Training Routines For Grippers/rt/thickbar;

PeterSweden

Hey guys; I was sitting here, thinking about different ways to train for gripper strength and RT/Thickbar strength.

I thought that I'd ask you guys who can CCS coc3 and mms/ccs/block set beyond that, or who can lift 90+kgs (200+lbs) in RT, for routines to get there.

Do you have any programs that you might want to share with me/us?

volume/sets/reps/thoughts/routines/progressions/% of 1RM and what not.

I alread have Chez's routine with dropsets on grippers (sounds really cool!!) and Im going to try it after Im done with RRBT and have done only thickbar for a couple of months after that.

I might try KTA this year too if all goes well with RRBT.

So far it seems to work well, I've gone from beeing 2mm from TNSing my coc2,5 and MMSing my coc3 to easily TNSing my coc2,5 and I dont know yet where my 1RM is.

I want to close that coc3,5 so bad! I want it to look like a warmup gripper and within the upcoming year or two, not in like 15 years!

Thanks!!

Peter Sweden

Well I don't know about Grippers, but I've found for really any of the grip lifts (RT included in that) working sets of 2 work great. It allows you to go good and heavy, but to get more time under tension and repeatability that singles do.

Guest Squat More

I have written up a Rolling Thunder program that I am wanting to find testers for. It is based off of a few tips I have gotten from some very strong men on the Rolling Thunder. who at different times gave similar advice or tips. Laine Snook's high rep linear progression problem and use of the Titans telegraph key, Steve Gardener's use of a thick Wrist Roller, and some tips that Alexey Tyukalov gave me over facebook about 7 months back about Static holds.

If anyone is interested that has the ability to copy and paste a google documents spreadsheet to edit for themselves, I can send you the URL. All you have to do with the spreadsheet is punch in your training weight and follow from there.

For CCS on a #3, what I did when I was going for the #3 cert, everything with my training was all done on grip machines, but when I actually used grippers, which was just me playing around and not really working out with them but simply toying around, I would use a gripper that was always harder than any #3 (Tetting Elite, GHP Level 8, #3.5, MM1 Replica). I would focus on single mms attempts centered around the final part of the close and try to increase the distance of the attempt, even if it was only 1mm. Mentally, I would picture destroying the gripper in my mind by attempting to overcrush the handles together.

Besides singles with harder grippers, when I would use a #3 or GHP Level 7, I would use as many mms reps as I could. It would always be about 3 to 5 reps for 1 or 2 sets.

On a credit card sets, I would attempt to get the gripper to open wider for those sets, but it was always single max efforts I would put behind the close. The reason, I have to work around the positioning of the gripper while also keeping my pinky finger off the bottom of the handle.

Mostly I did this every few days just to see how far I could actually get the handles to touch from what position I felt good to attempt.

Hope this could help you out towards getting the #3 one day man.

I have written up a Rolling Thunder program that I am wanting to find testers for. It is based off of a few tips I have gotten from some very strong men on the Rolling Thunder. who at different times gave similar advice or tips. Laine Snook's high rep linear progression problem and use of the Titans telegraph key, Steve Gardener's use of a thick Wrist Roller, and some tips that Alexey Tyukalov gave me over facebook about 7 months back about Static holds.

If anyone is interested that has the ability to copy and paste a google documents spreadsheet to edit for themselves, I can send you the URL. All you have to do with the spreadsheet is punch in your training weight and follow from there.

Allright! That was just what I was thinking of doing, RT, Thick WR and some pinch or thumbwork. :)

How long will this last?

Im interested :)

For CCS on a #3, what I did when I was going for the #3 cert, everything with my training was all done on grip machines, but when I actually used grippers, which was just me playing around and not really working out with them but simply toying around, I would use a gripper that was always harder than any #3 (Tetting Elite, GHP Level 8, #3.5, MM1 Replica). I would focus on single mms attempts centered around the final part of the close and try to increase the distance of the attempt, even if it was only 1mm. Mentally, I would picture destroying the gripper in my mind by attempting to overcrush the handles together.

Besides singles with harder grippers, when I would use a #3 or GHP Level 7, I would use as many mms reps as I could. It would always be about 3 to 5 reps for 1 or 2 sets.

On a credit card sets, I would attempt to get the gripper to open wider for those sets, but it was always single max efforts I would put behind the close. The reason, I have to work around the positioning of the gripper while also keeping my pinky finger off the bottom of the handle.

Mostly I did this every few days just to see how far I could actually get the handles to touch from what position I felt good to attempt.

Ok :) I've been eyeballing some machines before but I never got around to buy one.

I might do that sometime this year.
What machines work best?
X-gripper, SW or just a regular plateloaded like the one from sorinex?

Ok :) I've been eyeballing some machines before but I never got around to buy one.

I might do that sometime this year.
What machines work best?
X-gripper, SW or just a regular plateloaded like the one from sorinex?

I've never used an X-Gripper machine, I've only used 4 grip machines, IronMind Go-Really Grip Machine, Secret Weapon, Joe Kinney Grip Machine, and the Pop's Gripper.

The Go-Really I found to be the one machine I gained very little from only because the handles felt very odd for my hands.

The Secret Weapon really works leverage and great for negative work, and you don't really need a whole lot of weight to train on it. This was the machine I use when I was training on when I was really going after the #3.

The Joe Kinney Grip Machine is really interesting because you can't really cheat on it, if the handles are filed you can work btr with negatives, but I would not suggest using rep work because your hands would get pinched every rep. But working on negatives on this machine really works the best for me.

The Sorinex Pop's Gripper has great features unlike the other grip machines, I feel personally that it combines all the other machines together in one total machine. Plus, you can add the crush booster that will act as a substitute for the Secret Weapon. Only drawback for me personally is the thick handles but that is only minor.

What I would suggest you do is think about which machine would give you the most benefit in long-term use of the machine. I know the Secret Weapon and Joe Kinney Grip Machine are very easy to build if you know how to weld or someone who knows how to, you can get the material very easy as those would be the most cost effective.

• Like 2

I am going to film my entire gripper routine some time soon so people can see how I train. Its not the only way to train, but I think it will help a lot of people.

• Like 3