2013 Diablo Rock Grip Comp Ii

daniel reinard

Does 3/3 work? That may actually be a better day for us. I forgot I have something that day. And another guy has something on 3/2 also.

Does 3/3 work? That may actually be a better day for us. I forgot I have something that day. And another guy has something on 3/2 also.

Yes works for me, sometime in the afternoon should be fine I'm guessing?

Yes works for me, sometime in the afternoon should be fine I'm guessing?

Yeah, afternoon is best. Morning workouts are no bueno!

Tex, if you set something up in the 52mm-58mm range for the 2HP. It's adjustable so when you see it you can get a feel for what width you'd like to use. It's flat metal discs so anything in that width and metal will work for practice.

Awesome, I can definitely build something to that effect.

Thanks Daniel! I'm sure I'll have questions for you down the road, looking forward to getting my rookie mitts initiated!

• Like 2

I talked to my friend about this, and while it seemed to catch him somewhat out of the blue, I think he might be in for it too, so i'll let you know as soon as i can, but i might be bringing extra competitors.

• Like 1

I talked to my friend about this, and while it seemed to catch him somewhat out of the blue, I think he might be in for it too, so i'll let you know as soon as i can, but i might be bringing extra competitors.

Awesome hope they can make it, will be nice to have a solid group of people competing.

Saturday after Tax Season? Only 30 miles from where my 6 month old granddaughter lives?

I will register, and my son says he will too. We are trying talk his woman into it as well (she was into Cross Fit before she became with child). Let me know if any ladies enter, as she does not want to be the only woman participating. My wife would watch the granddaughter at the gym. A large part of the Hubgeezer Family present. If a woman with baby is a bad thing there, let me know. Grandma and Baby could stay at my son's place during the contest.

I doubt if I would "train" for it, other than my normal workouts. My son has gotten into Power Lifting recently, and is pretty strong, but has not worked his grip in years. He could close the Number 2 eight years ago, and has average sized hands. But he is happy to humor me and enter. And my wife is happy to spend time with the baby, even if it means watching a grip contest! Looking forward to it, sounds like fun.

• Like 2

We're on for 3/3 @ noon at my house for a training day. PM me for an address if you are coming out.

Awesome Mike. We'd love to have you and the gang there. It's a family friendly enviroment and has a quiet kids room too if wanting to sit down somewhere quieter than the gym.

1 female has prepaid and 3 have rsvp'd. We should have a competitive female field.

Looks like we're going to go with the front sledge coin lift to a platform, probably 14-18" high. 4 attempts to get the frthest down the handle for a best lift. This is easy to judge, a strict wrist test, easy to perform (non technical), relatively safe, and a quick event. We are now deciding on if we use one 12# sledge or a couple sledges and use the weight and length as a score.

Looks like we're going to go with the front sledge coin lift to a platform, probably 14-18" high. 4 attempts to get the frthest down the handle for a best lift. This is easy to judge, a strict wrist test, easy to perform (non technical), relatively safe, and a quick event. We are now deciding on if we use one 12# sledge or a couple sledges and use the weight and length as a score.

You could possibly use different weighted sledges and score by formula of weight (pressure? Force?) at the fulcrum, I.e. at the wrist. So whoever performs the lift with the highest weight at the fulcrum would win the event, making it a bit more objective.

Physics! Haha

Man, this makes me want to hold a comp now. One of these days...

That was what I meant, by weigth and length. The issue is what if there is a tie between 10# and 12# sledge lifters. I don't think it's fair to judge them equally. Most often the higher weight beats out the lighter weight. But in a perentage based scoring system how does one differentiate them appropriately? A single sledge would eliminate that quandary.

If you're using separate sledges, you could just calculate the moment. But competitions usually are more exciting the less math is involved, unless its an academic decathlon or something.

I'd like to have just one sledge so me and my sister can practice with that weight. I think a 12# sledge deadlift would be very impressive all the way down the handle doubt many could do that yet sure many could do it higher up the handle. Maybe have a 10# or 8# sledge for the women and a 12 for the men? Though I think my sister could even deadlift the # 12 all the way up the handle and be just simpler to have one sledge for all.

Also my sister hit 90lbs-not including the weight of handle and loader- on the old rolling thunder today I'm going to record are best attempts this friday.-I am still sore from my friday workout to try anything- She never used it before so I think this was pretty good start I think she will hit over 100lbs by contest hopefully if she peaks right. The trainer gripper should be coming soon and I think she will be able to 20mm set close that. I have a question on the world record for the rolling thunder is it with the old or new handle? I saw that the record is set by Yvonne Häkkinen at 60kg last year. I figure we will use the new handle which I have read is a lot harder.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

The record is on the new handle. Don't worry about which is harder. That myth is basically because some people's old handle was so jacked they could lift alot more on it. I have both handles and lift more on the new one. I like the feel of it alot more.

Yeah we will go with a 12# sledge. Anyone can lift it at 1" from the head and I doubt we'll hae someone lift the whole length. People can do the 10# one so it's safe to go a little bigger and ensure the strong ones will get their best score.

The issue with calculating different sledges for a score is ties will happen between different sledges, and I don't think it's fair to give them the same score but there is no way to give more points to the heavier sledge user in a percentage based system.

For our contest we'll lift the sledge onto a ~16" platform with a coin on the head. This makes it easier to judge because people tend to just drop straight to the ground when near their max. Makes it hard to see if it was a controlled lift or if the coin was on the head before it touched the ground. Also for judging purposes we'll allow strict and non strict form since there is a gray area of strictness.

With the strict form are you refering to the angle of the arm to the ground?

Yes. Some say a strict lift is the arm perpendicular to the handle. And some lift with the wrist bent all the way so the arm is almost in line with the handle. We'll allow both. I lift more weight strict so I don't think it's a huge deal and also there is no way to make a call if form all of a sudden becomes non strict during the lift.

Good to know. I'll be buying a sledge today so i can start working that up.

I went to my closest home depot and they only had 8 and 16lb hammer. I"m going to try another one tomorrow though. For the coin after it hits the platform does it matter if the coin comes off? Is it going to be 4 attempts also or last man standing style? In the weird case we have a tie what happens then?

I lucked out and found an abandoned tire on my way back from harbor freight. Nothing like a tire to go with your new sledge hammer. Hopefully buying from hf wasn't a bad idea though.

• Like 1

Good to know. I'll be buying a sledge today so i can start working that up.

I went to my closest home depot and they only had 8 and 16lb hammer. I"m going to try another one tomorrow though. For the coin after it hits the platform does it matter if the coin comes off? Is it going to be 4 attempts also or last man standing style? In the weird case we have a tie what happens then?

I'd imagine a 10 or 12 would serve you better, probably a 12 after seeing your reverse strength. The coin can fall off once the sledge lands on the platform. It just needs to stay on there until the sledge lands. It will be 4 attempts like the other events. If a tie happens we just score like we would on the other events in that case. It's a percentage based scoring system based off the best lift. So 100 points go to the best lifter, in that case two people will score 100 points on the one event.

I lucked out and found an abandoned tire on my way back from harbor freight. Nothing like a tire to go with your new sledge hammer. Hopefully buying from hf wasn't a bad idea though.

Cool find! Sledge will be fine to lever and use on a tire. They can get unncessarily expensive if just for training.