Rults From My First Full Pl Meet.

Mike Rinderle

My goal was an 1150 total. Lifted 1150. :)

Couple little first meet slip ups. Got called on dpeth on my last squat and reracked my first BP too soon. Had more in the tank on bench and deads for sure, but all in all it was a great day! Hilight was pulling 523.6 for a huge all time PR. Here are all 9 lifts. Now to start training for a 1250 total at the end of May. :grin:

Congrats on getting on the platform! That 523 looked easy!

• Like 1

Thanks Bill! Felt pretty easy. Definitely left a few pounds up there. And the bar was less than ideal. Not sure who decided using a weird bar with knurling covering almost the whole thing would be a good idea. My thighs look like somebody went after them with a cheese grater. I had no idea where to put my feet or grab the bar, so I just winged it and yanked as hard as I could. HAHA

I really liked this video. That stuff i am not familiar with. One thing I didn’t get was why you got a red on that bench. It looked good all the way through. What was the Problem?

• Like 1

Looking strong Mike! Great work man.

Rich, he racked the 1st bench before getting the command. Otherwise, it was very solid.

• Like 1

Congrats on your first meet, you got all of that 1150 total, that was real strict judging. You pulled that 523 dead like it was nothing, looks like you had another 10 to 15 pounds in you.

• Like 1

I really liked this video. That stuff i am not familiar with. One thing I didn’t get was why you got a red on that bench. It looked good all the way through. What was the Problem?

He racked it before the "command to rack the bar" was given.

He racked it before the "command to rack the bar" was given.

Yea, I realized what happened and moved it back out and waited for the actual command but the damage had been done. Thought maybe I could give them the old catcher's glove move, but they were on to me. haha

I will say one thing, having a bench that doesn't wobble all over the place and sits a little lower than mine made a huge difference. Just having a solid base made those presses feel 10-15lbs lighter.

Great job Mike. I thought all of those lifts looked strong nd that you looked confident.

Can't wait to see you pull 600 on the DL brother!

Thanks Jedd! 600 is the ultimate goal!

Well done, Mike! Congratulations!

I'm training to enter my first strongman competition. The 200 pound class should suit me perfectly.

• Like 1

I'm training to enter my first strongman competition. The 200 pound class should suit me perfectly.

You will tear it up. Strongman is calling my name next year. Highland Games too.

Great job on the meet. 7-9 was awesome.

As a state level pl side judge I don't see anything wrong with that squat. Man, that thing looked to be about an inch below parallel.

I had a couple guys over last night for a training session and we all watched the vid. Even paused it at the deepest point in the squat.

Looked good.

Great job anyway. I'm sure the numbers will skyrocket in the next meet. Picking the right lifts is almost as hard as the training itself.

• Like 1

You will tear it up. Strongman is calling my name next year. Highland Games too.

Oh, excellent! Perhaps I will bump into you at a contest.

• Like 1

Great job on the meet. 7-9 was awesome.

As a state level pl side judge I don't see anything wrong with that squat. Man, that thing looked to be about an inch below parallel.

I had a couple guys over last night for a training session and we all watched the vid. Even paused it at the deepest point in the squat.

Looked good.

Great job anyway. I'm sure the numbers will skyrocket in the next meet. Picking the right lifts is almost as hard as the training itself.

They were calling them really strict all day. It felt deep and looked deep on the video, but they all three gave it reds so it must have been a bit high. I was a little surprised when I saw the reds. It felt just like the first two. But no biggie. Just have to work on taking them a bit lower so there is no room for doubt.

Having a sturdy bench that doesn't wobble all around made a huge difference on the presses. I think I had 5 or 10 more in me. I want 280 or 285 May 26!

nice job. i am curious how much of your standard bar deadlift training is double overhand?

My bar is a 30mm York Squat bar, so I can go up to right around 460-470 on it DO for a single. On a 28mm bar that has some flex in it, I'm good up to 500. When I'm not training for a meet, I do all my warmup sets DO (up to about 420-440 depending on the workout). Getting ready for a meet, I use more alt grip because it twists my body a bit and I need to keep my routine of squaring back up to the bar grooved in to my memory. Other than grippers, nothing increases my gripper strength more than DO deads on an oly bar. It's basically a static overcrush in the closed position. I'll never, ever be able to pull more than I can hold with an alt grip. I figure I'm good for about 900 alt grip if I could ever lift that much. HAHA I've lifted 500 right handed and 450 left handed on a plateau buster.

nice job. i am curious how much of your standard bar deadlift training is double overhand?

My bar is a 30mm York Squat bar, so I can go up to right around 460-470 on it DO for a single. On a 28mm bar that has some flex in it, I'm good up to 500. When I'm not training for a meet, I do all my warmup sets DO (up to about 420-440 depending on the workout). Getting ready for a meet, I use more alt grip because it twists my body a bit and I need to keep my routine of squaring back up to the bar grooved in to my memory. Other than grippers, nothing increases my gripper strength more than DO deads on an oly bar. It's basically a static overcrush in the closed position. I'll never, ever be able to pull more than I can hold with an alt grip. I figure I'm good for about 900 alt grip if I could ever lift that much. HAHA I've lifted 500 right handed and 450 left handed on a plateau buster.

i do all my training reps DO with no problem. i watch guys do alt grip WITH straps and step right is to do my set DO with no straps. i do think it helps my grip. is DO legal in a PL meet?

i do all my training reps DO with no problem. i watch guys do alt grip WITH straps and step right is to do my set DO with no straps. i do think it helps my grip. is DO legal in a PL meet?

yea, you can DO, alt, or go DO with a hook grip. I imagine if someone wanted to they could go DU, but not sure on that. Just no straps. But in the end, in a meet you aren't really trying to test your grip. The goal is to lift as much as possible. So everyone uses the most secure grip for them. Usually that's alt, although I did see a couple people use a hook grip. The last thing you want to have happen is miss a pull because your grip slipped or failed.

yea, you can DO, alt, or go DO with a hook grip. I imagine if someone wanted to they could go DU, but not sure on that. Just no straps. But in the end, in a meet you aren't really trying to test your grip. The goal is to lift as much as possible. So everyone uses the most secure grip for them. Usually that's alt, although I did see a couple people use a hook grip. The last thing you want to have happen is miss a pull because your grip slipped or failed.

i am in agreement, just curious though.

Thanks Scott! Hopefully I still have some noob gains in me between now and May 26. Doing an APA meet in South Carolina.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill! Felt pretty easy. Definitely left a few pounds up there. And the bar was less than ideal. Not sure who decided using a weird bar with knurling covering almost the whole thing would be a good idea. My thighs look like somebody went after them with a cheese grater. I had no idea where to put my feet or grab the bar, so I just winged it and yanked as hard as I could. HAHA

Congrats Mike :excl: A real decent full PL meet you've done.

As for the advantages of the bench set up you mentioned, I like to have a less than perfect training set up for some of my training, makes one better at coping with less than ideal competition settings. E.g. for speed squatting I change between a quite soft, non sharp bar to a sharp, power bar as well something in between, the stiff bar in competition usually feels great, solid on the shoulders.

As for the bar in your meet, in the video quality I can get it seems like a normal powerbar for a meet, nothing unusual.

Good luck and keep working hard for your May comp!

• Like 1