• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Adam Black

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is free; and if it appears to be free, then look around and see what is the source of funding.

All of life is that way.

If I offended anyone by my statement- and please note it was me and not Wannagrip- please accept my apology

because that was not, nor will it be, my intent.

Basic economics, according to Sowell, is deciding whether you want one item more than another. Do you want to keep your dollar, or do you want those two donuts?

Here, you can have both- you can keep your $10 and still

have the grip board. So far. If the grip board were a news-stand magazine, many here would read it at the store while sipping a cup of coffee. Then when the mag

failed, they would wonder why- all the while not realizing that the frequent cups of coffee would have funded the

mag.

Just do not think for a moment that it is in any real sense,

'free' for all involved.

It is free to go to church, but sometimes, putting something in the plate is nice.

Anyway, sorry if I was abrupt.

All I am trying to do is to get a few more people to donate to Cyberpump. This board is part of Cyberpump and costs money to run. Some of the responses have been childish and mean spirited. We are only talking about $10 a year.

I will add this:

I would be interested in knowing if there is any relationship between frequency of posts here

and subcribers to cyberpump. :blush

In many cases you can get free web hosting. For the pay route you can get a site hosted for as little as $10 a month. Now I can't comment on Bills motives for doing either site, but I can state that he knew from the start that it had a cost associated with it. The reason Cyberpump is so costly to run is due to the bandwidth it sucks up because of it's popularity. Again, Bill is the one who actively worked to build up the content and readers of Cyberpump. He knew there was a cost associated with this. He knew bandwidth comes at a price.

That being said some of you, state that I should be ashamed because I don't help offset the cost of a bandwidth hogging site that I don't frequent? Yes I am aware that this board resides on the same host and uses the same domain name. But that makes no difference. If Bill wants to charge for this board, he will do so. He has not, for whatever reason. I do not feel any guilt. Though I do take moderate offense.

OldGuy:

This whole thread was mean spirited and blatant slurping from the start. Try stepping down off the pedastal you are on and smell what you shoveling. Who are you to say what is inexpensive to another? If $10 is nothing to you, feel free to cover my donation for the year.

[sARCASM]

Oh, btw, I bought KTA. Anyone on this board who didn't is a cheap free loading troll.

[/sARCASM]

Adam,

As matters stand now, you are correct. If I can get a

product free, while another product is paying for it, why

shouldn't I accept the free product?

There are several sites I infrequently visit for free- if they

begin to charge I will not pay because I do not think they

have value (even $1 year) to me- I check them to keep up

on the latest fiction in the iron game.

The real test will come if the grip board becomes a paysite- then its value will be determined individually by each visitor- perhaps it will not be worth a dollar a year

to some; perhaps more to others.

That's why I asked about the relatinship between frequency of posts/or readings- and contributors, because I have a hunch that some of the most frequent posters would be among the first to flee if finance entered the picture. Can't prove that. Yet.

For those who say that $10 a year is an prohibitive amount, I understand. I have been there and do not disrespect the hardships entailed in the meaning of that

situation.

Am I half a skinflint if I brought my $20.00 plus worth of KTA?

Oldguy: Trying to help is not the issue. It's your method I object too. You imply that though I bought KTA and opt to shop at a site sponsor such as PDA that I am somehow not as good as someone who just outright contributes. Contributes to another facet of the site too boot! It's not like Bill didn't know what he was getting into when he worked to build up the readership of Cyberpump.

Boasting of ones contributions is just cheap in my view. As is implying that the donation amount is a mere pittance. Who are you to judge someone based on their financial standing? You are old enough, and should be wise enough, to see the folly in that. Your 'mean spirited and childish' comment just pushed me over the edge. You are certainly allowed a point of view, but don't bash others for having an opposing one.

You are the one doing the bashing. Anyone who can afford a computer and online acsess can also afford $10 a year to support a board they visit every day.

You are the one doing the bashing. Anyone who can afford a computer and online acsess can also afford $10 a year to support a board they visit every day.

You are ignorant! Now that is bashing. For your information I am at work, on a work PC using work pipe to check this board. As I presume are most of the 9-5 readers.

You are both bashing and calling me ignorant, but what do you think of those who are boasting about not being a subscriber, and of being a skinflint?

This post is starting to sound like something off a drug-use-encouraged-powerlifting board. :( If I see the words "I'm gonna kick your ass", I'm going to weep for the grippage. :unsure

*sigh* You obviously missed the sarcasm of my bashing comment. No matter.

As for your question, I think they have every right. This is a FREE board after all is it not? Why you think they should contribute to a portion of the site they obviously don't frequent is beyond me. Seems like you have some hidden agenda. Actually, it's not all that hidden now is it.

Mobster.

Since the suggested donation is 10.00 a year, that makes you twice a skinflint :D

Since this board is about freedom of expression, why don't we just let those who want to append their signatures do so, with no compulsion for everyone to behave in a similar manner.

If the board is free, there is no obligation to donate, and if one donates, there's no obligation to share.

The Gripboard is a part of Cyberpump. If you donate, you are also helping the Gripboard. All my initial post said was suggesting that donators make themselves known in their signature. I have no idea why you are going on and on about it.

When Bill asked for contributions for cyberpump, to offset

expenses, less than 1% responded, though it had thousands of daily visitors. So it is now available only to those who pay-why should 1% subsidize 99%?

Bill could have made EVERYTHING associated with cyberpump part of the pay area, but he did not. The grip board remains free, not because it is free of charge in regard to expenses, but because it is being subsidized.

Bill could easily switch free sections and make this a pay section and some of the other sections free, then what would the attitude be?

I'll tell you my attitude: I told Bill months ago that if he makes access to ironhistory.com free, he can find someone else to write it- that if people do not value it

as part of a 3 cent a day access, then so be it.

All I have been trying to communicate is, that if the same

request comes here, please be ready to put your money where your mouth is. Or not. Your call.

You are ignorant! Now that is bashing. For your information I am at work, on a work PC using work pipe to check this board. As I presume are most of the 9-5 readers.

At least buy your own computer.

Mobster,

You just now stated a position lacking logic.

If one should not pay for the grip board because

access is free, why should one pay for internet access

if it is free (at work)? Or, by extension, buy one's own

computer?

There are more serious things going on in the world at this time. :(:angry: Please stop the bashing, insulting, rudeness, and learn to respect each other. Some donate some don't. So what! DONATE does'nt mean you have to. When Bill makes this a pay site then make your choice. Until then stop with the petty posts like Mobster's.

I feel quite sorry to have contributed towards this (rather pointless, yet pointed) argument.

I don't think anyone would disagree in principle with making this a paysite if it has become too expensive to run as a free. I certainly don't expect anyone to shell out just so I can have somewhere to come and post and follow my grip interest. If no one wants to contribute and the Board is shut down then obviouslty the interest was never high enough anyway (that will not happen, I predict).

What I did object to (although NOT strongly) was being "shamed" into supporting Cyberpump when I did not consider it worth the subscription, just to support this Board. I will support this board, not another part that I have little interest in.

Anyway, I think in this case any light generated by this "dicsussion" is not worth the heat. Have a workout insteead.

Edited by The Mac

I apologize for dragging this on. As I now see it is truly pointless.

Oldguy I concede to your blinding wisdom.

I just donated to Cyberpump.

I also bought the KTA Program about a month ago.

Definitly worth the money in my opinion.

I've only been logged into the members area for about 5 minutes and I am impressed. Lot's of valuable info in my opinion.

I agree with OLD GUY on some points. It is only like 3 cents a day.

I myself spend many hours on the gripboard and get a lot of enjoyment from it. Just my 2 cents. Or should I say 3 cents.

HA HA HA

:D:D:D

Edited by tmmicklabs