The Axle Deadlift Challenge

AdamTGlass

I appreciate the compliments! This was a fun challenge Adam proposed, and one I certainly couldn't pass up, although at twenty five reps I was rethinking the "fun" part.

Something else Paul called right was the fact that it wouldn't be a test of grip for me. I was surprised to discover it was, in fact, my lower back fatiguing.

The gym is owned by our friend Jason English: Big J's Extreme Fitness, located in Red Oak, Texas.

And I didn't max out because I had flipped tires and carried kegs two days previous and am set to deadlift again Monday. And it would have been a bit anticlimactic knowing what I can pull for a single anyways.

Paul was hoping to get a 400 pull but was stopped with 389 which he came very close to locking out. I couldn't convince him to try the rep challenge, most likely because he's a P.A.B.

• Like 2

I appreciate the compliments! This was a fun challenge Adam proposed, and one I certainly couldn't pass up, although at twenty five reps I was rethinking the "fun" part.

Something else Paul called right was the fact that it wouldn't be a test of grip for me. I was surprised to discover it was, in fact, my lower back fatiguing.

The gym is owned by our friend Jason English: Big J's Extreme Fitness, located in Red Oak, Texas.

And I didn't max out because I had flipped tires and carried kegs two days previous and am set to deadlift again Monday. And it would have been a bit anticlimactic knowing what I can pull for a single anyways.

Paul was hoping to get a 400 pull but was stopped with 389 which he came very close to locking out. I couldn't convince him to try the rep challenge, most likely because he's a P.A.B.

I will put up your guys numbers, Eric you take the lead with total reps!

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo .....

I agree Eric. The reps hit my hips hard, the grip wasn't fatigued. Goes to show my conditioning sucks. Crazy. Reppage man, just crazy.

Eric how does your back feel today. If you back is like mine tomorrow will be a wheelchair day.

I agree Eric. The reps hit my hips hard, the grip wasn't fatigued. Goes to show my conditioning sucks. Crazy. Reppage man, just crazy.

Thanks, Daniel. Yeah, it made for a major lower back pump, unlike anything I've ever felt doing heavy sets of five... or twelve for that matter.

Eric how does your back feel today. If you back is like mine tomorrow will be a wheelchair day.

Surprisingly, my back feels good, but my hamstrings are pretty sore. My forearms are trashed! But we did hit a lot of high rep standing wrist curls, as well.

Eric, that is one of the most impressive grip feats I've ever seen! I love how there is never more than 3 seconds (usually far less) between any rep. No matter how tired you might've been getting.

Eric, that is one of the most impressive grip feats I've ever seen! I love how there is never more than 3 seconds (usually far less) between any rep. No matter how tired you might've been getting.

Thanks, Ben! I did try to limit the duration and frequency of those "breathers". I've noticed that even a five second rest between reps can do wonders for refreshing your grip on high rep sets.

Eric - this Amazing! How much do you pulled the maximum?

Thanks! I didn't max on that day, but the most I've done in training is roughly 365. So, I seem to excel at the higher reps, even though I very rarely train them.

443 with pause, 453 up and down

• Like 1

Remarkable progress, Adam! World class for sure.

Great work Adam. I noticed in a lot of your videos that you go from one exercise to another. Is that just for the film, or do you break up lifts like that?

Great work Adam. I noticed in a lot of your videos that you go from one exercise to another. Is that just for the film, or do you break up lifts like that?

variety for viewing :-)

typically I do all of one thing, and start the next once I have completed the first. So on this particular day (if you watched the 16 April video) I did DO Ax/ OA A, Double Inch FW, some pinching + grippers, then ome body weight stuff. The only stout rule in place is Grip First, Grip Always.

Sorry for bit late entry. Thanks Adam for cool idea. Tried it out today, video below. I think I managed 33 reps with 90kg @89kg BW.

Sorry for bit late entry. Thanks Adam for cool idea. Tried it out today, video below. I think I managed 33 reps with 90kg @89kg BW.

I will update today - what is your name?

Video ...

Really Beast!!! :grin: Nice reps!

I will update today - what is your name?

Thanks - Joonas Asikainen.

• 4 weeks later...

Adam - finally got it together and did the DL challenge. Let me know if the reps were too slow. Sometimes I wonder if I have had an aneurysm or something lately.

bodyweight 245 lbs

15 reps with 245 lbs

max of 315 lbs held for 2 seconds

This is with my relatively new CRS 2" bar, which has not seasoned yet.

http://youtu.be/-4Kl10wPvJc

http://youtu.be/xVE3YBd4eCg

This was definitely an eye opener. Thanks for posting this challenge Adam.

Edited by bwwm