The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

On 11-4-2017 at 7:13 PM, Shoggoth said:

Thanks man! Gail's not happy with me shrinking.  I tell her how much I can still easily lose and she's "oh that's too small. You don't want to be that small do you?" I don't want to be fat. I can be bigger again but build it properly. 

Lol I am 216lbs and could perhaps use some more musclemass, but it's better to be on the safer side as we grow older than to pack a lot of mass by continuesly eating. Objectively I don't find myself skinny at all. I just don't think it's healthy past a certain age to be big. And I agree, better creating some space to grow properly than the need to shrink bodyfat. 

• Like 2

April 17, 2017

Afternoon 

Week 15 press. Last cycle. Freaking bonked bad. Ate a bunch of carbs Saturday evening and throughout Sunday and it's wreaking havoc on me mentally and physically. Back to keto. 

Really sucked today. I should've just did a 5x2 with 80%. 

Fighter PU

Seated BB Press WU to 165 x 4/4/3 dammit! Couldn't hit reps, sets, or nothing. 

CS Row 200 x 3 x 5r

April 17, 2017

Before Supper

Week 14 squat. All messed up yet from having carbs the past couple of days. Hopefully I get feeling right by Thursday I'm hoping. Just went with some easy volume on the squat and got to try out my new Flask. If I can make some modest gains over the next couple of months I may be able to get on the top 10 leader board. Maybe. 

Fighter Pull-ups

15" Box Squat WU to 360 x 8 x 2r

MMS Grippers to GHP7

164# Elite Forcers 3 x 1r

Flask Picks WU to 86# for a few, hop 86.9#
  • Like 1

April 20, 2017

Afternoon 

Week 14 bench. Fhaak! This one really, really lagged too so I just hit a few reps and sets and called it good. Looking back through my journal from last year it looks like I had my best benching success using Shaf's ladders so I think I'll be making the switch. I'll also start taking my overhead stuff outside next week as well. 

Fighter PU

SS 
Bench Press WU to 270 x 5 x 3r
BB Row WU to 275 x 5 x 3r
  • Like 1

April 21, 2017

Afternoon 

Week 14 deads. 

Fighter PU

Deadlift WU to 455 felt heavy so I stopped here. Back has been acting up over the past week and I don't want to give it the ammunition to really tell me to piss off. 

2.5" Crusher 103 x 4 x 5r, 15/10

45 Plate Hubbing 
  • Like 1

April 22, 2017

Afternoon 

Day 1 of starting the Shaf ladders again. Going to try the 3 days per week of them. Saturday will be just the minimum, Monday they'll follow shoulder presses and the assistance will be more shoulder and triceps focused, and Thursday they'll lead with the assistance being more chest and triceps stuff. I also want to match all pressing with similar weighted rows for equal sets and reps. I'll also be continuing the fighter pull-ups. 

Deads will probably be 4 rotating heights with only a top lift from the floor every 4th week. Warm-ups to the 80% range will all be from the floor as well. 

Squats I'll probably follow Jesse Jobe's wave program. 

Shaf SS
Bench and BB Row WU to 250 x 3 x 1/2/3r

SS
Y Pulls 2 x 20r
GHR Crunch 2 x 15r

EZ Curl 45 x 1 x 50r
  • Like 1

April 24, 2017

Before Supper

Day 1 of standing presses this year. Last time was September 24 of last year and I was over 20# heavier. 

Standing Press WU to 185 x 3 x 5r

Fighter Pull-ups 5/4/3/2/2 - keeping hollow. I actually think I'm stronger like this. 

Bench Press WU to 255 x 3 x 1/2/3r

CS Row 200 x 3 x 8r - SS after bench triples

SS
EZ Upright Row 85 x 3 x 10r
Band Pressdowns LT x 3 x 30r - paused lockouts 
Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 1

Very nice standing presses!

Do you have body weight-lifting records you can shoot for at your new body weight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Very nice standing presses!

Do you have body weight-lifting records you can shoot for at your new body weight?

Thanks Eric! I was thinking looking at your log overhead press might be the only lift I have a couple pounds in you now. Maybe. Haha!

Never really tracked my lifts against my bodyweight. Probably be less depressing these days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Thanks Eric! I was thinking looking at your log overhead press might be the only lift I have a couple pounds in you now. Maybe. Haha!

Never really tracked my lifts against my bodyweight. Probably be less depressing these days. 

Haha, no question about it. You've got me on the overhead stuff!

My bench has always been disproportionately less than my other lifts, but after my pec tear it became even more so. That's why I track my bench records relative to what I've done after the injury. Far less depressing. But I'm actually starting to creep up on my best ever, which was a competition press of 340.  

You should consider a powerlifting meet!

Edited by EricMilfeld

5 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Haha, no question about it. You've got me on the overhead stuff!

My bench has always been disproportionately less than my other lifts, but after my pec tear it became even more so. That's why I track my bench records relative to what I've done after the injury. Far less depressing. But I'm actually starting to creep up on my best ever, which was a competition press of 340.  

You should consider a powerlifting meet!

I'm thinking about trying Highland Games this year. Quite a few of the guys that have been getting into grip up here are regular competitors and travel all over the world with it. I may even do okay in the masters class. I was thinking it'd probably help keep me healthy as well. 

• Like 1

Highland Games looks like a lot of fun. Maybe safer than strongman, for example. Safety is something I'm much more concerned with as I get older. 

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Highland Games looks like a lot of fun. Maybe safer than strongman, for example. Safety is something I'm much more concerned with as I get older. 

I'm thinking throwing (properly) will be good for flexibility and the joints. Core strength will be prettt good too. I hear it's grip that holds a lot of competitors back and where I'm currently at is well beyond most for around here at least. 

• Like 1

April 25, 2017

Before Supper

Was going to be a volume oriented squat day but I gave my back a good twinge throwing junk around last night looking for my big dumbbell handle. Luckily I have squat options!

SS
Fighter Pull-ups 5/4/3/3/2
Hip Belt - Landmine Squat
90 x 3 x 8r
135/160 x 8
180 x 5 x 8r

Calf Raises BW x 40/40/30

Gripper Forcers between Sets E x 3 x 1r

Flask 1HP
WU to 80.8 x 3 x 1r
Holds 71 x 20s/13s, 20s/4s
  • Like 1

April 27, 2017

Before Supper

Fourth bench session in a week. Getting work in without killing myself and ramping up the ladder. I've sure got one helluva tired back though. 3 weeks now of 6 days a week is adding up. Here's to some super compensation!

Bench Press WU to 260 x 3 x 1/2/3r

Between Sets
Fighter Pull-ups 5/5/4/3/2
Band Y's 20/25/30

After Bench Triples
CS Row 205 x 8/8/12r

Dip +75(310) x 3 x 5r

2.5" Crusher 108 x 5/5/5/5/15
  • Like 1

April 28, 2017

Before Supper 

Day 1 of progressive RoM training for my deads. 8 weeks at 3/4" a week for 6 weeks, 1.5" for week 7, and a week 8 deload. No accessory back today as it's a non-pull-up day so I want all the recovery I can get. Using my old Rogue bar. 

Deadlift - 7 Mat
135/225/315 x 5
365/405/435 x 3
455 x 8 + 4 - rest paused

BB DO Hold 365 x 15s, 315 x 30s

Hanging Leg Raise +45 x 4 x 5r

Standing Calf Raise BW x 45/45/35
  • Like 1

April 29, 2017

Before Supper 

Day 4 Shaf ladder benching. Something I noticed the other day is besides my elbow feeling better my year plus of shoulder pain is gone. I'd guess it's the more back volume and frequency plus doing some form of rear delt work three times a week. 

Fighter Pull-ups 6/5/4/3/2

Bench Press WU to 265 x 3 x 1/2/3r

Band Y's x 3 x 25r

BB Row 265 x 3 x 6r

May 1, 2017

Afternoon 

First day out pressing my axle and day 5 of Shaf Ladders for bench. 

Axle Press
WU to 213 x 1
178 x 5

Bench Press WU to 270 x 3 x 1/2/3r
Fighter PU during warmups x 6/5/4/4/3

CS Row after triples 210 x 3 x 8r

SS
EZ Upright Row 90 x 3 x 10r
Band Pressdowns w/holds LT x 40/30/30
  • Like 1

You're getting close to a body weight overhead press. Nice!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

You're getting close to a body weight overhead press. Nice!

Definitely plan on it this summer. 

• Like 1

May 2, 2017

Before Supper

Day 1 of using one of the 5/3/1 templates for my squat. Decided to ride out the SSB for a couple of cycles as well. 

Started incorporating the McGill 3 back as my warmup again. It does help a lot. I just get lazy and stop doing it when I'm feeling better then end up hurt again. 

I'm going to give myself a couple days rest from all of the pull-ups and start again with the weighted 12 day cycle. 

McGill 3 (McGill Crunches, Side Planks, and Bird-Dags)

SSB Squat
260/300 x 5
340 x 7
260 x 4 x 8r

Suppers on so I called it here. 
  • Like 1

dwted

Edited by Shoggoth

May 4, 2017

Before Supper 

Day 6 of the Shaf Bench Ladders and my 7th bench day in 2 weeks. 

SS
Bench Press WU to 275 x 2 x 1/2/3, 1/2/2/3 - misgrooved on the second last set
Band Y's x 20/25/30/30

SS
Dip +75(311.6) x 3 x 5r, 5-3-2 RP'd
Pull-ups +15(252.6) x 3/2/1/1

Push-Ups x 25/20/20
  • Like 1