My 'all Round' Routine

Old Dax

Hi guys,

I have trained forearm / grip in the past and found it lengthened the total amout of training time a bit too much (powerlifting training along with, dedicated grip stuff at the end) I found best results when I did grip only (due to injury or whatever). I have had to put squat & deadlift on hold recently, so I've been looking at grip.

Current routine (based on 5/3/1) is:

Monday

O/H press, triceps 'poor mans Rolling Thunder', face pull:

RT is a Fatgripz on a pulley stirrup handle. I do e.g. 40kg x 5 warm up followed by 4 sets of 5 (last set AMRAP) with 52.5kg, I alternate L and R and expect the R hand to overtake my left soon, been getting ~8 reps for last set. Progression is to add 1.25kg each wek if reps are achieved.

Tuesday

(no DL), BB row, Bench row, plank, DB hammer curls with thick handles, cross bench reverse wrist curls (barx15 warm up then 4 sets 8-12, when 4x12 achieved then add 0.5kg and start at 4x8; currently using 27.5kg for 4x10)

Wed rest

Thursday

Bench, Lockouts (chains, lightened, boards or with bands) Pinch grip: warm up with 2x5kgx15reps, then using a light loading pin I do 4 sets of 6, with 2x10kg plus 2x1.25kg (I use the 1.25s so they dont get in the way) Pony clamp to fatigue the thumbs, then face pull.

Friday

(no Squat) Low pulley row, WG pulldowns, NG pulldowns, back raise (hypers) DB curl with thick grips.

Debating whether to put wrist curls here.

So it seems to be going OK but I have a weird problem with my Pinch grip: I am right handed but my left seems to be better at pinching, except when everythig goes 'just right'. My general approach is to work left first (usually weaker) and match reps attained (on the left) with the right hand. Sometimes I'll get an easy 6 with my left and barely get 2 poor quality reps with the right. I have tried to make sure the technique & positioning are equivalent on both sides, the only thing that seems to help is increasing the rest between sets (and gettin mad! at my weak right hand).

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

Tried the rolling thunder (fatgripz version which is smaller in diameter I believe) 28th May;Left hand was useless as left wrist seemed tired but went for it on the right: Previously I got 61.25kg (+handle,pin & grip etc),18th March. Got 66.25 with a very near miss on 67.5kg (grip went on the way down) so +5kg in about 9 weeks. So reasonable progress?

Just give it some time man and try to grease your groove. You've been out some time as I read. Also hard to tell where you stand with 'poor man's equipment' haha the same way I train sometimes with homemade stuff. It's just different than working with standardized equipment. I think it's good when you have the feeling the next day that you definitely worked your lower arms and give them some rest. You'll get stronger and maybe then you can think of specializing in grippers/ pinch or whatever after some time? just a thought. Good luck on your quest and with healing up.

• Like 1

Thanks Geralt. I'm guessing the rolling thunder will be easier than the 'real' one. I like grippers too (will attack them soon) my current gym has a contest: this rolling thunder is used; the heaviest weight in any month gets a free months membership, once you've won you not elligable to try again for a year. Les (who owns the gym) has a great attitude to all his customers. The pinch I do was an attempt to help the rolling thunder progress. There are some beasts at this gym though! (a couple of WSM competitors) and a few lighter weight strongmen.

• Like 1