106lb Kb Press Today

bwwm

I've been working on my kettlebell Clean & Press since 8/2/2010, with the goal of pressing "the beast". I've been using Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell Rite of Passage program. It's taken a lot of work, cycling back to prior set/rep levels, and some assistance work (TGUs, rotator cuff work, etc.). Today, I finally nailed it:

http://youtu.be/r8ZF9S8bEKo

• Like 2

Dude, very cool! Congrats on nailing a beastly goal! Watching that makes me feel like a wimp since that's close to my two hand strict OH press.

Most impressive, Martin. Congratulations!

How much do you think you could strict press with a dumbbell?

Most impressive, Martin. Congratulations! How much do you think you could strict press with a dumbbell?

Thanks all for the kudos!

Eric - I don't know as I don't have a gym membership, and not sure if the dumbbells at the gym at work go up that high (I stopped going there after they made it more into a 'fitness center' with all sorts of computer gadgetry). Based on what I've read about the center of gravity differences and their effect on the biomechanics of pressing, the KB supposedly has a harder start, and the dumbbell has a harder lockout. I'm usually pretty good at lockout, so I'm guessing I could hit 110 dumbbell strict. I have a 2" handled dumbbell bar at home I could try loading up in another month or so and test my press again with that.

Very impressive Martin! New PR's seem to be a thing for you in the past few days!

Pretty easy dude. Nice work.

Most impressive, Martin. Congratulations! How much do you think you could strict press with a dumbbell?

Thanks all for the kudos!

Eric - I don't know as I don't have a gym membership, and not sure if the dumbbells at the gym at work go up that high (I stopped going there after they made it more into a 'fitness center' with all sorts of computer gadgetry). Based on what I've read about the center of gravity differences and their effect on the biomechanics of pressing, the KB supposedly has a harder start, and the dumbbell has a harder lockout. I'm usually pretty good at lockout, so I'm guessing I could hit 110 dumbbell strict. I have a 2" handled dumbbell bar at home I could try loading up in another month or so and test my press again with that.

Interesting. A strict 110 dumbbell is awfully good, too!

I just recently started training dumbbell push presses and strict barbell military presses. I have always been a horrible presser, but the lifts are so much fun.

Thanks guys! This press has always been tricky for me, because racking the bell and then the arc motion at the start is way different then the behind the neck presses I used to do 16-20 years ago.

Have to agree with the rest man. I have lots of heavy KB's and have tried all the lifts at one point or another. I laught at all the youtube comments from a-holes about form or whatever. When you step up to a 48kg or heavier bell and pick it up, its instant respect. Clean was easy and press was easier - good work.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Eric - just wanted to follow-up on my earlier comments. Today, after testing my 98# kb (finally got 5 reps both sides, so I can move up to using that in my ladders), I tried strict pressing a 106# loadable 'ghetto' inch trainer I made back at the start of the year. I couldn't move it from the starting position, I couldn't get it in a good pressing groove, with the 25# plates and pipe sticking out. So I would have to say, for 'circus' dumbbell type presses, there doesn't seem to be a good carry over from the kettlebell for me. I'm working on shooting some stuff for Adam's dumbbell grip challenge, and I'll see where I top out with the strict press of this thing as well.

Very strong press Martin! I missed this apparently when you first posted it.

Loz posted a good vid on YouTube on strength training and went into to circus DB a bit as well. One of the things he pointed out for pressing the big bells the rack position and drive starts with more of a pinkie up position than having a horizontal handle. Don't know if this'll help but it might be worth trying for you bud.

(null)

Jason - thanks for the pointers - I need to go watch that and practice. I also need to stop guessing at what I'm putting on the dumbbell - got out the scale and found out I was just shy of 120, not 110. So I backed it down to 102#, and was able to press it on the right side. Didn't try left. I think with some more practice, I could get 110#, but I'm finding out this thick handled dumbbell is a lot more tricky than I ever would have guessed. I also ground down the burs on the pipe ends. I was working on Adam's challenge lifts, and I realized I need a lot more practice on the dumbbell snatch and clean to get them presentable.

Here's the 102# press. Feel free to point out any form defects.

http://youtu.be/agtiK34mBS0

Nice pressing!

• 1 month later...

I've been working on my kettlebell Clean & Press since 8/2/2010, with the goal of pressing "the beast". I've been using Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell Rite of Passage program. It's taken a lot of work, cycling back to prior set/rep levels, and some assistance work (TGUs, rotator cuff work, etc.). Today, I finally nailed it:

[media=]

nice lift!

Well done

Thanks! Shortly after I moved up to the 98# bell for my working sets. When I work up to 5x(1,2,3) I'm going to test it again and see if I can hit the 115 range.