Whats The Best Deadlift Variation For Me?

Jones1874

Ive always avoided Deadlifting because ive been a bit worried about injuring myself because ive heard of so many people who pull their backs out. thats probably down to their form more than anything.

anyway, i want to start because my low back is pi$s weak. also, im wondering which variation will suit me best? im looking for a variation which will work my low back more intensely, and my legs to a lesser degree. when i train legs i find they get so sore that they need the full week to recover.

if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If your core musculature is weak, any dead lift variation will put more stress on the low back. I would say to go with conventional or trap bar dead lifts... although form and balanced muscle groups are needed to perform both exercises (not knowing your current training ability), I would say either will give you benefits. I would alternate exercises though so you can "surprise" your body and keep things fresh... I find if I complete the same exercises each week, I become bored... variety switches things up and brings the program to life.

Good luck

I would honestly start with reading all you can from sources like Westside Barbell and Elite FTS.....read all their articles and watch all their videos on how to squat, deadlift and do good mornings properly among other exercises. Learn how to properly structure your workouts and develop a good program for yourself.

When training properly, your legs should not be sore for an entire week.....and when using proper form, your lower back will not be at any greater risk than normal.

If your core musculature is weak, any dead lift variation will put more stress on the low back. I would say to go with conventional or trap bar dead lifts... although form and balanced muscle groups are needed to perform both exercises (not knowing your current training ability), I would say either will give you benefits. I would alternate exercises though so you can "surprise" your body and keep things fresh... I find if I complete the same exercises each week, I become bored... variety switches things up and brings the program to life.

Good luck

i think you might have hit the nail on the head when you mentioned muscle imbalances. i think that muscle imbalances may be more of a problem more so than form. to be honest. when i do any exercises im always focused on getting my form down before adding weight. i think the problem is that i have tight hip flexors (which im working on), plus, i cant seem to feel my glutes or hamstrings getting involved in the lift. I think theyve 'deactivated' as they put it. I do sit around a lot, which obviously doesnt help, but now im not sure what i should do..

should i fix each individual problem before deadlifting, or start deadlifting to strengthen my low back and fix the problems along the way?

It's sounds like you are thinking too much really. Move more - use light weights and do the exercises - and do many different movements. The biggest problem I see with most people is they are reading too much and lifting and moving too little. At the level it sounds like you are - you don't need (and are not ready for) all the advanced solutions to problems that you may not even have once you start doing things.

It's sounds like you are thinking too much really. Move more - use light weights and do the exercises - and do many different movements. The biggest problem I see with most people is they are reading too much and lifting and moving too little. At the level it sounds like you are - you don't need (and are not ready for) all the advanced solutions to problems that you may not even have once you start doing things.

very true. thats exactly what i seem to find myself doing. too much reading and not enough moving. thanks for putting it in perspective.

ive just been searching google for glute activation exercises so im gonna do those daily aswell to see how i come along. i hate not training my legs. its not only crap being skinny, but weak as well.. pffffft. time to shape up.

very true. thats exactly what i seem to find myself doing. too much reading and not enough moving. thanks for putting it in perspective.

ive just been searching google for glute activation exercises so im gonna do those daily aswell to see how i come along. i hate not training my legs. its not only crap being skinny, but weak as well.. pffffft. time to shape up.

Good advice by Chris, as usual. For a start I would mix a DL variation into the leg training, either the romanian DL or the stiff legged DL (stiff, NOT straight, legs do slightly bend, using your normal range of motion, no standing on a bench).

Both helpful to work lumbars, glutes and hamstrings together, just like they work in every day life.

Alex, you can never think too much. Thinking is GOOD!

Think, Move, Re-Think, Move Again! Repeat!

Give this some thought but don't forget to MOVE! LOL!

I can tell from all your questions you're new at a lot of things looking for direction, guidance, etc.

Any problem can be solved by asking the right questions.

Stay with it my friend!!!

Just start out light and don't go up too fast such that you end up humping your deadlifts.

If you're looking for a good glute exercise you should try the barbell hip thrust? exercise that Bret Contreras is so fond of. It's a good exercise and as a bonus it's almost impossible to hurt yourself doing them. The downside is that it might be the most uncomfortable exercise I've ever done. :)

As for hamstrings I've found that arch-back good mornings have worked well for strengthening them.

Mark Rippetoe (starting strength), and Pavel Tsatsouline (Power to the people), have some good things to say for people starting with deadlift training. Most important thing is to keep your lumbar spine locked in a neutral position so as to not stress the ligaments or discs in the lower back. To do this, a certain amount of hip mobility is required. Hip flexor, hamstring and other hips stretches can help with this.

Mark Rippetoe (starting strength), and Pavel Tsatsouline (Power to the people), have some good things to say for people starting with deadlift training. Most important thing is to keep your lumbar spine locked in a neutral position so as to not stress the ligaments or discs in the lower back. To do this, a certain amount of hip mobility is required. Hip flexor, hamstring and other hips stretches can help with this.

Segmental differences is another important consideration. This is when you have different limb lengths (or segment lengths) compared to average.

The difference between a long arm DL'er and a short arm DL'er is significant when it comes to floor and hip angles. One length changes and they all change. This is why no one can tell you what's the best DL variation for an individual without working with that individual and discovering what that individuals differences are anatomically speaking. Not to mention the many other factors and variables that must be considered.

BTW, Mark Rippetoe is top notch in my book. His friend Lon Gilgore is equally among the same ranks. Both are extremely knowledgeable

in their respected fields.

If you're insecure on how to execute some of the lifts, you can read and find alot of info on different sites which many have mentioned already. But if you have the possibility, you really should visit a real athlete club/powerlifting gym. Or record the lifts so we can take a look on them. Take it from different angles. One should be directly from the side, another one can be at 45 degrees towards your front.

And as a general tip; try to keep your training as simple as possible. It's easy to read too much and lose track of what really is important.

Edited by Martin_Arildsson