Louie Simmons Interview

bwwm

Got a run-down on the topics covered by chance?

I've visited Louie at Westside something like 4 times now - I love talking to him. Well listening to him - he does most of the talking :). Always interesting stuff.

He mostly talked about GPP, what crossfit people could do to get strong (he told them that a lot of the crossfitters he sees DL, the form is crap). He touched on the basic definitions of the elements of the Westside Method (conjugate method, accommodation, max effort day, dynamic day, etc.). A lot of what he said he has said in other interviews of course, but there's always little bits of of knowledge that seem to come out that he hasn't said before.

I have his bench book and his squat/deadlift book, and always enjoy re-reading those to get the info to sink into my skull. I have been working on my hip range of motion to fix my squat form, so I'm not doing anything close to the Westside method right now, but a lot of the exercises he recommends has helped tremendously (wide stance back squats, zerchers, belt squats). I have been trying to do a lot of what he recommends in the bench book (a max effort day, and a dynamic day each week, and lots of assistance exercises). Given that I screwed up my pec many years ago, I'm thrilled with the results, since it has bothered me up until about a year ago.

There was another interview that he did recently where he said he basically didn't give a 'f#$%' how much merchandise he sold, he was focused on getting people strong in the gym.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info dude.

It would be interesting to get his thoughts on developing Grip Strength.

• Like 1

I remember a dead lift video where Louie talks about how they use a TTK and plate loaded machine to strengthen the grip.

I'd love for him to talk about this as well!!

Guest Squat More

I know I have seen pictures of Chuck Vogelpohl when he was at westside doing grip work, claw hub lifting dumbbell for time and stuff like that. Multiply or not, Chuck V is a complete badass (sorry for language but its true) and I don't know if there is anyone in Powerlifting, raw, single, or multiply that can match that mans intensity with a barbell.

I remember a dead lift video where Louie talks about how they use a TTK and plate loaded machine to strengthen the grip.

I'd love for him to talk about this as well!!

Maybe Jedd & Sean can talk him into doing an episode of grip strength radio sometime. That would be an interesting hour.

• Like 1

I asked Louie at a strength clinic what he did for grip strength training back when I first got involved - around 2002 - and he said they did nothing beyond deadlift work. He said it was too much on their CNS to recover from.

I would love to do an episode with Louie. By the sounds, he may have found some alternatives that were less harsh for them to recover from. I know in 2004 when I had dinner with Jim Wendler prior to a seminar, I asked him about Grip too, and he made mention of the Inverted Dumbbell Holds.

I think if you approached Louie and let him know in advance what your interests are for the interview - he might be able to put together ways to apply all the processes he uses to train the whole body to the more specific development of grip strength. More from the viewpoint of the ways to apply what he does to specific grip training - exercise selection and execution - the use of equipment and ways to target the different aspects of crush - pinch - support - and levering while applying accommodating resistance and all the other things he uses. Grip Strength Radio would be great but an actual visit to Westside and a face to face with Louie on tape would be even better.

Yeah, if only we knew someone who lived like, REALLY close to Westside. At least closer than my 8-hour drive. Hmmm?

• Like 1

Yeah, if only we knew someone who lived like, REALLY close to Westside. At least closer than my 8-hour drive. Hmmm?

Well ........................ One half of Grip Strength Radio is pretty close :). Nick and or I could go too - I haven't talked to Louie in a while now - always nice to visit Westside.

• Like 1

You and Doc could team up for one.