Thumb Training Question

TrexKare

I dislike plate pinching. Due to the fact that my hands aren't exactly large, pinching weight is a bit difficult with the plates that I have (I have to stick multiple plates together and pinch them, so I can't hold the most I can hold) but I think I found a different way to do it.

I've found that I can hold a 3lb plate, with my fingers spread around it, with a stopper at the very end of a dumbbell. I could easily load plates on the other end of the dumbbell, but I'm not sure if this will train my thumb strength as much as sideways pinching, because my fingers are much more spread out.

Is this a good substitute? I have no other way to workout my thumb to my knowledge (I do grippers, thick rope pull ups, one handed hangs (no dip belt for added weight so I just do it for time) and hanging a weight between the handles of my grippers.) so I thought I'd ask you guys about this

If you want to have stronger thumbs then buy a pony clamp at home dopot and do thumb closes. Once you get stronger you will like plate pinching better.

What is your hand size BTW.

If you want to have stronger thumbs then buy a pony clamp at home dopot and do thumb closes. Once you get stronger you will like plate pinching better.

What is your hand size BTW.

Not quite sure how to measure this properly. Finger length/size, width, what?

Once I understand what you mean, I'll gladly post measurements

Edited by TrexKare

7.5 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger, width is about 3.8, and to the tip of my thumb (L spread) is 6 even

Definitely not goliath hands.

Well, I don't HATE pinching, but I just feel that I can't get the most out of it because the heaviest plates I have at the moment are 10's, and I can't really hold 3 at a time. I can hold 2 for maybe 25 seconds at a time, but I felt that was a little long so I want to move up to 10-15 seconds, and I was wondering if doing it like I am now (holding a flat plate with my fingers spread around it) would still be working my thumb decently, or if its even worth adding to my routine. Currently:

Sprained my wrist a while back, and after work it hurts a bit so pulling exercises hurt me, so depending on the day it might include rope pulls.

Gripper 100lb x 10 with slight assistance

Gripper 50lb x 20 overcrushes

Gripper 100lb x 10 slight assistance

Gripper 50lb plate hold (I have a wrist roller, and the part that holds the weight slips off, and I can pinch it between the thin loop) 5lbs for time

Gripper 100lb click attempt

Fail at 100lb attempt and cry for 5 minutes because I have child hands

Resume training with 50lb overcrush hold x 4

I switch it up every other training day by turning the gripper over in my hand and trying some like that, not often though

Also, is almost being able to get a click with 100lbs decent for someone who has never lifted weights or trained a sport? Would also like to add that I'm 17. I dont set the grippers, or etc, I go from fully open to trying to crush the piss out of it till it grinds.

Edited by TrexKare