Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Today:

DBPress: 98# 5 x (1,2,3) < PR! Hoping to get this up to 5x(1,2,3,4) in a couple weeks, and then hit the 103# db again.

Grippers: Did a lot of ccs work, and still a mm off from getting the #3 righty. Think I need to start doing BTR's and timed holds with the 2.5.

Dynamic Bench: 145# + grey bands 3 sets of 3 grips x 3 reps. < this got a lot faster & stronger after the first set.

Rack Pulls: 405# x 5; 455# x3; 495# x 3; Today was the first time doing these since I pulled my oblique doing these.

Dynamic Pinch: 15# 10rbh; 20# x 5; 22.5# x 3; 20# x 5; 22.5# x 3; 20# x 5

• Like 1

Also did KBRows last night: 123# 5 x 11

• 2 weeks later...

Did a deload week last week, and Saturday I got some used 65# dbs, I was monkeying around with. Yesterday I went indoor rock climbing for the first time in almost a year. All this adds up to a DOMS Monday with very little productive lifting going on:

DB Press: 98# (1,2), 4 x 1

PullUps: BW+39# 7, 7, 6 < this was all I could manage till my forearms started seizing up.

My one highlight from yesterday was I made it from the bottom of the campus rung ladder to almost the top - I stalled out on the 2nd to last rung. Probably could have got it if I psyched myself up for it.

DBPress:98# (1,2,3,4), 4 x (1,2,3)

Grippers: Worked up to a #3 149.5# ccs close. PR! Hope to make this more consistent in the coming weeks. Also did a lot of work trying to close my #2.5 I filed down (actually cut with a hacksaw).

50# Blob - got some nice air today, up to 7 sec hold with both hands. Think the climbing Sunday juiced my grip.

Pull Ups: BW+39# 8,7,6,5,4

Deadlifts: 405# 2 x 5, mixed grip on a 2" axle.

Some dynamic bench work on deck for tonight.

Bench: 135# x 10, 225# x 5, 265# 3 x 5 < PR! going for 275# x 5 next week.

Zercher Squat: 135# x 10, 185# x 10, 205# 3 x 5

KB Snatches: 53#; 36:36; 16 reps/int; 8 intervals

• Like 1

PullUps: BW+57# 5, 4, 3, 3, 2 < felt very strong today

Axle Deadlifts: mixed grip, conventional, 415# 2 x 5

Looking strong Martin!

Thanks Ben! Great to see you posting again.

I just plod along doing my program, making minor adjustments, and enjoying modest gains.

Bench: 135# x 10, 225# x 5, 245# x 5, 275# x 5 < 'nuther PR. Barely made the 5th rep on 275.

Back Squat: 135# 2 x 10; 185# x 10; 205# x 5

• Like 1

Congrats on the PR! Keep them coming!

Thanks Jason! These are totally unequipped as well. 'Back in the day', I used elbow wraps, wrist wraps, and a belt. I think if I had those on, I would easily exceed my all-time 1RM PR. My goal is to keep slowly increasing bench & squat, and then do a PL meet in a year or two. Squat form still leaves much to be desired. Might end up doing a push/pull meet.

Best thing for squats is tons of squats. If you start doing paused squats they'll really help you dial in your form. I think it's probably impossible to be out of groove or misfiring and still be able to complete reps.

• Like 1

Today:

Dynamic DBPress: 70# + 1 red band 6 x 3

2HP: 130# in plates 6 x 2

2" DB Holds for time: 170+# 6 x 6 sec < movin' on up next week

Pull Ups: BW+57# 5,5,4,3,2 < think 6 is definitely in the mix this weekend

Dimels: 225# + 40# of chain, Oly bar, Conventional, 2 x 20

Best thing for squats is tons of squats. If you start doing paused squats they'll really help you dial in your form. I think it's probably impossible to be out of groove or misfiring and still be able to complete reps.

My body ratios are so goofy, that I'm folded up like a clam just to break parallel. It requires a lot of pre-work and focus on my hip mobility to keep my lumbar spine in good position as well. Last winter, I was getting into the 245# range, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to form and my sciatica kicked in big time. So this year I spent reworking my form, hip mobility, doing a lot of video studies etc. So I'm back up to about 205#, but I'm not sure I'm quite hitting parallel with that yet. Need to vid record it and evaluate.

Try some SSB or front squats. You'll easily hit depth and your back has no choice to stay bolt straight to execute. It might be the ticket to helping.

Edited by Shoggoth

Try some SSB or front squats. You'll easily hit depth and your back has no choice to stay bolt straight to execute. It might be the ticket to helping.

What's SSB? I do Zercher squats on a regular basis - pretty similar to front squats and they seem to be strengthening my bicep tendons. Those have helped, along with Goblet squats to improve hip ROM.

I think it's a safety squat bar. It sits higher on back and takes pressure of of your shoulders too. A mana ray makes the bar sit up high too.

Yep the Safety Squat Bar. I think Zerchers can still get the upper back rounding a bit so it doesn't necessarily get you squatting better.

Yesterday:

DBPress (Max Effort day): up to 114# lefty (missed117#), up to 119.5# righty

CCS Gripper closes: missed my #3 by half a mm, for all three attempts righty. I had closed this on one attempt last week. Worked on more BTR holds with my filed #2.5.

Pull-Ups: BW+57# 6, 5, 4, 3, 2

Dynamic Bench: 155# + grey bands. 3 sets x 3 grips x 3 reps

Rack Pulls: 405# x 5; 445# x 3; 495# x 3; 545# x 1

50# Blob & 50# Hex: got some good lifts with the blob, Hex is getting close to coming up.

Homemade TTK: Got some good reps in up to 20#, and did some negatives with 22.5#

Sledge: front & back levers with 8# sledge, about 3/5ths of the way out from the head.

Edited by bwwm

• 2 weeks later...

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5, 245# x 5, 275# 2 x 5 < PR! The dynamic bench day on Saturdays really seems to be doing the trick.

Back Squat: 135# x 10; 185# x 5; 205# x 5; 225# x 5 < Form is looking 'not too bad'. Film at 11.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason!!!

Here's the vids of squats from today. Been almost a year that I have been working on hip mobility & ROM on these. I'm a lot happier with the squat depth, and straightness of lower back on these. My sciatica has also not been acting up as I have been going up in weight which is a good sign. Any criticism of form, etc. is welcome. I think I need to go a bit deeper for these to be ligit in a PL meet.

Good stuff Martin! Here's my little bit of critique for not really being a huge squatter Can you move your hands in to tighten your upper back some more. I think it'll help. Also it looks like you're moving your butt too far back for where you carry the bar. You should be able to drop straight (or straighter) down more. That'll help your back a lot. Your 225 set looked the best by the way. Great work coming back with the sciatica.

Thanks for the feedback Jason. I will try to get my arms in closer. I think I also need to do some more kettlebell swings to get the upper back stiffness.

I'm not sure I can drop straighter down without bothering my knees. My proportions are weird in that to hit parallel, I have to bend over even more than if I was deadlifting. Hence all the work on the hip mobility. I'll see what I can figure out in my next video session. Maybe knee wraps would help.

A different view might help to see what's going on with your knees. Maybe it's flexibility, not getting pushed out enough or that your stance needs to come in. It appears by your video that you're doing more of a geared lifting form whereas with raw that's typically too much stress for the hips so the strain is being transferred to your back and knees.