Greatest Blobs And And Their Sizes?

Kashtan

1) Half 125-lb Dumbbell (Iron Grip Monster) - +/- 5 5/8 inches across the sides +/- 7 5/8 inches across the face

2) Half 120-lb Hex Block - ?

3) Blobzilla- 65 lbs - Half 130-lb Dumbbell - 5 inches across the sides

4) 30 k - half 60 kg Legacy York dumbbell - ?

5) Half 135-lb Dumbbell Legacy York -? http://www.yorkbarbell.com/CommercialProducts.php?ProductType=Dumbbells&Category=Legacy%20Solid%20Round%20Pro%20Dumbbells&ProductID=206

6) Half 140-lb Dumbbell Legacy York -? http://www.yorkbarbell.com/CommercialProducts.php?ProductType=Dumbbells&Category=Legacy%20Solid%20Round%20Pro%20Dumbbells&ProductID=207

7) Half 145-lb Dumbbell Legacy York - ? http://www.yorkbarbell.com/CommercialProducts.php?ProductType=Dumbbells&Category=Legacy%20Solid%20Round%20Pro%20Dumbbells&ProductID=208

8) Half 150-lb Dumbbell Legacy York - ? http://www.yorkbarbell.com/CommercialProducts.php?ProductType=Dumbbells&Category=Legacy%20Solid%20Round%20Pro%20Dumbbells&ProductID=209

9) Impossiblob - 72 lbs - ?

Maybe someone has used half of those dumbbells?

http://www.umaxproducts.com/app/stx.productdetail.asp?did=71

I would be grateful to those who provide information on the most heaviest and unliftable blob.

You have included several items on the list that are extremely wide and only a handful of the people on this forum will ever be able to lift them.

I have many of the items on the list. I can tell you that when you get that wide, a lot of it comes down to the surface of the block.

With hexes, you can't just say "Half 120" or whatever the number is. I have several half 120's and can lift one of them with no problem and some of them may be unliftable due to th efinish and the slope of the dumbbell.

This is an interesting topic, but very difficult to truly answer considering the variables.

What is the Impossiblob, that you are referring to? That is what people used to call the half 115 that I got from Shane Larson and I eventually lifted it.

Thanks,

Jedd

I put together this video yesterday to show everyone the comparison between various Blobs and Blob-like implements.

• Like 2

I had talked to jedd about this earlier. what about legacy blobs lifted the hard way. it in effect would give us 2 different lists, or one if somebody wants to figure out what order they would go in. and they're widely available.

You have included several items on the list that are extremely wide and only a handful of the people on this forum will ever be able to lift them.

I have many of the items on the list. I can tell you that when you get that wide, a lot of it comes down to the surface of the block.

With hexes, you can't just say "Half 120" or whatever the number is. I have several half 120's and can lift one of them with no problem and some of them may be unliftable due to th efinish and the slope of the dumbbell.

This is an interesting topic, but very difficult to truly answer considering the variables.

What is the Impossiblob, that you are referring to? That is what people used to call the half 115 that I got from Shane Larson and I eventually lifted it.

Thanks,

Jedd

To create a theme I spodvigli following information, when I was looking for information about the strongest blobs.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=28746&view=findpost&p=386091

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=37829&view=findpost&p=525782

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=37829&view=findpost&p=525777

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=37450&view=findpost&p=520187

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=28912&view=findpost&p=387931

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=28746&view=findpost&p=386091

Blobs are actively used in tournaments at the highest level (LA EXPO, Arnold MM), so I decided to understand the hierarchy of their complexity.

Thank you for your interest in this topic Jedd, I think you have more knowledge than anyone else.

Hand size has been discussed to death more times than I care to remember but this is one area where hand size is probably THE limiting factor. Like Blobs by the face - some of these big blocks and Blobs are simply unliftable unless you have the length and spread to at least reach the sides.

Chris makes a good point, but if we throw the hand size thing out of the equation, and the blocks are all of similar size, it is going to come down to about three factors:

1. Surface Texture

2. Northeast and Northwest Slope

3. Overall Slope

With some hexes having a NE and NW slope that is supper long and slick, that makes them very hard.

Brent also brought up a good point. If you place your thumb on the bulging side of the Blobzilla, you are talking about something that just got at least 10 times harder to do. The difference between the straighter and bulginger side is amazing with the Legacy Blocks.

The outer diameter of the all blobs in all the same: 7 inches? Different factors listed above?

I had started to name the half 150 york legacy Impossiblob but now that I know it was used previously I will use another name.

I'm not sure what info you want on the blobs. In my Blobzilla thread I listed the heirarchy of what I thought the known blobs should place. Hexes fall into a formless list since coatings, manufacturers, sizes vary so much. With york blobs and specific molds of blobs we can measure their difficulty much better. Also remember surface texture and small mold variances still come into play.

York Blob (2nd gen)

Blob50

Fatman Blob (1st gen)

Fatman Clone

Blobzilla (half 130 legacy)

I think most know where I stand on hand size, its overrated. My left hand is 7 7/8" long 9 1/4" spread, right hand is a little smaller. Yet with sub 8" hands I can hook grip and axle and facelift a fatman blob with relative ease. Heck, when i facelift a blob it only get wrap with 2 fingers. Strong is strong. Not getting any wrap is an issue but if you can get a little hold on something it can be lifted. I actually think my wrap on an axle hurts me because hook is not allowed and that little bit of wrap makes finger placement very odd. I don't get a solid grip due to the little overlap, it actually makes it harder to hold on. Having said all that, of course big hands have an advantage, especially on blobs, but it doesn't make or break the feats.

The outer diameter of the all blobs in all the same: 7 inches? Different factors listed above?

the other diamtere is not the same. I know the blobzilla is widest, and the fatman is also slightly wider than the 2nd gen blob.

How is all this info helpful to you? Do you plan on running a contest with blobs? I say buy a few sizes and let the athletes decide the heirarchy.

daniel,

as far as hand size goes you do have a weird anatomy that allows you to excel at blocks. so, in your case you do have small hands but, only as we measure them. it's a good generalization rather than saying"hand size and structure as related to block weight lifting".

it's what you see from time to time with someone who can excel at one event and not others. that excel event is the one they have the anatomical advantage in.

How is all this info helpful to you? Do you plan on running a contest with blobs? I say buy a few sizes and let the athletes decide the heirarchy.

Yes, You're right, Daniel. I'm in competition Feb. 25 in Lviv, first tried blobs, but they just were cylinders without inclined surfaces, and not as heavy as the original York. So I became interested in blobs, and besides the standard, I decided to find out what is most difficult in the thick bar is clear that there is Inch, others the dumbbell, it's like regular blobs of 50 pounds, and has a dumbbell Millennium and Sorinex Circus Dumbbell at 202 pounds, it's like blobzilla, and there is a dumbbell Inch at 125 kg and 140 kg, and the dumbbell Mark Henry, then there is something that nobody has picked up, so I decided to find the equivalent of blobs.

I became interested in blobs. I decided to order their copies at the Ukraine, for competition, because the delivery of the originals from the U.S. or England would cost several times more. So I'm asking, what size have the most severe blobs.

Ok. Yes the above listed is the heirarchy but with other brands they may fall in a different placing. From what I hear the German made blobs are like the 50# 2nd gen. That is all I know of them. The slope angle, roundness, width, texture, and even a sharp edge make a difference in the way a blob feels. Look at the mighty mitts, so many guys should have got those blobs but I hear they were fairly slick in feel.

Juha from Finland really wants a Blobzilla. Maybe splitting the dumbbell can save enough money?

Daniel, which Blobs belonged to you in the Vise Grip Viking contest in January?

The 50# Blob, 52# fatman and the 65# Blobzilla.

Speaking about blobs. I have heard from Paul (aka viper) mentioned it somewhere here on the gripboard that Laine snatched the 66lb legacy from the hard side with two fingers and a thumb. Is there a video for that? Not doubting the gaint at all (he is not timmy after all or any newly unknown member) but want to see this amazing feat! Thats the strongest feat of pinch i have heard to date

Speaking about blobs. I have heard from Paul (aka viper) mentioned it somewhere here on the gripboard that Laine snatched the 66lb legacy from the hard side with two fingers and a thumb. Is there a video for that? Not doubting the gaint at all (he is not timmy after all or any newly unknown member) but want to see this amazing feat! Thats the strongest feat of pinch i have heard to date

Hi,

I did not snatch a 30kg blob from the hard side with only 2 fingers - that never happened. I remember cleaning 1, cleaning 2, and a snatch with 1.

Hope that helps,

Good luck,

Laine

Daniel, you mention hand size is over rated and then state your hand length.

I'm curious before commenting further, what's the length of your thumbs?

MORE when I read your reply.

Also, if not too much trouble can you post a pic with your stronger hand on a Blob50

as if you were going to lift it? Knowing your hand length the pic would be ideal if shown from

the thumb side.

Almost forgot! I'm in NO WAY questioning Daniel's strength at these lifts! I do find his statement concerning hand size

perplexing.

Thanks!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Hi, I did not snatch a 30kg blob from the hard side with only 2 fingers - that never happened. I remember cleaning 1, cleaning 2, and a snatch with 1. Hope that helps, Good luck, Laine

So you snatched it on the easy side with two fingers? or with all fingers hard side?

Joe,

Fatman blob before takeoff

photobucket-16999-1331397119547.jpg

Fatman facelift (middle and ring doing the work, index not wrapping and pinky on the side)

photobucket-3389-1331397107930.jpg

IM loading pin showing axle overlap that bugs me

photobucket-3398-1331397093306.jpg

Same pin, showing an alternate grip where index moves to give thumb a spot on the bar

photobucket-19589-1331397081025.jpg

9 3/8" span stretched

photobucket-19968-1331396927533.jpg

• Like 1

My take on this is... bloblifting ability = (hand size) X (hand strength)^2

• Like 1

After more thought I have revised the formula. I have decent strength and hand size but am not performing as I should. This is were the wuss factor comes in. My woosiness is a large # so my overall ability shrinks..

blob lifting ability = (hand size) X (hand strength)^2

.........................................(wussiness)...............................

Thanks for the pics Daniel!

It appears that your thumb is over 2" in length. What I was going to mention is that one can have

a long hand length but short thumbs. One can also have shorter hand length with long thumbs which appears

to be your case.

My hand length is 7" with 2" thumbs and my hand span is 8". With this ratio one can conclude without measuring my

hand that I have short thumbs. In your case, your thumb appears to be 2-1/2" long. That 1/2" can be huge when it comes to lifts that are hand size dependent. When I placed my hand over the face of my Blob50 my finger tips barely made it over the edge of the face (not even an 1/8"). IMO this is a big difference and can't be excluded when factoring in hand size.

I think hand size is an important factor for these lifts and can be advantageous depending on the implement and the

construction of one's hands. One thing for certain, anatomically speaking a longer lever arm can yield more leverage

than a shorter one. This is what perplexed me in your statement about hand size being over rated. That's all. No big deal just wanted to clarify these points.

For the record, what impresses me the most about you and your abilities regardless of your hand geometry is your progress is such a short interval of time. I can't say in my 30 years involvement in grip that I've seen faster legit progress than yours. Adam Glass being a possible exception.

You amaze me and continue to do so!

Thanks again!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My Blob50

took me a long time till finally i got it

still working on the YORK number 50 ive got , its tougher

hand size is very important , the smaller the hand the tougher it will be, my dreams of lifting a wide HEX or blob by the face will never happen, but there are other lifts you can focus on