Hope you understand :)

Yeah, I think I will mate! For the rest of this year

Im thinking I might use sledge fingerwalking for thumbexercise also. Shift between hub, clamp and fingerwalking for vareity:) anyone oppose? :)

Guest Squat More

It'll take you a few sessions to get used to pulling max on the rolling thunder again Massey, you have been doing a lot of volume on lighter weights for reps. It took me three or four sessions after doing the volume work to get a good max but when I did it was a good 35+ lbs from my previous.

NG - you can do what you want but you have to remember that at some point you are going to need a rest, the higher the weights go the more volume you are taking on. Your hand, thumb, wrist, elbow etc will need a break eventually. Doing this much volume puts a strain on the thumb over time which is why it only went so long. I would suggest finishing the program as is, resting, testing then re evaluating from there and seeing how many more weeks you feel you can go. The entire purpose is 10+ rep volume, if you are continuing until you are only able to do 5 reps, you're not getting as much work in and robbing yourself of long term gains.

Just my .02

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Yep give yourself some time to get accustomed to pulling heavy singles again - record some pulls and share them if you have the ability to do so. I'd love to see some!

Maxed again today added 5 more lbs did 210lbs in plates didn't weigh the whole set up this time and came real close to getting 215lbs in plates will try again next week

• Like 1

from past experience everytime I take a couple weeks off my first session back is always a disappointment

Just out of curiosity what age range are you in i.e. 20's, 30's...

I have had this happen with all athletic endeavors not just grip. It takes me a few weeks or more to get squared away after a deload. I generally disregard when a program calls for a deload. I look forward to trying this program and I know Squat More put a lot of thought into these programs plus he is generous enough to share them. I will be following along to see how this turns out for everyone. Kill it guys!